Jony Ive and Marc Newson reveal special Apple Watch Sport Band colors at Milan gala

Comments

• Reply 141 of 207
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

Apple palling around with firearms manufacturers? Everything about this story makes me vomit in my mouth a little.

Maybe you should seek out some help with this issue.   It is not normal in the least, and is not healthy.

• Reply 142 of 207
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Its a different Apple now.

All of you are free to switch platforms any time you choose.

• Reply 143 of 207
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I went to the Apple Store in Costa Mesa yesterday to buy some stuff and had a chance to look at the watch. I fooled around with the display watch. It seems a bit limited in functionality though. It was also running quite warm to the touch. There was no crowd or waiting. The staff encouraged me to try one on. I selected the 42mm space grey sport with large black band. I was surprised how supple and smooth the band was. Very nice. I opened the Apple Store app and ordered it on the spot with ?Pay. Took less than 30 seconds. Delivers in June. 

• Reply 144 of 207
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    This comment section is exploding this morning. I don't want to go off topic too much, but about the whole god thing.. I think it's different than your example. I think the only one suffering from folding your arms and saying you won't believe there's a God until someone proves it is yourself. I personally think God is obvious, and we would have to disprove him. Here's why.. There's stuff. Where'd the stuff come from? The end.

Or maybe in your mind, everything is the way it is because it is the way it is. Planets circle the sun because they should. Gravity keeps cars driving on the ground because it's the law. Space exists because it's there.

we know the answers to some things, we don't to others. But to say "because we can't explain something (matter), there must be a god" is not logical.
  • Reply 145 of 207
    I think the big issue is that the attention and publicity this event is getting does not fit into the original DNA of Apple. That's why for some people is "off putting".

Steve did not allow a lot of high profile publicity, but Tim does. The irony is that as Apple employees, you're supposed to shun a lot of attention.

So to sum up, new bands are cool, hobnobbing with the elite, maybe not so much.

But Jobs also hobnobbed with the elite, so your premise is false.
  • Reply 146 of 207
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

we know the answers to some things, we don't to others. But to say "because we can't explain something (matter), there must be a god" is not logical.

Doesn't matter. We do know s/he just doesn't give a shit about anyone on this rock.

• Reply 147 of 207
    zoetmb wrote: »

I understand that point of view and there is certainly marketing value in having celebs wear/use your products, but I have to agree with those who feel that this just doesn't smell right.   It's saying that "if you're a super-rich member of the elite, we're going to hand these expensive devices out like candy even though you could actually afford to buy one, but if you're a regular Joe, get on line and pay the money".   I feel like it's catering to the 1%.

And that photo of someone picking out a band reminds me of the scene in "The Godfather" (or maybe "Godfather II") where they're passing jewels around the table.   

Personally, if Apple is going to hand out watches as a marketing campaign, I'd rather see them hand them out to up-and-coming music or visual artists, scientists, engineers, writers, performers, volunteer doctors, people who build schools in poor countries, etc. - people who are highly creative and/or actively socially conscious, but who don't yet have much money.    Then Apple could do stories on how those people use the watch for some good, not just giving the watch to some Euro-trash model who will probably trade it for a bit of coke anyway or shove it in the drawer when they're released to the masses and no longer super-hip to wear. 

Where does it say Apple was handing out watches at the event? Links, please.
  • Reply 148 of 207
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Are you kidding? This is just the beginning. Apple has taken a giant step into a completely different sandbox from where they started. And unless Apple completely redefines the fashion industry, this kind of thing will continue as they compete for prestige and acceptance by the fashion elite. Fashion is defined by seasons and Apple will likely take steps to keep up with it, ensuring not only that their watch is technologically up to date, but on the cutting edge of fashion trends. Their actions of late are proof of their seriousness to be considered as part of the fashionable paragons, and that they will do what it takes to achieve that acceptance. Apple clearly doesn't want to be seen as a tech company that makes a premiere smartwatch, they seemingly want to be a prestige watchmaker in their own right.

I dont see any thing wrong with that. Apple has always been label as a prestige brand anyways. And as for the fashion part is just publicity, I see every company do it, the only difference is that this people actually use ? products and don't just just say how great the product is from a diferent divice. Like what happens with Samsung.
  • Reply 149 of 207
    chadbag wrote: »
    What meaningless layer?  If God exists, He would use natural physical laws to accomplish His designs, so what you see as an additional layer would be THE layer.

