Jony Ive and Marc Newson reveal special Apple Watch Sport Band colors at Milan gala

Comments

• Reply 41 of 207
    rogifan wrote: »
    From what I can tell based on this story, Apple isn't marketing anything luxury at this event. There showing off different colored sport bands, the cheapest bands in all the Watch collections.

Exactly.
  • Reply 42 of 207
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Yes, but Apple's also got to manage negative perceptions generated by this sort of thing. It surely must run larger than forums like these.

I feel like Apple has effectively made its fashion point. It's starting to get flogged to death.

Hopefully it will be over after the official Releas. Rich people like to feel special and pamper. So I understand apple right now. I just hope it doesn't become the norm.
  • Reply 43 of 207
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by plankton View Post

This fashionista flogging is starting to give me VERY negative perceptions and could backfire on Apple. Pictures of arms dealers getting early releases is starting to gall, especially when the rest of us have to wait months even after placing pre-orders within 15 seconds of web orders going live.

I smell a rotten Ahrendts' Apple in this type of advertising.

Right...     Beretta is an "Arms Dealer" in the technical sense, as they sell "Firearms", but not in the popular sense of people selling machine guns and rocket launchers and bombs to third world dictators.    Most of Berettas business is consumer grade firearms to normal people, including shotguns for trap, skeet, etc.   They also sell handguns to the US and other Militaries, and probably other stuff to the Italian authorities, but most of their stuff is sport and home defense type stuff.  Hardly your "Arms Dealer" fodder.   

Inviting The Berettas to the special occasion is no different than inviting the head of Toyota, maker of "Technicals" used worldwide by terrorists and dictators alike in third world h*llholes...

• Reply 44 of 207
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Most definitely, especially given the fact that it's not the public who can get these watches, it's only rich people. No one will be able to go into a store on 24 April and get one. Or the following week. Physical inventories not until June; order through the website and just hurry up and wait? Even people who take their cues from celebrities are not going to be happy that Apple is getting free publicity: they will just know they can't get one, but Those Others are well taken care of.

Rich people are very competitive, if one in the circle has an ?Watch the others won't want to be left begin or caught with the cheapest ?Watch
  • Reply 45 of 207
    carthusia wrote: »
    Waaaaahhhhh! ????????????????????

Highly original, Madame.
  • Reply 46 of 207
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    carthusia wrote: »
    This strategy has Angela Ahrents written all over it. She did much for Burberry with social media campaigns. She's "Retail" the way Philler Shiller is "Marketing"-so much more than the title implies.

I don't think any of us have enough info to be sure who is written all over this. Logic says it's not her, because she is VP of retail stores. At Burberry she was CEO, and thus able to do any stunt needed for the company.

This event may have Schiller with input from Newson, Ive and maybe Ahrendts written all over it in my opinion. People seem too quick to blame Ahrendts for Apple's Watch/fashion strategy. There's more evidence to suppose that Ive is the ultimate driving force behind it.
  • Reply 47 of 207
    chadbag wrote: »
    Right...     Beretta is an "Arms Dealer" in the technical sense, as they sell "Firearms", but not in the popular sense of people selling machine guns and rocket launchers and bombs to third world dictators.    Most of Berettas business is consumer grade firearms to normal people, including shotguns for trap, skeet, etc.   They also sell handguns to the US and other Militaries, and probably other stuff to the Italian authorities, but most of their stuff is sport and home defense type stuff.  Hardly your "Arms Dealer" fodder.   

Inviting The Berettas to the special occasion is no different than inviting the head of Toyota, maker of "Technicals" used worldwide by terrorists and dictators alike in third world h*llholes...

Sshhh, you dont support his narrative! :lol:
  • Reply 48 of 207
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    flaneur wrote: »
    I don't think any of us have enough info to be sure who is written all over this. Logic says it's not her, because she is VP of retail stores. At Burberry she was CEO, and thus able to do any stunt needed for the company.

This event may have Schiller with input from Newson, Ive and maybe Ahrendts written all over it in my opinion. People seem too quick to blame Ahrendts for Apple's Watch/fashion strategy. There's more evidence to suppose that Ive is the ultimate driving force behind it.

There's very little evidence to suggest that Angela's role is anything more than running B&M and online retail. Yes she was CEO of a fashion house but she was hired to run retail, not product design or marketing. Tim Cook hired Paul Deneve from fashion house YSL. My guess is he's the one behind all this with Jony (and now Phi too) as the public face. Deneve's Apple bio says he's involved in "special projects". My guess is one of those special projects is Apple Watch promotion.
  • Reply 49 of 207
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 50 of 207
    In a few weeks, I'll have an Apple Watch, just like the beautiful people!
  • Reply 51 of 207
    ascii wrote: »
    Steve Jobs' Apple: "The computer for the rest of us."

