Director J.J. Abrams shows off Apple Watch onstage at 'Star Wars' event in California

Comments

• Reply 61 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I think that you are confusing politics with bitterness. 

It is the other side that is bitter, and I am merely stating that if I ever get into the position of influence or having vast sums of money, then I will crush them and destroy them.

Haha. Well,

1) There are a ton of great charities that have nothing to do with politics that need all the help they can get. Being born in a developed country is already a huge, unearned benefit that we have (I assume you're in this group), and I feel a moral obligation to try to help those less fortunate.

2) There are enough crazies on both sides of the political spectrum for each side to justifiably disdain the other. The real improvements come from being realistic and moving towards the middle.

• Reply 62 of 112
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I don't like all these celebrities getting Apple hardware for free, and before the products are even released for sale.

I'm not so sure they are getting them for free. Perhaps they are being offered a chance to buy advance custom configurations. If they were getting them for free they would all be Edition models because Apple wouldn't want to show favoritism among the celebrities and give J.J a steel watch and Lagerfeld a gold one?

• Reply 63 of 112
    drwamdrwam Posts: 38member
    Would have loved a dark blue band. Thanks, Tim.....grrr.
  • Reply 64 of 112
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm not so sure they are getting them for free. Perhaps they are being offered a chance to buy advance custom configurations. If they were getting them for free they would all be Edition models because Apple wouldn't want to show favoritism among the celebrities and give J.J a steel watch and Lagerfeld a gold one?

I agree with you. They are probably getting the convenience of being able to select the watch from a salesperson that comes to their home (from Maxfield or such).

• Reply 65 of 112
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Look at the bright side. Non of them will switch to Samsung gear in secret.

• Reply 66 of 112
    Who cares about celebrities wearing the Apple Watch.
    Didn't anyone see the new Star Wars trailer?
  • Reply 67 of 112
    apple ][ wrote: »

I of course want AAPL to be at all time highs, and you're correct that I'm not overly concerned with questionable labor laws and environmental regulations and manufacturing in shady countries.

It's just that I've always seen celebrity promotion as one of the lowest common demominator and simplest forms of advertising. It's used by all sorts of crappy companies, especially those with terrible products. 

I would just prefer to see Apple focus on the products, because it's Apple's products that have made it into the company that it is today.

I certainly didn't buy my first Mac because of any celebrity, and I think that anybody who is likely to be swayed by what any celebrity uses is shallow and dumb, and that's not the kind of customer that I would seek for my business, if I were in it for the longterm.

This is how capitalism works. The auto manufacturers are clawing to get into movies like the Fast and Furious series, Nike is lining up celebrities to use their products on the field and even making new lines for star athletes (Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, etc), etc, etc. Apple has used Einstein, Edison, MLK, Feinman, etc. In its ads. Heck, Apple under Steve Jobs gave Macs to celebrities before they were released and used Jeff Goldblum and other celebs in their ads.

For Apple to gain a foothold in fashion, they need tastemakers to wear them. Similarly, the only reason folks wear Nike gear is because the athletes use and endorse them and it ultimately leads to better products.

Ironic that a liberal like me is more pro capitalistic in this regard ;-)
  • Reply 68 of 112
    Hey Apple ][, good to see you around again. Where you been?

As for the celebs, I agree Apple products are great to stand on their own but imo this is great publicity for Apple.

Thanks. I've been around, I've just been busy with a few other things that I also have to take care of.

I agree that it's probably good publicity, but I'm just not a big fan of the celebrity worship culture that is prevalent in our society, and I am disappointed to see Apple jumping on it. It's the same reason that I don't like the Beats ads. Who gives a crap about some sports celebrities wearing headphones? Is that really the shallow crowd that Apple is marketing to?

Apple is basically saying that not all people are equal, and we as a company will treat certain people better than you.

If Apple were selling ice water in Hell. there would be no need to convince the buyers that it's cool to drink the ice water. In the case of the watch or Beats earphones, Apple setting a trend in both luxury and in tech, for luxury you advertise differently than one does in tech... Apple is doing it right... perfectly right. This like product placement on a higher level... much higher.
  • Reply 69 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Nicely twisted there.  Whether the celebrities like Apple products or not is not an issue.  Many clearly do.  These celebrities are seen with Apple products, not because they have bought them, but because they were given them with obvious intention of promotion.

It's easy to tell when a celebrity loves a product and when just they're paid to promote it:

They aren't tweeting about how much they love their Apple products from their Samsung Galaxy or their Microsoft Surface. Or being the "blah blah blah" spokesman for Apple products while personally using a HTC One. It's the other way around. Celebs love their Apple products, even when they are paid to promote something else.

• Reply 70 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Who cares about celebrities wearing the Apple Watch.