Yes but if God made the universe, who made God? Only another God. Who made that God? Etc... It goes on forever, because it's not real.
  • Reply 150 of 207
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    Yes but if God made the universe, who made God? Only another God. Who made that God? Etc... It goes on forever, because it's not real.

I hope you realize that fallacy of that argument. What is the origin of the universe? Where did the matter for the Big Bang come from? Same problem you pose for God.

You may not believe in Him but that is just your belief. Just like the belief of others who do.
  • Reply 151 of 207
    tgr1tgr1 Posts: 33member
    camc wrote: »

Not really... at least police forces have to be equipped with them.
    Marketing events, though, tend to be accurately planned; and while I agree that someone has to build weapons for the aforementioned reason, I simply don't get why any Apple product at any level should be paired with weapon builders.
    There are plenty of other powerful brands here in Italy to be associated with. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Just for the records, Beretta rifles have been sold to such peaceful souls as the late Commander Gheddafi; other thousand of these toys have been delivered to Egypt, Turkmenistan... </span>

Sorry, that makes me feel uncomfortable.

And the nut bag leader of North Korea uses an iMac. I am sure assorted pedophiles sadly use iPhones because of their great camera and slo mo, etc. And?
  • Reply 152 of 207
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member

What's to say that we are the most advanced beings in the universe, we can be puppets and another being the puppeteer, we might just be somebody else's dolls. Who knows? And yeah what if God has a mother and father and brothers and sisters, and cousins. What if he is just a regular joe in a society? Or a nerd who plays with dolls (US). Some will argue there is no God. Others like my self will argue there is. We will never know for sure, or maybe one day. But until then we can just respect each other's beliefs or not beliefs. I respect you not believing there is a God, I think you can respect others choice to believe that there is a god. Tolerance
  • Reply 153 of 207
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'd buy an Apple Pistol. You already know it would be the most advanced personal protection device made.

I'd love an Apple gun also, space grey would be fine for me!

Apple should definitely branch out into other areas. Apple can do a whole bunch of innovating in the firearms category.

• Reply 154 of 207
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    apple ][ wrote: »

I'd love an Apple gun also, space grey would be fine for me!
    I'd have to go with the solid gold Edition. The Man With the Golden Gun really made an impression on me as a kid.
  • Reply 155 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Not really.  When you NEED it to go "Bang" you don't need "Try Again" and after the third time enter your security code.

The single woman who is being stalked and the stalker barges into her apartment with a knife does not need TouchID on her pistol.

I don't think that I've ever gotten a "try again" when using Touch ID.

I would be ok with having Touch ID on a gun. It would be a great feature to have, and what if some criminal were to steal your gun or take it away from you in a struggle? You would be safe, because they wouldn't be able to fire the gun. It would be great for police officers to have, and they would never have to worry about any criminal taking their gun ever again.

The advantages gained from having Touch ID on a gun far outweighs the small disadvantage of having a 1 second delay to unlock the gun.

Can you imagine the amount of lives saved by Touch ID on a gun?

Some 2 year old kid blew their brains out because they found a gun that their idiot parent left around the house? No problem with Touch ID.

Hell, if I had an Apple gun with Touch ID, I could just leave it right on the livingroom table, just like I do with my iPad, and I wouldn't have to worry about anybody gaining unauthorized access to my things.

• Reply 156 of 207
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I'd have to go with the solid gold Edition. The Man With the Golden Gun really made an impression on me as a kid.

I like the gold iPads, but I didn't get one, because of the white bezels.

I think that a gold gun is probably too blingy for me, but I don't mind Apple making one in gold, because there are definitely people who would like it I'm sure.

• Reply 157 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I would be ok with having Touch ID on a gun. It would be a great feature to have, and what if some criminal were to steal your gun or take it away from you in a struggle? You would be safe, because they wouldn't be able to fire the gun. It would be great for police officers to have, and they would never have to worry about any criminal taking their gun ever again.

This has been debated for years. While there are some advantages there are disadvantages as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_gun

• Reply 158 of 207
    v900v900 Posts: 101member
    Am I the only who gets a somewhat bad taste in my mouth watching this?!?

