Porsche to offer Apple CarPlay in future models

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2020
In a quiet update to Apple's dedicated CarPlay webpage, legendary German automaker Porsche was added to a rolling list of companies promising support for the iOS-based infotainment system.

Porsche is the latest brand to commit to CarPlay after Apple CEO Tim Cook last month said all major car manufacturers plan to incorporate the third-party infotainment platform in models rolling out this year.

The previously unreported addition to the CarPlay lineup came sometime in mid-March, according to Internet caches of the website. Porsche owner Volkswagen Group is offering substantial CarPlay support across its marques, including Audi, SEAT, Skoda, Suzuki and Volkswagen.

It is not yet clear how or when the Stuttgart luxury brand plans to build in compatibility, as the company has already developed a fairly comprehensive in-house solution called Porsche Communication Management. PCM offers the usual assortment of niceties like GPS navigation, voice control and digital audio, but bakes in advanced features such as speed limit indicators called up from data stored in the system's navigation database.

In its fight for the dashboard, Apple faces stiff competition from stalwart industry players and fellow tech companies like Google and Microsoft. Google is pushing an Android Auto platform similar to CarPlay, while Microsoft last year saw its Sync tie-up with Ford dissolve, to be replaced by a new iteration powered by BlackBerry's QNX.

Aside from buying a new car, iPhone owners can get access to CarPlay by swapping out stock head units for compatible hardware made by aftermarket audio companies like Alpine, Parrot and Pioneer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28

The good news is that it should be easy to add it to any 911, since they haven't changed in 40 years.

Yes, I went there.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    The last update was the 991 in 2012...assuming this will be a backward retrofit as well...I have 2013 911 and the Porsche PCM is circa 2005
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Apple had better stay away from high dollar brands like Porsche, lest the naysayers whine about "Tim Cook's Apple" being all about the 1%, the fashionable people, or whomever else Steve Jobs (according to their selective memories) would never cavort with.
    potatoleeksoup
  • Reply 4 of 28
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    I rather see mass market auto manufacturers like GM, Ford,Toyota,Honda,etc start adding Carplay support in their popular models.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Apple had better stay away from high dollar brands like Porsche, lest the naysayers whine about "Tim Cook's Apple" being all about the 1%, the fashionable people, or whomever else Steve Jobs (according to their selective memories) would never cavort with.

Ignoring the fact Steve drove around in a high end Mercedes, of course. And that he went around hobnobbing with the entire music industry to sell the iTunes Music Store.

• Reply 6 of 28
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a quiet update to Apple's dedicated CarPlay webpage, legendary German automaker Porsche was added to a rolling list of companies promising support for the iOS-based infotainment system.

Well, that settles it then. :smokey:

• Reply 7 of 28
    citivascitivas Posts: 14member
    The update seems meaningless because a vast majority of the brands they list don't have any production model cars with CarPlay in it and many have not announced any specific plans. It's easy for a bunch of car brands who all want to not be viewed as being left out of the party to say abstractly they will support CarPlay but when the rubber hits the road how many actually have so far (and by that I mean including cars already announced and coming out this year)? Some, but not most of the brands on that page.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,948member
    Great news for my fantasy future self.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 203member

About time Germans. I'm an average Joe lucky enough to have a lovely car thanks to my faith 

in Apple design, ecosystems and the great Tim.

• Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagopaul View Post

The last update was the 991 in 2012...assuming this will be a backward retrofit as well...I have 2013 911 and the Porsche PCM is circa 2005

Which car manufacturer does backwards retrofits?  They all want you to BUY A NEW CAR.  Even if you just drove it off the lot, they will be happy to buy it back from you and sell you a new one with the feature you want.  Course, you'll have to pay depreciation on the used car...

• Reply 11 of 28
    mehranmehran Posts: 53member
    The PCM was designed for pre 2000 and probably first gen blackberry users. It is difficult and unforgiving to use. I have a Cayanne and was going to switch to Merc when time to upgrade in 2016 so I hope Porsche get their act together by end of 2016.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    I am seeing a lot of reporting on CarPlay without hard evidence being provided on which carmakers will offer it in which models even by 2016.

