emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by mac's girl:

<strong>

oooh, what'd ya buy? </strong><hr></blockquote>

He got an iBook.
  • Reply 82 of 99
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macmedia:

<strong>Shany is one of the few that had it right. This situation has a LOT more to do with the economy than with the Apple's hardware offerings.

As someone that works in the industry I know firsthand that Corporate America isn't spending the money that they were 2 years ago and that trickle down has affected the graphics industry in huge way. I know of several firms in town that have laid off people, drastically reduced their print/web departments or just plain shut down.

These companies sure as hell aren't going to be buying new Macs regardless of how fast they are.

Has anyone considered that Apple is sitting on things a bit until the market recovers somewhat? I find it hard to believe personally but it makes me wonder. If no one has the capital to buy "new" products, why go to the huge expense of making them?

I don't think we're going to see anything at MWNY that is going to be so radically different that it will really appease most of the people on this board.

Chas</strong><hr></blockquote>

dear god. you are delusional. Yes Apple is sitting on things. they enjoy their powermacs being crap.

come on. I have no problem with supporting Apple and not caring too much about the negatives but some of you guys backing up Apple are really using some lame ass excuses.
  • Reply 83 of 99
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Well, this was some humorous reading!

OK, first up we have the whole Nostradamus/PowerMac G4 thing. Hey, didn't PowerMacG4/Nostradamus used to always BS us in Future Hardware about upcoming Apple hardware? Nostradamus, you need a shrink man. You're obsessed with Apple and its hardware (clearly, who isn't that visits this board! ) and yet you're hatin' on them. And I don't feel like dredging up some of the drivel he's posted in the Future Hardware, so correct me if I'm wrong, but PowerMacG4/Nostradamus used to concoct some wild stories about really good (too good) future hardware coming Real Soon Now.

Nostradamus said:

[quote]

At least we now know why Apple executives were dumping stock.

<hr></blockquote>

Well of course now we know why! Because you said Apple is doomed! It all makes sense now! The execs at Apple must've seen this and said to themselves "oh crap, we gotta sell our APPL in a jiffy before this gets out!"

spindler said:

[quote]

Here's an interesting observation. The people who seem to think Apple is on shaky ground, such as me, Applenut, Nostradamus, and Junkyard Dawg all seem to quote actual sales statistics and long term trends. The people who argue vehemently that we are trolling don't have any numbers but merely repeat something hopeful from the current week's headlines, like

"The iMac is so hot that can't even meet demand" or

"Yeah they had an OK quarter this time but there's huge pent up demand for the iMac so NEXT quarter will be the killer" or

"Their sales are down but there's a recession" or

"Sales of the current model are just slow because everyone knows the next model is coming soon" or

"When Photoshop gets here everything will be alright" or

"When the performance problems of OS X are ironed out they'll be lots of people buying new machines"

"I don't have any numbers, but Apple must be doing better than ever because I just read that their marketshare doubled in Switzerland"

[ 06-18-2002: Message edited by: spindler ]

<hr></blockquote>

OK now that last one about switzerland was funny, but where the hell are the numbers in this statement:

[quote]

Nostradamus said:

Actually, Apple is doomed. Saying otherwise is absurd. There is no truth in between.

Apple's demise poses only two questions: when and how.

Given recent trends, there will be no Apple Computer in 5 years.

<hr></blockquote>

Oops. "Actually", spindler, it looks like Nostradamus just made you look stupid.

Jeez, I wanted my Dad to invest a LOT (if it were up to me I would've remorgaged the house or something, you should see the way I play Monopoly, and I NEVER lose) back in 1996. I saw an opportunity, since everyone thought Apple was going to die, and I "knew" it wasn't. Then stock went up like 800% or something. *sigh* we didn't invest, or I would have a nice shiny new Mac in front of me...

So, I think Apple will survive because of blind faith of many people. A large part of Apple's user base is rabidly pro-Apple and would continue using Macs way after Apple died, if it did. We're obsessed almost as bad as those Amiga people. Nostradamus, you are too, whether you want to admit it or not. Like someone else said, you're emotionally attached to Apple. Now, it's a healthy obsession, but here you're just taking it a bit too far. And applenut's a great poster, but I think he got stuck on the wrong side of the fence. Apple will NEVER go out of business, their user base is just too large. Or so I say, in my blind faith
  • Reply 84 of 99
    oh damnit applenut you posted just before me. My post wasn't a lameassed excuse was it?

I'm just too lazy to go get numbers Oh ok I'll admit it, I have blind faith
  • Reply 85 of 99
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatik:

<strong>oh damnit applenut you posted just before me. My post wasn't a lameassed excuse was it?

