Apple buys multi-lens, DSLR-quality camera tech with $20M purchase of LinX Imaging

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

It is NOT "DSLR Quality".  Typical tech-hype from people banking on people being too ignorant to know better.  AI should know better than to give this shop headline cred with such bullsh!t claims.

A 35mm SLR sensor will flat-out always beat some tiny 1/4th of a fingernail-sized sensor.  It's plain physics.  The large surface area will always be better at collecting the maximum amount of light than some tiny peephole.  Couple that with a good lens, again... huge glass to collect light, and it's a no brainer.

While I don't completely disagree, however there is going to be a point that small sensors approaches the quality of DSLR in the future and DSLR will relegate to a very small niche market.

I remember years ago I was told "LCD monitors will never reach the performance of a quality CRT because turning each physical liquid crystal will never be as fast as shooting electrons in a CRT".  Just look around, no more CRTs because the LCD's are cheaper to ship, easier to manufacture (eventually) and CRT just didn't matter anymore.

• Reply 22 of 88
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

hahaha!, it is software based. This is DSLR quality as much as the Apple watch is a dress watch. Basically geared to the lowest common denominator in society who know no better.

• Reply 23 of 88
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Right.

What happens when most people are pleased enough with their phone pics they don't bother calling a "professional" anymore?

Most people are already pleased with their pics (just look at the crap they post online...), only the top end (prosumer and pro) will eventually survive. The future is now...  The problem is that, just because you have the tech to take decent pictures, doesn't give you the talent/skills/motivation to do so.

In many case, they should probably get a pro to take their pictures, at least their wedding pictures... 

I hope they would have shame and read up 10 minutes on composition!

But, who I am kidding, their perfectly fine with posting hundreds of millions of perfectly deplorable pictures :-).

I sometimes feel like I'm stuck in one of those old endless slideshows were someone with no skills or talent showed off every single instant of their dull existence and we couldn't leave because that would offend them to their core!

• Reply 24 of 88
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    20 million! Sound like a bargin .... Im still baffled over the 3 billion acquisition of Beats .
  • Reply 25 of 88
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

While I don't completely disagree, however there is going to be a point that small sensors approaches the quality of DSLR in the future and DSLR will relegate to a very small niche market.

I remember years ago I was told "LCD monitors will never reach the performance of a quality CRT because turning each physical liquid crystal will never be as fast as shooting electrons in a CRT".  Just look around, no more CRTs because the LCD's are cheaper to ship, easier to manufacture (eventually) and CRT just didn't matter anymore.

dSLR's are already a "niche" market.  Always have been.  There are a gazillion iPhone cameras in the hands of people all over the world, and maybe 1% (??) SLR/Mirrorless users?

I remember back in the day about the LCD/CRT debate as well.  There is a huge difference though, and like the phone/SLR sensors, it all comes down to its physical attributes.

Using your LCD/CRT analogy, the current camera debate is like saying a 2" LCD monitor will boast 27" LCD quality which is simply not true, and never will be.

A 10" LCD monitor and a 10" CRT monitor is a level playing field.  Comparing a tiny pencil-eraser sensor-size to a huge 35mm sensor size is laughable to say the least.  It's disingenuous for AI, and LinX to imply that the capability exists.  

In five years, when LinX supposedly hits that quality, let's compare that to the quality of an SLR/Mirrorless sensor that has also evolved five years down the road.  It'll still be no contest.

• Reply 26 of 88
    kicsikekicsike Posts: 17member
    I cannot agree more with the comment by sflocal.
    There is no comparison of quality between a 35mm and a tiny sensor.
  • Reply 27 of 88
    Quote:

Next AI headline... "Mini Cooper boasts Lamborghini-like results".  Why not AI?  It's about as nonsense as your headline.

Or how about "$88K electric car boasts Lamborghini-like results"?

A few years ago that headline would have been mocked as nonsense.

• Reply 28 of 88
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

It is NOT "DSLR Quality".  Typical tech-hype from people banking on people being too ignorant to know better.  AI should know better than to give this shop headline cred with such bullsh!t claims.

A 35mm SLR sensor will flat-out always beat some tiny 1/4th of a fingernail-sized sensor.  It's plain physics.  The large surface area will always be better at collecting the maximum amount of light than some tiny peephole.  Couple that with a good lens, again... huge glass to collect light, and it's a no brainer.

I love my iP6+ and it takes wonderful photos.  Anything to make those little cameras even better is great for me, and great for everyone.  That being said, it is nowhere near the quality I get with my 35mm Canon 5D Mark III on a bad day.  Assuming the 35mm segment stops innovating from this point forward, perhaps in 5 years it could be better, but its not going to happen.  It will just be 35mm mirrorless cameras or even more high-end dSLR sensors, but that market is not standing still at all.

Next AI headline... "Mini Cooper boasts Lamborghini-like results".  Why not AI?  It's about as nonsense as your headline.