For example, the article talks about Volkswagen's Audi. I wrote to them a couple of weeks ago (and was at a dealership today), and I got the same answer as I did from BMW: they do not know which models in 2016 because HQ will not tell them. Meanwhile BMW is running ads making fun of Siri in the car ().

My wife is also in the market for a car and she's thinking of the Volvo XC60. (Volvo has been touted in many AI articles as one of the early, major adopters.) She found out, however, that only one model of Volvo will have it in 2016, the XC90.

I think there's some breathless reporting on this. I truly wish they'd get past the hype and focus on what's actually happening. Speaking for myself, the next car I buy will have CarPlay or I will hold on to my current vehicle until that happens.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    For most of us, buying a car is a very different experience than buying a phone. It's usually not a spur of the moment decision and involves significant financing, It's all well and good to be coy about future iPhone models, but the CarPlay vaporware situation has gone on for far too long. And no I don't want a third party solution.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    shardshard Posts: 96member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

Which car manufacturer does backwards retrofits?  They all want you to BUY A NEW CAR.  Even if you just drove it off the lot, they will be happy to buy it back from you and sell you a new one with the feature you want.  Course, you'll have to pay depreciation on the used car...

Porsche maybe the exception. They have a department whose sole purpose is to maintain and update old Porsches. In fact they have recently released a new in dash navigation/entertainment system that is compatible all the way back to the original 911.

• Reply 15 of 28
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    shard wrote: »
    Porsche maybe the exception. They have a department whose sole purpose is to maintain and update old Porsches. In fact they have recently released a new in dash navigation/entertainment system that is compatible all the way back to the original 911.p

That's interesting, I didn't know that. I just recently had a new stereo installed in my early 70's Porshe Targa. I was originally going to go with the Pioneer AVH-X7500 as it's a single DIN unit with a pullout display. The problem was it looked horrible when installed and I really didn't care for the UI and lack of customization. So I had the installation guys order me a really nice custom center console which was something I had toyed with doing for a long while and decided on a Blaupunkt Android console instead. What's great about it is I can customize the interface to my liking and install things like my favorite Podcast app, Spotify, Kodi (for the kids to watch movies), etc. My son was even able to sync his Nvidia Gamepad and install Real Racing 3 on it. Anyway I'm very happy with my setup, I also had new Blaupunkt speakers, amp, GPS unit and a small but still very powerful sub-woofer installed, also Blaupunkt, basically everything was from them.

Cape_Town_94x_Menu.jpg
    Blaupunkt Blue Magic series, small and a perfect fit for my little speedster.
    XLf200A_Perspective_Complete_reduced25_05.jpg
    CX130_Composed_Hochtoener_Web_01.jpg
    GTA_270_DSP_complete_reduced25_01.jpg
  • Reply 16 of 28
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagopaul View Post

We'll have to make do without PorscheInsider, but an all new hybrid 911 is expected in 2018.

Porsche is now testing the technology in LeMans with the awesome 919, a V4 turbo powered hybrid.

• Reply 17 of 28
    I'm eager for car manufacturers to move from Pledging to actually Selling.

Hopefully this is the year we'll begin to see a substantial wave of actual product hitting the market. (I'll probably buy a car in the next 2 years, so I'm selfishly hoping that there's a nice variety of CarPlay-equipped models by then!)
  • Reply 18 of 28
    No need to voice our opinion or take side of carplay apple to address high end or other end car market. Carply is an overlay functionality on top of standard that comes with car. So, what difference it makes if it is in over 100K or below. Iphone users come from every segment of human society. People would be happy with carplay is an extension to iphone so you can use from your iphone your contacts, call,receive hands free call or text, constantly updated mapping software, music,etc from iphone.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slprescott View Post

I'm eager for car manufacturers to move from Pledging to actually Selling.

Hopefully this is the year we'll begin to see a substantial wave of actual product hitting the market. (I'll probably buy a car in the next 2 years, so I'm selfishly hoping that there's a nice variety of CarPlay-equipped models by then!)

I am(and many) in same boat pushing the purchase(replace) of car. We don't replace car like phones so I am waiting to see car manufacturers add carplay to their low-medium offerings of cars for their 2016 models available in 2015.

• Reply 20 of 28
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Steve used to drive two powder blue Porsche Boxters to work.