I'm just too lazy to go get numbers Oh ok I'll admit it, I have blind faith </strong><hr></blockquote>

good post. very amusing and you are right. I got stuck. Don't think I'm one of those people saying they are doomed, they are going to die. I'm not.
  • Reply 86 of 99
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    How is OS X immature when it's superior to OS 9 in a myriad of areas? I've used it every day since 10.1, and it?s quite suited for everyday use. I get greater stability, faster multitasking, and far fewer headaches than I did in OS 9. OS X is just plain superior. Not saying development is finished, but OS X is already an excellent, rock-solid OS. You can?t call OS X a problem any more. Developers are embracing it, as are users, because it?s simply better than everything else out there. Things only get better from here on.
  • Reply 86 of 99
    I felt this was pertinent:

<a href="http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/266.html"; target="_blank">Check out this pic</a>

I should sign up for iTools someday!
  • Reply 88 of 99
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nostradamus:

<strong>Actually, Apple is doomed. Saying otherwise is absurd. There is no truth in between.

Apple's demise poses only two questions: when and how.

Given recent trends, there will be no Apple Computer in 5 years.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why five years? Why not five months? Technological companies survive in monthly (just as they also succeed) cycles. Even more so today. But since Apple has a few minor issues and still has billions in their coffers still some see doom and gloom. Fine, but if Apple is dying...I'd expect them to die within a year with the economic/political climate we are in now.

I'm optimistic. Because I just don't see anything that can't be rectified. Most analysts are calling Apple stock a "Hold" stock anyway.

If I could afford it I'd buy $2000 of their stock. Others should too. I see nothing serious enough to change my feelings. Of course though, I'm not a "Nostradamus"
  • Reply 89 of 99
    rbaldrbald Posts: 108member
    [quote]Originally posted by ColorClassicG4:

<strong>

Yes! They were putting Apple out of business! Get it? That's why Apple can't clone!

Why won't people realize this </strong><hr></blockquote>Are you kidding or what!! I said that the only way Apple could survive is to license out the os to any hardware vender who wanted to build the computers! Apple has to get out of the hardware business which is a very tough business to begin with! In case you haven't noticed the most successful software company in the world never built a computer! What don't you understand about this?? Talk about rolling your eyes!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  • Reply 90 of 99
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Problem is: no one will pick up the operating system or software. They will be ever so gently discouraged by, oh, I don't know who. Just ask the Linux crowd about that one.
  • Reply 91 of 99
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    [quote]Originally posted by trumptman:

I can't believe the amount of BS I am reading on this board.

The real reason the tech industry is sucking is people are just plain tired. The whole PC side has a mentality of ship it now and fix it later. AMD with their wonderful DDR-RAM just admitted about week ago that they (yet again) have an issue with their motherboards and PCI implementation. If you did a search about this you would see that AMD owners have been playing musical PCI cards for quite a while now. Of course you can figure it out and get it working "rock solid stable, I swear" but how soon are you going to buy after that?

<hr></blockquote>

Just what are you talking about? Are you talking about the issue with Via's 686B southbridge regarding its method of Bus Parking? If so then that really wasn't an AMD problem, but rather the problem of one of AMD's chipset partners. The only PCI cards that were really effected by the problem were TV capture cards and the Soundblaster Live! series of sound cards. Via has also been shown to have some PCI burst rate limitations that have been fixed by a patch.

The only recent problem I can think of with an AMD chipset was the potential for a conflict with USB on the first revision of the 760MPX chipset which has since been resolved.

I think it is pretty far fetched to say that problems such as these have led to an industry wide worldwide slowdown in technology. The problems stem from an oversaturated market that overbought in 2000 and the residual fallout from the communications bubble burst that wiped out trillions of dollars in capitalization and billions in venture capital investments.
  • Reply 92 of 99
    [quote]Originally posted by Eskimo:

<strong>

Just what are you talking about? Are you talking about the issue with Via's 686B southbridge regarding its method of Bus Parking? If so then that really wasn't an AMD problem, but rather the problem of one of AMD's chipset partners. The only PCI cards that were really effected by the problem were TV capture cards and the Soundblaster Live! series of sound cards. Via has also been shown to have some PCI burst rate limitations that have been fixed by a patch.

The only recent problem I can think of with an AMD chipset was the potential for a conflict with USB on the first revision of the 760MPX chipset which has since been resolved.