Do a little research before posting, unless you are intentionally being disingenuous. "The rest of us" in 1984 referred to non-programmer, non-technical customers. It was never about the price of the Mac, which was pretty high compared to modern Macs, when adjusted for inflation.
  • Reply 52 of 207
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Steve Jobs' Apple: "The computer for the rest of us."

Tim Cook's Apple: 

Seeing as I and another million or so normal folk have an Apple Watch on order, and some will have them in a week, I don't see the difference.  Apple Watch is the smart watch for the rest of us.   That encompasses all, from the very wealthy to the lowliest of the middle class.  As someone said, it is the most egalitarian of all Apple products.   There is no difference on the innards of the $350 watch compared to the $17000 one.   Just case and crystal and band material.  The function is the same for everyone.

• Reply 53 of 207
    Apple Cheese. Yummie.Apple wants everyone to eat only their cheese.

How much cheese does it take before we gag?
  • Reply 54 of 207
    city wrote: »
    At $49 each, I'm expecting all 170 Crayola colors.

I don't think those are $49. They look to be Apple Watch Edition sport bands with gold pins.
  • Reply 55 of 207
    I don't think those are $49. They look to be Apple Watch Edition sport bands with gold pins.

Except Will Carling has a Watch with red sport band and it's not an Edition Watch. I highly doubt Jony Ive would give him a SS watch with a band that has a gold pin.
  • Reply 56 of 207
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Do a little research before posting, unless you are intentionally being disingenuous. "The rest of us" in 1984 referred to non-programmer, non-technical customers. It was never about the price of the Mac, which was pretty high compared to modern Macs, when adjusted for inflation.

I never said my comment was about price or about catering to the 1%.

I have always understood the "computer for the rest of us" comment as referring to the innovation of the GUI, which made computers much more accessible than the old command line interface. Steve Jobs said the computer is like "a bicycle for the mind" and therefore the opportunity to make computers more accessible was huge - it's like giving everyone a bicycle for their mind, which ultimately could expand human consciousness. A visionary type of goal! And the iPhone with it's touch interface (arguably even more intuitive than the mouse) was a continuation of this theme.  

But the Apple Watch is a departure from this theme. Sending your heartbeat to another user kind of sums up the whole device for me. Expanding human consciousess is about transmitting ideas to each other, but the heartbeat is not even an idea but a mere physical measurement. And fashion people in general are not about deep thinking, but about looking good, i.e. the physical. So yeah, a bit of a departure from past Apple devices.

• Reply 57 of 207
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

You can tell?    I blew up the picture and it is metallic pixelated blob.   

• Reply 58 of 207
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I never said my comment was about price or about catering to the 1%.

I have always understood the "computer for the rest of us" comment as referring to the innovation of the GUI, which made computers much more accessible than the old command line interface. Steve Jobs said the computer is like "a bicycle for the mind" and therefore the opportunity to make computers more accessible was huge - it's like giving everyone a bicycle for their mind, which ultimately could expand human consciousness. A visionary type of goal! And the iPhone with it's touch interface (arguably even more intuitive than the mouse) was a continuation of this theme.  

But the Apple Watch is a departure from this theme. Sending your heartbeat to another user kind of sums up the whole device for me. Expanding human consciousess is about transmitting ideas to each other, but the heartbeat is not even an idea but a mere physical measurement. And fashion people in general are not about deep thinking, but about looking good, i.e. the physical. So yeah, a bit of a departure from past Apple devices.

I think you've missed all the videos and examples of the watch and what it does.  It is VERY much a continuation of the Bicycle for the Mind concept.   I suggest you read "iPhone Killer: The Secret History of the Apple Watch" on WIRED.

• Reply 59 of 207
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bigmaconcampus View Post

I get it, I can have my cake and eat it too, however, I'm finding this story and imagery awfully repellent for some reason. I get that Apple has long past the days of being the underdog, the little guy that we were all pulling for, but duck-face with guicci-toting fashionistas? Ugghh!

agree 100%

• Reply 60 of 207

The original Mac in 2015 dollars would cost around $4,500. Or $5,600 after Scully raised the price to cover the try it and return it marketing campaign. Or how about the PowerBook? The base level PowerBook introduced in 2001 would cost $5,800 today.

The Apple Watch is cheaper than the original iPod. Which is amazing considering the technology in it blows away the iPod by a wide margin. As I said earlier this product is the most egalitarian product Apple has ever designed. Someone buying the $349 Watch gets the exact same specs/features as someone buying the $10K Watch. How that signals that Apple isn't "for the rest of us" any more is beyond me.