Celebs wearing Apple gear isn't anything new. They've always done that.

But just like Apple products have always been featured on tv, without Apple paying off the networks, celebs weren't privileged with previews or free products.

If they wanted one, they had to go out themselves and buy it, just like everyone else. (Or ok, send an assistant to stand in line.)

No early access, no freebies just for being a member of the glitterati, or somehow related to our vapid nobility.

But they used Apple products regardless, because they were awesome. And because they were cool. And the fact that Apple didn't have to pay them or give them special privileges like everybody else, made them just a touch cooler than everybody else. A bit more authentic.

And now we get this... Celebrity selfies, execs posing with the few glamorous enough to get a freebie, to artificially make it cool?

I know all the arguments: Its a new kind of product, you can't market it like normal. But the iPhone and the iPad were also "a new kind of product" and Apple didn't have to stoop to this.

I dunno, it just doesn't seem right. I know it's not Steve Jobs Apple anymore... (question is: Is it Tim Cooks Apple? Or something pushed by Ive and Angela Ahrendts that he had to give reluctant approval to...)

And everything changes over time, but this is just so Un-Apple. And reminds me of the Google Glass introduction.
  • Reply 159 of 207

Well, either everything popped into existence out of nothing, it's been here for all of time for no reason, or some intelligence outside of our control put us here. The last one is the only one to make sense I.e. If you see a watch, you know there was a watchmaker.
    mstone wrote: »
     Doesn't matter. We do know s/he just doesn't give a shit about anyone on this rock.

If you believe there is a God, and decide you don't like him/her, know that gods ways are higher than our ways, because he's smarter than us.. Also, know that he doesn't hate us because some live great lives, which an all powerful hateful God wouldn't allow. Then you'd say he either doesn't care, or cares but he's given us free will for a time. If you believe it's free will than use your time to right some wrongs in our short time here. And God says we'll answer for every idle word spoken, without accepting Jesus.

In your view of the world, it's impossible for us to be here, because everything needs to have a beginning, including God, and his makers, so it's fake. But we're here, so you're incorrect. Just because you don't see something doesn't mean it isn't real. God can live in a dimension outside of time, with no beginning and no end. He could have made the world. Scientists can theorize what happened back to the Big Bang and the two atoms colliding, but they don't have a theory before that. That leaves a lot of unanswered questions. The only answer is the author of life, God. It's actually a good thing to face the fact that there's a God, and there's a reason we're here. Should be a great thing to consider that!
  • Reply 160 of 207
    v900v900 Posts: 101member
    But Jobs also hobnobbed with the elite, so your premise is false.

Sure, and he dated pop singers too. But he never sucked up to them by handing out loot bags and unreleased/supply constrained products.

Where does it say Apple was handing out watches at the event? Links, please.

Ehm, it doesn't even have a release date in Italy yet. I suppose all the people wearing them there could in reality be wearing Apple Watch knockoffs, but somehow I doubt it.

It's also kinda weird that all sorts of celebrities have one, when nobody who ordered one have received one yet, and delivery dates are being pushed back until summer, no?
    And unless Apple completely redefines the fashion industry, this kind of thing will continue as they compete for prestige and acceptance by the fashion elite.

I think it's you who must be joking... Apple never had to compete for prestige and acceptance by the fashion elite before. It had it in spades, and was the only brand that has been fashionable for as long as anybody remembers.

Other tech companies had to settle for being an occasional blip on the fashion industry's radar, where Apple has always been fashionable.

Not just because of their products, but also because of the Jobs mystique. And perhaps exactly because they DIDNT try to kiss ass and get the cool kids to like them.
    Fashion is defined by seasons and Apple will likely take steps to keep up with it, ensuring not only that their watch is technologically up to date, but on the cutting edge of fashion trends.

Nonsense. You clearly are clueless when it comes to the fashion and watch industry. "Ensuring that their watch is technologically up to date" is how a geek would think, and irrelevant to the fashion milieu.

Good design is timeless, which is exactly why Omega, Rolex or Tag Heuer: Some of the most prestigious and respected watch makers in the fashionindustry, doesn't release an updated design every spring and fall, but sticks to the same design for decades. Heck, even the watches that Armani, D&G etc. puts their name on and sells, doesn't get updated several times a year, or even yearly.