Couldn't disagree with you more.  DSLR's couldn't innovate anymore slowly.  Basically the same product for the history of the device.  More megapixels, better light sensitivity.  That's it.  I noticed you said you got a 5D?  How'd you feel being raped by Canon - paying through the nose for an extra memory slot and a few extra focus points?  In fact - a big part DSLR's are stuck in their form and function are the huge ass lenses they need to keep supporting.  They have no hope against Apple.

• Reply 29 of 88

I wish they wouldn't use tech from Israeli companies. It makes me feel really bad about using Apple products.

• Reply 30 of 88

• Reply 31 of 88
    It's entirely possible to have similar quality, but a different experience. Nobody is suggesting that one can achieve medium format style rendering of depth of field in a future iPhone update, but depth of field is hardly the only measure of quality.

Like the other commenter said "Next AI headline... "Mini Cooper boasts Lamborghini-like results" -- that is entirely possible if we're talking about how well the air conditioning works or how comfortable the seats are.

So let's not get too worried about the DSLR quality claim. It's entirely possible.
  • Reply 32 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Or how about "$88K electric car boasts Lamborghini-like results"?

A few years ago that headline would have been mocked as nonsense.

You mean the GM EV1 beating out a Porsche 911 back in the 90's?  Not nonsense at all.  Again, that's a similar comparison.

Why is this such a difficult concept to grasp?  I'm talking about physical size limitations here.  An equal size Tesla outrunning an equal size Lamborghini is fair game.

A tiny sensor beating out a sensor 100 times its size is not the same thing.  No matter what one does, that tiny sensor can only collect so much light, versus that larger sensor able to capture 100-times more light.  What's so difficult to understand?

If SLR/Mirrorless sensors halted evolution NOW, then maybe in 5 years perhaps iPhone cameras can reach the level of SLR capabilities from TODAY's SLR sensors.  That will not happen because SLR/Mirrorless sensors in FIVE YEARS will also be better than what they are now.  This is not a p!ssing-contest.  It's simply physics.

• Reply 33 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Mark View Post

It's entirely possible to have similar quality, but a different experience. Nobody is suggesting that one can achieve medium format style rendering of depth of field in a future iPhone update, but depth of field is hardly the only measure of quality.

Like the other commenter said "Next AI headline... "Mini Cooper boasts Lamborghini-like results" -- that is entirely possible if we're talking about how well the air conditioning works or how comfortable the seats are.

So let's not get too worried about the DSLR quality claim. It's entirely possible.

Having driven both Lamborghinis and Mini-Coopers, I can say they both drive harshly, but the MiniCooper has a bitch!n A/C system. :)

I love both cameras.  I just have issues with the sensaltionalist headlines from folks that purposely do that to make their web-click quota and justify their job titles, which means they succeeded.

• Reply 34 of 88

What is of most interest to me:

[QUOTE]
    The 3D data can allow applications to measure the true dimensions of objects, create 3D object modeling, and also accomplish real-time background replacement in video.
    [/QUOTE]

Measuring dimensions facilitates indoor mapping/navigation and complements Apple's purchase of WiFiSLAM.

3D Object modeling facilitates gesture recognition (ala MS Kinect) -- and complements Apple's purchase of PrimeSense.

Real-time background replacement in video has lots of possibles -- such as a bokeh effect to highlight the subject by blurring the background.

The latter could be used for immediate instant-replay highlighting -- such as a play in futbal, football, basketball, ringolevio ...

There is nothing that says that this tech needs to be limited to mobile or iPhone-sized device ...
  • Reply 35 of 88

1999 - Digital camera revolution starts

2007 - iPhone launched

2010 - digital camera sales peak

2014 - 40,000 digital cameras sold(almost back to pre digital sales volume)

2015 - Apple sold 192,000,000 iPhones in the past year.

iPhone sales = 4800X traditional digital camera market

DSLRs are not a niche, cameras that are only cameras are a niche.

• Reply 36 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post

I wish they wouldn't use tech from Israeli companies. It makes me feel really bad about using Apple products.

Why?

• Reply 37 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

There is nothing that says that this tech needs to be limited to mobile or iPhone-sized device ...

<cough> GoPro <cough>

• Reply 38 of 88
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post

If you really mean that, then don't look at what other tech companies have development centers in Israel. You will feel bad using about anything that plugs in and connects to the internet. 

• Reply 39 of 88
    gerry ggerry g Posts: 39member
    how about Apple stop over post processing its camera images and uses a better sensor like most every one else, hop into Photoshop and put a 1 pixel median blur on any DSLR image and then go compare it to a typical Apple iPhone image and note the simile all over cauliflower head like pattern on the image.
  • Reply 40 of 88
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Well maybe when I can fit this on my iPhone. Nice color match gotta admit ... image ...

And you use that L for your "home" DSRL? How many "Home" DSRL user have that kind of lenses? Please, you're talking about Pro or Semi Pro here. I'm talking about home average Joe.