I think it is pretty far fetched to say that problems such as these have led to an industry wide worldwide slowdown in technology. The problems stem from an oversaturated market that overbought in 2000 and the residual fallout from the communications bubble burst that wiped out trillions of dollars in capitalization and billions in venture capital investments.</strong><hr></blockquote>

LOL. This is a great post. Yea, its not AMD's fault, its their chipset partner's fault. Yea, thats it! Or are you talking about all those other problems with the AMD chipset? Those aren't AMD's fault either! Funny stuff, man.

But seriously, I thought the most important thing in trumptman's post was that AMD is announcing a loss, and Intel also a lowering their estimates. Everyone keeps saying the Mac is too slow, if they just had faster machines, they wouldn't be DOOMED...but the guys making the faster chips are also having problems...doesn't quite figure, does it?
  • Reply 93 of 99
    scott f.scott f. Posts: 276member
    Am I alone on this...?

The fact that Apple supplies the hardware AND the operating system is a GOOD thing in My mind. The idea that the OS and the hardware are more tightly integrated and "aware" of each-other just seems less problematic to me. Micro$oft doesn't know what all the other Wintel box manufacturers are going to produce or put in their boxes... likewise, they have no clue as to what M$ is doing on THEIR end of things...

I like that the entire "experience" of using a Macintosh is controlled under one unified and controled vision. It all feeds in to a (IMHO) positive user experience... which is WHY I choose to use a Mac. No finger pointing... if the experience sux... it's Apple's fault.

With a PC... I dislike about 85% of the wintel enclosure designs and how they function (or not). I hate how hardware conflicts had plagued me all through my PC-Years... man... I could go on & on...

Bottom-line... They ARE a hardware, Software and Operating System company. I, for one, embrace the unity of all those aspects under one roof.

Doomed...? Heck if I know... but I know for sure that NONE of you know, either.
  • Reply 94 of 99
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eskimo:

<strong>

I think it is pretty far fetched to say that problems such as these have led to an industry wide worldwide slowdown in technology. The problems stem from an oversaturated market that overbought in 2000 and the residual fallout from the communications bubble burst that wiped out trillions of dollars in capitalization and billions in venture capital investments.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Let me see if I recall what I said, something about shipping it first and then fixing it later? Thanks for proving my point.

Also just to make it clear that this isn't a "oh the sound is just a little crackly" type issue. Here is what you are refering too specifically.

This is a Windows driver that will patch motherboards that have VIA chipsets. It is intended to solve these problems:

* Files copied from one IDE hard disk drive to another are corrupted

* The computer stops ("freezes", "hangs", "locks up") when playing sounds, especially to a Creative SoundBlaster LIVE! card

* The computer stops when copying to or from an IDE DVD, CDROM, or CDRW drive

Little things like.... oh copying files on the IDE bus not working, nothing really important there right? Hey, hey, hey, we got your DDR-ram right here, come one, come all.

How about the second you installed XP and it immediately needed to install over 18 megs of patches and upgrades.

Is Apple perfect with regard to this stuff? No they aren't, however it is awfully hard to swim upstream when everyone is screaming about specs and features and hardly anyone is screaming about reliability, lack of bugs, and again solutions to problems. (Which again is why were supposed to have bought all this stuff in the first place.

Trumptman
  • Reply 95 of 99
    Isn't Nostrodamus Nick dePlume of Think Secret? Damn. I would hate to see that site go down. ThinkSheeplike?
  • Reply 96 of 99
    Shanny, YOU are an ass. Everyone can agree on that. But you have no right insulting Applenut and TOOL.
  • Reply 97 of 99
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by sjpsu:

<strong>Isn't Nostrodamus Nick dePlume of Think Secret? Damn. I would hate to see that site go down. ThinkSheeplike?</strong><hr></blockquote>

and Nick de Plume is a pen name meaning 'pen name.'

Nick as in name

de = of in French

Plume = feather, or what pens used to be made of.
  • Reply 98 of 99
    cablecable Posts: 76member
    Apple is down, but not out. They still have their pricing to keep themselves in business even if sales are down or their marketshare is down. It is more of a survival even after the Dotcom busts, the 9/11 attacks, the economy tanking, and technology companies taking a soaking.

I predict they will be in business at least until 2006, unless something innovative or a miricle happens. <a href="http://pub69.ezboard.com/bappledoomsdayclock"; target="_blank">The Apple Doomsday Clock</a> hit the snooze alarm for now.

I hope that Apple doesn't go away, Microsoft Windows, Linux, OS/2, and Solaris need competition to keep their products up to date.

[ 06-20-2002: Message edited by: Cable ]</p>
  • Reply 99 of 99
    Yeah because Cable, all of the above suck. For desktop Operating Systems at least.

Who would they copy if Apple disappeared?