Fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld given custom all-gold Apple Watch band

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
Apple has gifted Karl Lagerfeld with a specially-crafted Apple Watch featuring not just a yellow gold body but also a matching gold link bracelet, according to the fashion designer's personal assistant and bodyguard.

A photo posted by Sebastien Jondeau (@bentoub) on Apr 15, 2015 at 9:55am PDT

Sebastien Jondeau shared a photo of the gift in a Wednesday post on Instagram. The value of the device wasn't mentioned, but a yellow gold 42mm Watch costs $12,000 to $15,000, which could easily make Lagerfeld's model twice as expensive or more. Regular Edition models use gold only in the body and parts like clasps and buckles.

Lagerfeld is the head of Chanel, Fendi, and his own fashion brand. The designer turned up at a Paris Apple Watch event in September alongside other famous fashion icons such as Vogue editor Anna Wintour. His solid-gold band was first noted by MacRumors.

The gift appears to be another example of Apple securing strategic product placement. The device has already been spotted in fashion spreads and on the wrists of celebrities like Drake, Pharrell Williams, and Katy Perry, despite it not officially shipping until April 24. Lagerfeld though is a major figure in the fashion industry, and targeting him could help build the Watch's cachet in those circles.

Apple will be showcasing the gadget later this week during the Salone del Mobile, a major Italian furniture fair which also accepts some other design entries.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    gregqgregq Posts: 62member

why..?

• Reply 2 of 56
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    gregq wrote: »
    <p>why..?</p>
    Marketing. The same reason all those other people got watches before they went on sale. It's all about helping to drive sales.
  • Reply 3 of 56
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    smart. probably worth much more than the $30K-ish it costs to gift this in PR and good will.

i'm waiting on apple to gift me mine. i have major influence within my immediate office space!
  • Reply 4 of 56
    That thing must weigh a ton compared to the other models. The SS Link Bracelet model is heavy enough already.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    Having held a senior marketing role at an apparel brand. The answer to your question "Why" is easy.

Give Lagerfeld a $30k watch and see coverage all over the word that would cost 100's times more. Like him or not Lagerfeld is an icon in the fashion community and people all over the world, will be thinking, if it's OK for karl, then it's OK for me.

This strategy of seeding the top of the pyramid is standard practice. i'd have been surprised if Apple had not given them away to opinion leaders.

Rob
  • Reply 6 of 56
    gregqgregq Posts: 62member

why..?

Quote:

Originally Posted by singularity View Post

Marketing. The same reason all those other people got watches before they went on sale. It's all about helping to drive sales.

I'll buy that, but my take is that they're making a mistake with the high end promotion. I made my Watch purchase on the basis of reviews that appeared shortly before preorder was available. Not because of celeb gifting.

• Reply 7 of 56
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I wish Apple had instead made a gold band available to other buyers of the Edition. Why only make one for Lagerfeld? It obviously works better as an all gold watch and band.

• Reply 8 of 56
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I wish Apple had instead made a gold band available to other buyers of the Edition. Why only make one for Lagerfeld? It obviously works better as an all gold watch and band.

I'm actually not a fan of the all gold. Stainless Steel much nicer IMO. I'm sure Apple didn't do all gold because of price. Maybe if Edition is actually successful they'll branch out a bit?
  • Reply 9 of 56
    $36,000. Nice.
    I prefer white gold, however.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    nycsbnycsb Posts: 9member
    This is not Marketing. No one can buy this. This is a special watch made just for Karl, for whatever reason? Drake & Katy Perry on the other hand are wearing models that are for purchase making them product placement. One change, in the past Apple never gave celebs product prior to launch. They would gift or help them day of launch
  • Reply 11 of 56
    scaniescanie Posts: 13member
    President Obama seems to wear one (not a gold one...) receiving Iraqi Prime Minister on bilateral meeting...
  • Reply 12 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm actually not a fan of the all gold. Stainless Steel much nicer IMO. I'm sure Apple didn't do all gold because of price. Maybe if Edition is actually successful they'll branch out a bit?

If $17,000 doesn't scare off the buyer, why stop there?

• Reply 13 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yes. $17k is high enough as a ceiling for version 1.0. Even if Apple decides to do something like this and actually sell it, you wouldn't want to start off with it. Then you'd just get headlines like "Apple's new smart watch costs up to $40k!"

• Reply 14 of 56
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member

I understand that this was done for marketing - Apple are, after all, positioning this as a fashionable device. The problem I personally have with this is clearly rooted in jealousy - rich man gets gift because he's a rich, well-known designer and this very small investment will give Apple and the Apple Watch some publicity.

Does it need it? Would it be better if Apple used that money to employ one more developer or tester to fix the bugs in Photos, iCloud Photo Library, iTunes, iTunes Match, OS X Yosemite, iOS etc. that would more positively affect many more people, and provide a more positive view of the company to those who pay for their products?

The number of people buying the Apple Watch Edition is tiny in comparison to those purchasing the Watch Sport or Watch, and those who buy the cheaper, more mainstream versions are either already going to buy one, or are waiting for a 'killer app' before they take the plunge. The fact that Karl Lagerfeld has been given an exclusive, very expensive version of the Watch for free will not make any difference to the majority of Watch buyers, IMHO.

• Reply 15 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PotatoLeekSoup View Post

Yes. $17k is high enough as a ceiling for version 1.0. Even if Apple decides to do something like this and actually sell it, you wouldn't want to start off with it. Then you'd just get headlines like "Apple's new smart watch costs up to $40k!"

So? There's nothing wrong with making aspirational luxury items. It just so happens Apple's watches cover a very wide price range. Remember the one-of-a-kind $1 million Leica camera Jony Ive designed for auction?

• Reply 16 of 56
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Seriously, what's up with that hideous glove that he's wearing? Is that men's "fashion" these days?

• Reply 17 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Seriously, what's up with that hideous glove that he's wearing? Is that men's "fashion" these days?

He's been wearing that as long as I can remember seeing pictures of him in the news.

• Reply 18 of 56

Meh.

A little too much of the fasionista stuff for my taste....

• Reply 19 of 56
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Not to stereotype, but one look at him would make most grounded-folks wonder what side of the fence he's on...  So I don't think he really represents what "Men" fashion should be.  Obviously, he seems to make a pretty good living doing what he does though.

• Reply 20 of 56
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

I'd call it pretentious and effete.  Suits Lagerfeld to a T.