OS X 10.10.3 triggering kernel panics when previewing JPEG files

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    I've been experiencing intermittent crashes/freezes on my iPad 4th Gen since 8.2. It has been a smooth ride until 8.0 came along. Very odd.
    @BeyondtheTech
  • Reply 22 of 40
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member

It's not related, but I had this same exact problem with with Safari and Chrome. The problem you speak of seems to be related to the process that's responsible for DNS resolution, called Discoveryd. If you open the Console App while you browse the net, you'll see many errors related it not being able to resolve names. This error has actually been present since the introduction of yosemite, but it hasn't been as bad for me personally until I updated to 10.10.3, after which my computer became virtually unusable because not only did I have internet woes on this computer, but i'm pretty sure it this computer was slowing down the rest of my network because of the apparent repeated attempts to contact the DNS server. As soon as I'd turn this computer off, the rest of my network would run fine. I ultimately restored my computer back to 10.10.2 so that I could actually use it. 

I'm running a late 2013 27 inch iMac.

Thanks v much for that.
    Was looking at upgrading my machines.
    hmm, might leave it for a while.
    cheers, r
  • Reply 23 of 40
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    This is starting to feel like Windows... I moved to Mac OS to *escape* crap like this. Apple better focus the next version on stability, speed, and efficiency ... you know, like the OS version a lot of us audio and graphics people are still hanging onto because it performs with superiority to the newer versions (I'm talking about Snow Leopard).

There's way too much crap going on under the hood now. That's very Windows-like.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    boeyc15 wrote: »

This makes me curious what the 'testing process' would be for OS releases at Apple, Microsoft etc?

In my industry (aerospace), we first verify the change is accomplished per the spec (ie what is being fixed or added), then run series of automated tests(in the lab) to validate the module, then automated integration tests with other modules before releasing for a field test (if we think its required), then release to production.
    For us, the most costly part of software changes is specification writing (really tight for class A (flight critical) items) and testing(verification/validation)... the coding is the easy/cheap part!

Yeah an OS written like that would update with 4 features every 20 years.

No excuse for the crash though although to be fair to Apple I have seen exactly 0 panics since 10.0 on any macs.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    I've had it crash with JPEG files that are 30MB or more but smaller ones are fine. I haven't opened them in Preview, just used Quicklook on them in Finder, then BOOM it reboots.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Thanks v much for that.

Was looking at upgrading my machines.

hmm, might leave it for a while.

cheers, r

No problem bro! I would definitely leave it for a while. I really liked what it had to offer, I have no complaints about the Photos App or anything else, I actually really liked it. But the DNS issues made it a PITA. 

• Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon

Stop using JPEG.

Yes. Stop using Internet too.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    ... and yes it happened to me too.
    The system would not crash, but Preview hang. After killing it with system tools it still appeared as running though no actions if you wanted to view any jpeg (it simply would come up).

Do we have quality issue with testing at Apple? Can we come back to routines from 2006, please? Are the same people working there or just new generation of hot shot developers are there who do not need to test as "they know it works". Oh... few decades in IT and the same attitude...
  • Reply 29 of 40

04/16/2015 01:13 PM

It is probably caused by bad jpegs not just large ones. Depending on which application originally created the file the compression might be noncompliant or corrupted. I just made a huge jpeg to test on my iMac 5k using Photoshop and it opened perfectly in Preview. That said Apple should be able to deal with that sort of issue and not crash.

Your argument is somewhat on arrogant side just like any support or pundit: "it must be customer side problem".

No they are not bad - they display in browser just fine every time. Only when you download them and open with Preview they stop working and this is not every time.

Do not defend vendor if many report the same problem. It is unlikely that everybody have just started using bad files.

• Reply 30 of 40
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    If you open the panic.log in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports, that should give you an idea of what's happening. I expect it will be the display driver crashing. I don't know why they can't just drop to software mode and reboot the driver, that always takes the whole system down.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

No problem bro! I would definitely leave it for a while. I really liked what it had to offer, I have no complaints about the Photos App or anything else, I actually really liked it. But the DNS issues made it a PITA. 

What does your DNS settings look like?

I don't get Discoveryd errors at all.

I get lots of error entries in the log which is a bit disturbing but, nothing related to DNS. Mostly com.apple.screensharing errors.

At the office I have sort of an odd setup though. I have two network connections. One on DHCP and the other a static public routable IP which points to my own primary and secondary name servers as well as the broadband provider's DNS which provides reverse look up. The DHCP also uses those same name servers.

• Reply 32 of 40
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

Your argument is somewhat on arrogant side just like any support or pundit: "it must be customer side problem".

No they are not bad - they display in browser just fine every time. Only when you download them and open with Preview they stop working and this is not every time.

Not trying to be arrogant. Just suggesting a possibility...

Based on my experience trying to work with crappy jpegs made with crappy applications on crappy operating systems not on Macs with professional image editing software.

Now that's arrogant!

• Reply 33 of 40
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Yeah an OS written like that would update with 4 features every 20 years.

No excuse for the crash though although to be fair to Apple I have seen exactly 0 panics since 10.0 on any macs.

I guess you didn't buy a 2010 MacBook Pro with the defective graphics that had kernel panics all the time. It also had bulging batteries. Both issues had repair programs for them, but mine didn't really get the constant kernel panics until after the 3-year window for the repair program.

• Reply 34 of 40
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

I ran the update, although I hadn't experienced any issues previewing 18MP jpegs.

• Reply 35 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Don't know if it's related, but iOS 8.3 has also been crashing hard when I'm in Safari. Surfing goes down to a crawl, scrolling freezes up, and then I get the black screen and Apple logo.

My phone completely locked up while viewing an embedded YouTube video in Safari and I was unable to shut down or do anything for almost 10 minutes. I was only able to do anything after repeatedly attempting to do a forced restart. I thought my phone was permanently fried.
  • Reply 36 of 40

How is this even possible. OS X is supposed to have protected memory, it should only crash the app not the entire OS

• Reply 37 of 40
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    How is this even possible. OS X is supposed to have protected memory, it should only crash the app not the entire OS

Mostly but drivers embedded in kernel space can cause system panics.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adhir View Post

I just wish they'd fix preview performance previewing large PDF files.

I'm having to use Adobe Reader because of the Preview problem with large PDFs. I miss the built-in markup capability, but at least it works. 

There is a thread at Apple Support Communities about this. I subscribed to the thread in case a resolution shows up there.

Although Apple must certainly be aware of the problem by now, I also went ahead and reported via Apple Feedback a while ago. I think it's probably a good idea that everyone that has this problem reports it there. I'm not sure if it helps resolve the problem any sooner, but at least Apple gets a better idea of the number of people that are affected.

• Reply 39 of 40
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

There was OS X 10.10.3 Supplemental update release today. It solved Kernel crash I've been having when saving videos using Reflector app on OS X. Maybe this also fixes the JPG issue.

• Reply 40 of 40
    adhiradhir Posts: 50member
    I'm having to use Adobe Reader because of the Preview problem with large PDFs. I miss the built-in markup capability, but at least it works. 

There is a thread at Apple Support Communities about this. I subscribed to the thread in case a resolution shows up there.

Although Apple must certainly be aware of the problem by now, I also went ahead and reported via Apple Feedback a while ago. I think it's probably a good idea that everyone that has this problem reports it there. I'm not sure if it helps resolve the problem any sooner, but at least Apple gets a better idea of the number of people that are affected.

Agree. I've reported the issue numerous times, once after each 10.10.x update.