OS X 10.10.3 triggering kernel panics when previewing JPEG files

Posted:
in macOS edited April 2015
Last week's OS X 10.10.3 update is in some cases triggering kernel panics when previewing large JPEG image files, leading to crashes and reboots, according to complaints on Apple's support forums.

Posters said this week that while they are able to load images in other applications such as Photoshop or Apple Photos, and/or select files in bulk, if at any point an individual JPEG over an unknown size is accessed through Finder or Preview, OS X can fail instantaneously. The problem appears to be independent of any particular Mac model.

Some proposed workarounds have included using the list view in Finder, previewing images in Safari, or reinstalling OS X 10.10.3. One poster suggested that reinstalling appears to stop the kernel panics, but that Preview may still quit or only briefly display an image before going blank.

Apple has reportedly been informed about the issue, and an anonymous tip to AppleInsider suggested that the company is working on a fix to be released in the next few weeks.

The OS X 10.10.3 update foremost revolved around the addition of Photos, the company's iPhoto and Aperture replacement with hooks for iCloud Photo Library. It did however make a variety of bugfixes as well, addressing problems in areas such as Wi-Fi networks, Bluetooth connectivity, and screen sharing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    That happened to me thrice this morning when opening the large JPG file. Thank you for letting me know!
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Don't know if it's related, but iOS 8.3 has also been crashing hard when I'm in Safari. Surfing goes down to a crawl, scrolling freezes up, and then I get the black screen and Apple logo.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

User error.

• Reply 4 of 40
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    How big of files are we talking about?
  • Reply 5 of 40
    Stop using JPEG.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    adhiradhir Posts: 50member
    I just wish they'd fix preview performance previewing large PDF files.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    It happened to my 5k iMac with 10.10.3(but not in my 15" MacbookPro retina), the Genius changed to logic board twice, but it doesn't resolve the issue.

When I opened the 9000x5000 pixel photo or above, it will crash and triggering kernel panics instantly.
  • Reply 8 of 40

It happened to my 5k iMac with 10.10.3(but not in my 15" MacbookPro retina), the Genius changed to logic board twice, but it doesn't resolve the issue.

When I opened the 9000x5000 pixel photo or above, it will crash and triggering kernel panics instantly.

• Reply 9 of 40
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Amazing what brings a brick house down. You can run 60 apps at once, have 50 Finder windows open, copy/move 30 files at once...but preview a large JPEG file?! Watch out.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member

There's also an issue that sometimes crashes Finder when you try to copy or move files from one window to another, and drop the files onto a folder that's in List View. It'll happen maybe 40% of the time. You will either lose the files, or will have to delete 'greyed-out' versions of them before you can try copying again. If the Finder crashes while you're burning a disc, say goodbye to the disc.

I bugged it with Apple weeks ago, and they just closed it as a duplicate. They still released 10.10.3 with that bug in. Imagine that, they released an update to millions of computers that crashes and causes data loss when doing the simplest of things.

I'm a software tester. I'd never have let that sort of bug go through. They had time to fix it, especially since they already knew about it. No one *needed* the update right away, so why not fix it?

• Reply 11 of 40

• Reply 12 of 40
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

It is probably caused by bad jpegs not just large ones. Depending on which application originally created the file the compression might be noncompliant or corrupted. I just made a huge jpeg to test on my iMac 5k using Photoshop and it opened perfectly in Preview. That said Apple should be able to deal with that sort of issue and not crash.

• Reply 13 of 40
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Stop using JPEG.

You are holding it wrong
  • Reply 14 of 40
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It is probably caused by bad jpegs not just large ones. Depending on which application originally created the file the compression might be noncompliant or corrupted.

Reminds me of the days when bad/corrupt fonts would prevent a Mac from booting up.

• Reply 15 of 40
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

" kernel panics " --  does it run away, break out into cold sweats, get ulcers... oh... you mean it just crashes... got it. 

• Reply 16 of 40
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

" kernel panics " --  does it run away, break out into cold sweats, get ulcers... oh... you mean it just crashes... got it. 

panic(); is a UNIX function that outputs an error message to the screen. Crash can mean a number of different things.

• Reply 17 of 40
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

This makes me curious what the 'testing process' would be for OS releases at Apple, Microsoft etc?

In my industry (aerospace), we first verify the change is accomplished per the spec (ie what is being fixed or added), then run series of automated tests(in the lab) to validate the module, then automated integration tests with other modules before releasing for a field test (if we think its required), then release to production.

For us, the most costly part of software changes is specification writing (really tight for class A (flight critical) items) and testing(verification/validation)... the coding is the easy/cheap part!

• Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeyondtheTech View Post

Don't know if it's related, but iOS 8.3 has also been crashing hard when I'm in Safari. Surfing goes down to a crawl, scrolling freezes up, and then I get the black screen and Apple logo.

It's not related, but I had this same exact problem with with Safari and Chrome. The problem you speak of seems to be related to the process that's responsible for DNS resolution, called Discoveryd. If you open the Console App while you browse the net, you'll see many errors related it not being able to resolve names. This error has actually been present since the introduction of yosemite, but it hasn't been as bad for me personally until I updated to 10.10.3, after which my computer became virtually unusable because not only did I have internet woes on this computer, but i'm pretty sure it this computer was slowing down the rest of my network because of the apparent repeated attempts to contact the DNS server. As soon as I'd turn this computer off, the rest of my network would run fine. I ultimately restored my computer back to 10.10.2 so that I could actually use it. 

I'm running a late 2013 27 inch iMac.

• Reply 19 of 40
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by adhir View Post

I just wish they'd fix preview performance previewing large PDF files.

You may find the QPDF utility helpful. It can cleanup and "linearize" (ie. reorganize for faster loading) PDF files with a simple command call. You could build an AppleScript or Automator script to automate this for you. Then you simply drop your PDF onto your script or have it set up as a Folder Action, and voila! .... an optimized PDF!

QPDF - http://qpdf.sourceforge.net

• Reply 20 of 40
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

I wonder if this is related to the kernel panic complete iOS reboot we are experiencing in iOS 8.  Basically if we try to use the external monitor mode over a lighting video adapter, it completely reboots the iPad in seconds.  Since the lightning video adapters are basically encoding and decoding MPEG streams, it could be related.  It's also starting to do this in AirPlay now as well.

iOS 8 and Digital AV Adapter Blue Screen of Death