Teen interest in Apple Watch wanes ahead of launch, most want device for style and design

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited May 2015
A fresh survey of U.S. teen consumers shows waning interest in Apple Watch ahead of the wearable's debut later this month, with one analyst predicting the important demographic will take a "wait and see" approach to purchasing.

In a recent Piper Jaffray survey of approximately 6,200 teens, 11 percent said they plan to purchase an Apple Watch at launch, down from 16 percent in October. Analyst Gene Munster believes purchase intent was dampened as a "killer app" or feature has yet to surface.

Interest in Apple's device appears to be higher than sector competitors, as 5 percent of respondents said they currently own a smartwatch, a number down from 7 percent in fall.

Munster expect teens to become a major market driver for Apple Watch once influencers, or celebrities, popularize the device. Apple is already getting pricey Apple Watch Edition units into the hands of high profile musicians who can all but guarantee wide exposure. Pharrell Williams last week sported a yellow gold Edition during a taping of his primetime NBC show "The Voice," while Drake popped up at Coachella on Friday wearing similar version. Both Pharrell and Drake have massive social media followings.

Looking deeper into the survey's responses, it appears Apple's aggressive marketing of Watch as fashion accessory has paid off, as 74 percent of teens listed style as the top reason for wanting the device. Following close behind with 72 percent was design, while 64 percent of teens said messaging and notification features were most important. App selection and brand recognition came in fourth and fifth with a respective 61 and 60 percent of the vote.

Beyond Watch, Munster found iPhone and iPad remained as teens' go-to smartphone and tablet selections. Survey responses showed 66 percent of teens owned an iPhone, down slightly from 67 percent in fall, but 72 percent said they plan to make Apple's device their next smartphone. For iPad, 64 percent of teens said they owned the tablet versus 66 percent in fall, with 60 percent intending to purchase a model in the future.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Teens are probably not the target demographic for the Apple Watch.. I doubt their parents would be spending that much on an accessory..Those kids need to finish school and get decent paying jobs first..
  • Reply 2 of 66
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member

Wait until they figure out how it can be used on tests in class. Then everyone will want one! 

• Reply 3 of 66
    How many teens have watches that cost more than $100? I'm glad they are interested, and that they like the style and design. That bodes well for the future. But I imagine they would rather focus on having the latest iPhone and a car to drive.
  • Reply 4 of 66
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I've said this before, but I don't really think that teens are an important market for this watch.

Firstly, the Apple Watch does require an iPhone + cell plan, so an Apple Watch is not something that every teen will be able to afford.

Luckily, there are plenty of other groups (people with jobs) that can actually afford an Apple Watch and there will be no shortage of customers for the Apple watch.

• Reply 5 of 66
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    The last "Killer App" was the spreadsheet... Analysts need to move past this tired concept.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Oh God I knew the Applelogists would fill the comments section.
  • Reply 7 of 66
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Piper Jaffrey survey? Move along nothing to see here.
  • Reply 8 of 66

Birthday gift

Christmas gift

Hanukkah gift

Kwanza gift

Graduation present

just wait.

• Reply 9 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Geekmee View Post

The last "Killer App" was the spreadsheet... Analysts need to move past this tired concept.

Have you even played Candy Crush bro?

• Reply 10 of 66
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Wait until they figure out how it can be used on tests in class. Then everyone will want one! 

I've been saying this since Tim Cook first showed off the taptic engine. Once kids figure out they can communicate while leaving their iPhones in their pockets during class, there will be a run on these watches. 

• Reply 11 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Graduation present

just wait.

I've said all along there's a reason they're releasing the watch in the Spring -- just in time for graduations, the time of year more watches are likely given than any other. And it's another reason I expect to see April as the annual refresh date.

• Reply 12 of 66
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Geekmee View Post

The web browser?

• Reply 13 of 66
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

I've been saying this since Tim Cook first showed off the taptic engine. Once kids figure out they can communicate while leaving their iPhones in their pockets during class, there will be a run on these watches. 

They all need to learn morse code to tap to each other with the taptic engine. :)

• Reply 14 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Oh God I knew the Applelogists would fill the comments section.

Anybody with common sense knows that what teens might think about any Apple Watch is pretty much irrelevant.

• Reply 15 of 66
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Interest waned when the teens realized that they couldn't afford it and their parents didn't see any reason to buy it when they can get an iPhone subsidized through a wireless carrier. That reality thing is a bitch.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I've said this before, but I don't really think that teens are an important market for this watch.

While I'm inclined to agree with you, this article: 

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/185694/apple-sunk-38m-on-apple-watch-tv-ads-since-march-report-says

pretty much suggests that Apple spent most of its advertising money on highly rated popular teen broadcasts: 

Quote:

AMC's "The Walking Dead," NBC's "The Voice" and the NCAA basketball championship tournament Apple recently ramped up advertising for Monday's championship game between Duke and Wisconsin, ensuring a good swath of younger consumers got eyes-on time.

Now granted there are a fair number of adults watching those shows as well, but outside of March Madness, I've got to think there are better shows that target a more adult demographic. Add to that the celebrities like Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry & Drake, whom Apple has given the watch out to, and it seems likely Apple thinks teens are an important market for the watch.

• Reply 17 of 66
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:

pretty much suggests that Apple spent most of its advertising money on highly rated popular teen broadcasts: 

You're getting teen and 18-24 and 25-34 confused. Walking Dead is among the highest rated show in the 18-49 group. The Voice also targets 18-49.

• Reply 18 of 66
    Quote:

While I'm inclined to agree with you, this article: 

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/185694/apple-sunk-38m-on-apple-watch-tv-ads-since-march-report-says

Now granted there are a fair number of adults watching those shows as well, but outside of March Madness, I've got to think there are better shows that target a more adult demographic. Add to that the celebrities like Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry & Drake, whom Apple has given the watch out to, and it seems likely Apple thinks teens are an important market for the watch.

I have cable, and I've actually seen quite a few Apple Watch commercials popping up lately among certain shows that I was watching.

• Reply 19 of 66
    Gene sure does like to poll the teens.
    konqerror wrote: »
    You're getting teen and 18-24 and 25-34 confused. Walking Dead is among the highest rated show in the 18-49 group. The Voice also targets 18-49.
    Exactly. 18-24 is the young adult realm. I'm guessing he wasn't polling that group.

Teenage design tastes are fickle just as the moving from dance to dance or more fittingly hashtag to hashtag. I don't think Apple is looking to that demographic at all. It's pretty evident when every ? Watch is more expensive than the iPod Touch.
  • Reply 20 of 66
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    They just need to get Smily Milus and Bustin Jeever to wear them.