'Unwavering' Apple CEO Tim Cook makes Time's 100 Most Influential People list

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2015
On Thursday, Apple CEO Tim Cook once again secured a position on Time magazine's annual list of the 100 Most Influential People, and was praised in a profile written by Democratic Congressman and civil rights activist John Lewis.

Lewis wrote that Cook has brought Apple to "unimaginable profitability" and "greater social responsibility" at the same time. He claimed that Cook is "unwavering" in supporting personal privacy, while also actively advocating for LGBT rights, and "leaving our planet a little cleaner and a little greener" by instituting renewable energy programs for the company's US offices and datacenters.

The company is working on making all of its US facilities powered by renewable energy, primarily solar. That is just 2 percent of the company's carbon footprint, but Apple has defended itself by saying that 70 percent of its footprint stems from facilities it doesn't own, and that another 22 percent is produced by customers.

"Tim Cook is proof that even the most successful companies can and should be judged by more than just their bottom line," Lewis concluded.

Apple has taken flak for privacy and LGBT issues in some cases as well. Although the company is one of a number of businesses that have called for an end to bulk data collection by the US National Security Agency, documents leaked by Edward Snowden show that Apple is a partner in that surveillance, whether willingly or not.

Cook has been called a "hypocrite" for his LGBT stance by conservative critics, who note that Apple continues to sell products in countries where gays and lesbians can be imprisoned or executed.

Elsewhere in the Time piece, lead Apple designer Jony Ive wrote a profile for Airbnb CEO Brian Chesky, in which he said Chesky has an "obsession with detail and practicality" helps make "what could so easily be noble but abstract ideas functional and real."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    tim cook is great.

excellent to have a corporate leader focused on social and environmental progress.

consumers reward apple for that.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    If he's so unwavering, why doesn't he help Apple become honest about serious problems with the current iPhone 6 Plus? The phones continue to crash and some go through a serious phase of opening and shutting down spontaneously. When any comment is posted on an Apple sponsored board, and it suggests anything Apple does not want to hear about the phone, it is removed immediately and the person who dared speak the truth is warned. There is a serious flaw in the Apple iPhone 6Plus and the fact that the new year's versions are almost the same except Apple has doubled the RAM. This is the most obvious answer to the problem. But you are for idden from mentioning. This implies it really is just a matter of too little RAM installed and the solution is easy. Just find a way to increasethe RAM in current iPhones or replace them with the new 2 GB models. There seems to be no other solution but Apple continues to ignore the problem.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member

This consumer "rewards" Apple by buying its products. I wouldn't buy them if they weren't good in themselves, no matter what the CEO's various stances were. I don't happen to endorse homosexuality, but I don't condemn anyone because of it. I admire Mr. Cook for his demonstrated competence as an executive, and for his palpable sincerity and compassion.

• Reply 4 of 12
    uphilluphill Posts: 62member
    danielsw:

Nobody needs your endorsement or condemnation to be who they are any more than you need theirs to be who you are.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but it is profoundly tiresome - and chauvinistic - that anyone thinks their permission is needed for anyone else to be themselves. And unfortunately, many people think that their opinion matters and should be used to regulate and constrain the personal lives of others.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    danielsw: do you endorse black? Because gay people have about as much control over their orientation as you do your skin color.

It's really important to the rest of us that you endorse black. For realz.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by upHill View Post

danielsw:

Nobody needs your endorsement or condemnation to be who they are any more than you need theirs to be who you are.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but it is profoundly tiresome - and chauvinistic - that anyone thinks their permission is needed for anyone else to be themselves. And unfortunately, many people think that their opinion matters and should be used to regulate and constrain the personal lives of others.

Wow. Your profound twisting of my words make it impossible to respond in any meaningful way.

• Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chasm View Post

danielsw: do you endorse black? Because gay people have about as much control over their orientation as you do your skin color.

It's really important to the rest of us that you endorse black. For realz.

Totally non sequitur.

• Reply 8 of 12
    danielsw:

Why not simply accept other people as they are. Your "endorsement" or "condemnation" represent extremes of moralistic attitude that blatantly imply that people need to be "endorsed" or "condemned", presumably by you, rather than simply accepted. Live and let live, sir.

If you don't care whether a company has a particular social attitude when deciding whether or not to purchase their products, then perhaps just say so and leave it at that. It seems that Mr. Cook's sexual orientation and/or his stance on LGBT rights really does irk you in some way, and you feel the need to make some kind of statement about it.
  • Reply 9 of 12

I didn't find anything offensive about @DanielSW's post at all. He made a point about only buying Apple products because they are good, not because he has an opinion on the CEO's social/ humanitarian stance.

He is neutral about homosexuality, so why is that a problem? No need to get all worked up about the post. 

• Reply 10 of 12
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    I didn't find anything offensive about <a data-huddler-embed="href" href="/u/66316/DanielSW" style="display:inline-block;">@DanielSW</a>
    's post at all. He made a point about only buying Apple products because they are good, not because he has an opinion on the CEO's social/ humanitarian stance.

He is neutral about homosexuality, so why is that a problem? No need to get all worked up about the post. 
    I don't buy your "neutral" claim. If that were so, why bring sexual preference up at all? DanielSW has an aversion to homosexuality and he went out of his way to let everyone know it, and that it is an element in how he considers Tim Cook.
  • Reply 11 of 12

I don't want to judge - I am merely trying to point out an impression that danielsw's post creates, - but his disavowance of either "endorsement" or "condemnation" sounds much like the covertly racist statement that some make when they say they have "nothing against blacks, why, they even have a black neighbour".

I think danielsw would have been better to have stated, if it is the case, that the issue of sexual orientation is a matter of indifference to him. In which case, though, why even raise the issue?

The fact that he found it necessary to single out that from the many issues in the article suggests that he does have problem with sexual orientations other than his own. If that is so, then he should, in my opinion, actually have had the courage to be honest about it. It is a free society, and our freedom to hold and express opinions is extremely important.

I may disagree with people who hold chauvinistic views, and welcome the opportunity to discuss them, but I do respect people being forthright about their views. danielsw has, however, stated he does not intend to clarify or discuss his opinion.

Just think how perverse, judgemental and arrogant it would have seemed if someone had posted "I don't happen to endorse heterosexuality, but I don't condemn anyone because of it."

• Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by upHill View Post

Just think how perverse, judgemental and arrogant it would have seemed if someone had posted "I don't happen to endorse heterosexuality, but I don't condemn anyone because of it."

Exactly - in a nutshell.