Didn't anyone see the new Star Wars trailer?

Spoilers?

• Reply 71 of 112
    seanie248seanie248 Posts: 180member
    "I don't like all these celebrities getting Apple hardware for free"

where is it stated they got them for free???? don't remember that being stated as fact anywhere?

any sources that can verify what you are saying?
  • Reply 72 of 112
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by seanie248 View Post

"I don't like all these celebrities getting Apple hardware for free"

where is it stated they got them for free???? don't remember that being stated as fact anywhere?

any sources that can verify what you are saying?

I also read posts from somebody else who claimed that they did pay for them.

I haven't seen any verification for either claim. I don't know for sure, but I would certainly be happier if it's confirmed that they did in fact have to pay for their watches, and that they were just given the opportunity to buy them early.

• Reply 73 of 112
    aaronj wrote: »
    All people are NOT equal.  Never have been, never will be.  

But Apple has always cultivated a "for the rest of us" mentality, so it's not too hard to see how some folks might feel put off by this not-so-sublte shift. Although no one cares what I think, I've been nagged by this sense of elitism and "not for us after all" change in tone. Maybe it is just because of the pursuit of the fasion world (which is mind-numbingly vapid) or what not, but it's not difficult to be sympathetic for those who feel put off.
  • Reply 74 of 112

A few factual questions: Does Apple have a history of doing product placements? Other than for (mostly dead) celebrities in the 'Think Different' series, has Apple ever featured celebrities in their ads? Has Apple ever placed 'special' unreleased products with celebrity endorsers?

To me, the answers seem like no, no, and no. But I'd really love to know.

• Reply 75 of 112
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member

I think that you are confusing politics with bitterness. 

It is the other side that is bitter, and I am merely stating that if I ever get into the position of influence or having vast sums of money, then I will crush them and destroy them.

Sounds like you read too many comic books.
  • Reply 76 of 112
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

I don't like all these celebrities getting Apple hardware for free, and before the products are even released for sale.

If I were a celebrity, would I accept an Apple Watch from Apple? Hell yeah.

But since I'm not, and since I don't get any Apple products for free or before they are released, I am going to give this article two thumbs down.

I think that it's sad that Apple is jumping on the celebrity bandwagon. Apple doesn't need any "celebrities" to be using their products or to be seen wearing their products. Apple products are great enough to stand on their own.

Isn't Apple all about equality and diversity and all that liberal mumbo jumbo that some people like to talk about?

Well, I don't think that certain Apple customers should come before other Apple customers. Hell, these celebrities aren't even customers, if they get their shit for free.

Waaambulance time.

• Reply 77 of 112
    A few factual questions: Does Apple have a history of doing product placements? Other than for (mostly dead) celebrities in the 'Think Different' series, has Apple ever featured celebrities in their ads? Has Apple ever placed 'special' unreleased products with celebrity endorsers?

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/34-apple-commercials-starring-celebrities-139792

Also:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/31/stephen-colbert-has-an-ipad/

This was a couple months before the iPad was available to the general public 4/3/10
  • Reply 78 of 112
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Incidentally, the new Star Wars trailer is fantastic!

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/
  • Reply 79 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ned bulous View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/34-apple-commercials-starring-celebrities-139792

Thanks! The 'big' names are Samuel Jackson, Jeff Goldblum, Kevin Costner, Will Ferrell. None of them seemed to be mega-stars at the time of their use. (Greenspan and Yo Yo Ma were huge, but not so much in terms of popular culture.)

The rest are the Think Different ads (which I mentioned in my post) or use of music in Apple ads.

Bottom line: for a company that has been in business nearly four decades, produced a lot of iconic products that many (most?) celebrities use, I don't think that's a lot of celebrity-based advertising.

• Reply 80 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Thanks! The 'big' names are Samuel Jackson, Jeff Goldblum, Kevin Costner, Will Ferrell. None of them seemed to be mega-stars at the time of their use. (Greenspan and Yo Yo Ma were huge, but not so much in terms of popular culture.)

The rest are the Think Different ads (which I mentioned in my post) or use of music in Apple ads.

Bottom line: for a company that has been in business nearly four decades, produced a lot of iconic products that many (most?) celebrities use, I don't think that's a lot of celebrity-based advertising.

Seems like you're moving the goal posts, also see Stephan Colbert with his iPad at the Grammys in January 2010. The iPad was released to the public 4/3/2010

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/31/stephen-colbert-has-an-ipad/

You must have missed Eminem, U2, and all the other artists.  If Apple seeks out musicians to promote music products, why not seek out tastemakers to promote Apple Watch as fashion icon?

Also, by your standards, I would not consider JJ Abrams, Drake, or Pherrell Williams big stars. Like the earlier ads, though, they appeal to niche markets.