Apple starts charging Apple Watch orders, preparing units for shipping

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
Ahead of an official launch later this week, Apple on Monday began charging full Apple Watch order amounts to customer credit and debit cards, while updating the official status of certain orders from processing to preparing for shipment.

A number of readers informed AppleInsider that their credit card accounts are now showing Apple Watch order deductions, meaning Apple has processed their reservations and is preparing to ship out the device for delivery on Friday.

Certain customers are receiving word through app-based credit card alerts, specifically American Express card holders, while others have seen changes in their order status on Apple's My Account webpage. For example, reader Dan sent in the image above showing Apple is preparing his Watch order for shipment despite an estimated ship-by date of 4-6 weeks.

Today's order fulfillment news follows overwhelming preorder demand seen earlier this month. When Apple Watch went up for sale on April 10, initial supply dried up within minutes as customers saw estimated shipping times for many models slip to 4-6 weeks.

Apple is only accepting Apple Watch orders online and recently informed employees that the device won't be available for in-store purchases until June, at the earliest

Earlier today, analyst Carl Howe cited the stock-outs as an indicator of Apple's plan to keep inventory low in an attempt to accurately gauge interest across three distinct Watch models, Apple Watch, Apple Watch Sport and Apple Watch Edition. He expects the new wearable to become an overnight success for Apple, one that could generate billions of dollars in revenues.

Exact preorder details are unavailable, though noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo estimates numbers will reach 2.3 million units. As production ramps up, Apple should be able to pump out two to three million Watches per month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 116
    tomhayestomhayes Posts: 128member

Mine's Preparing For Shipment now. Was In Process earlier today.

• Reply 2 of 116
    Likewise. Hoping for Friday delivery!
  • Reply 3 of 116
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Pending transactions: £14.03

:(

• Reply 4 of 116
    I'm wondering why mine hasn't changed at all and I'm supposed to receive mine this Friday.
  • Reply 5 of 116
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    HURRY UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
  • Reply 6 of 116
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Mine is Preparing For Shipment.

Credit card was hit a couple of hours ago, and the Apple gift card I had attached to the order dropped to zero at the same time.

Fingers crossed that it'll ship today/tomorrow so I get it on Friday.
  • Reply 8 of 116

sweet. mine is preparing for shipment and Apple has charged my bank account

• Reply 9 of 116
    kb67kb67 Posts: 1member
    My order has moved to processing, money taken! Yay
  • Reply 10 of 116
    so I'm wondering why i haven't been charged and nothing on my invoice has changed and I'm supposed to get my watch this Friday.
  • Reply 11 of 116
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Mine too. Saw the bank card charge and then checked the order in Apples website. Preparing for shipping. Looking forward to having that box handed to me.
  • Reply 12 of 116
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I am so excited ... wait a minute ... I didn't order one yet, Damn!
  • Reply 13 of 116
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NailedToTheX View Post

1 order processing image

Pre-ordered exact one and cancelled it last week after seeing one live: too small for men of any size.

• Reply 14 of 116
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Pre-ordered exact one and cancelled it last week after seeing one live: too small for men of any size.

I didn't pre-order it, but I was going to order the 38mm one after seeing the rendering in the Apple Store App.  My wife convinced me to get the 42mm and after seeing them in the store on Saturday, I'm glad I did.

The 38mm is much smaller than I expected.

• Reply 15 of 116
    It was my chase notification for me I used the Apple Store app and apple pay to pay for it . Delivery had said 4-24 to 5-8 . Hoping for sooner rather rhen later .
  • Reply 16 of 116
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Yup... 2 here.... One steal one sport with white sport bands charged ...3rd one with softpink modern strap... Still not charged
  • Reply 17 of 116
    To all of you whose orders are preparing to ship: I hate you.

Thanks
  • Reply 18 of 116
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I didn't pre-order it, but I was going to order the 38mm one after seeing the rendering in the Apple Store App.  My wife convinced me to get the 42mm and after seeing them in the store on Saturday, I'm glad I did.

The 38mm is much smaller than I expected.

It hurt me when I cancelled it because mine was supposed right on 4/24 delivery. Now, 42mm version I need to order will be June shipment. Damn.

Maybe I just wait for next version with improved  battery or GPS included. I really don't care much about GPS since the device would rarely be used without an iPhone. Fortunately, Apple included WiFi in the watch is the big+, so if you go to the gym and leave your phone in the locker, your watch still fully functional for activity trackers as long as both devices are connected to the same WiFi. I heard Android watches just updated today to include some of these WiFi features to compete with Apple Watch for less dependence on the phone by allowing android wear to stay connect to the phone miles away (who cares?) as long as the phone's connected to WiFi, no need to be on the same WiFi. The question is: how the F would anyone want to leave a phone at home and only bring the watch with him on the road? 

• Reply 19 of 116
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    I am so excited ... wait a minute ... I didn't order one yet, Damn!

Ha! I have the opposite problem. I ordered two late in the day (one SS and one Sport) thinking it would leave me weeks to decide—and prepare the wife. Problem is, my SS is sitting at 4-6 so apparently it could come as early as Friday!
    I'm not ready to decide!!!
  • Reply 20 of 116
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Ha! I have the opposite problem. I ordered two late in the day (one SS and one Sport) thinking it would leave me weeks to decide—and prepare the wife. Problem is, my SS is sitting at 4-6 so apparently it could come as early as Friday!

I'm not ready to decide!!!

I changed my mind to space gray Sport after seeing it next to SS. $200 doesn't justify the SS case with Sapphire glass for me.