Google to discontinue YouTube support on older iOS devices, Apple TVs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67

The YouTube app that Apple included in iOS4 and iOS 5.1.1 (the one with the skeuomorphic TV screen icon, not the red YouTube logo) is still functioning on an iPad 2 running (as you would expect, iOS 5.1.1) as of April 20, 2015 at 11:30 p.m. EDT

No guarantees about tomorrow, of course.

The mobile YouTube address functions fine in Safari, as well.

• Reply 42 of 67
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,049member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

Many Panasonic and Sony TVs will no longer be supported. This Google makes a strong case as why you should not bother with smart TVs. They get obsoleted relatively quickly. You are better off buying a mid-range TV and an external media box.

I wonder if my rooted ATV2 will still be able to show YouTube using XBMC?

I have a ATV1 with XBMC that is still on Frodo and YouTube still works. Seem kind of sluggish loading the video (runs find afterwards) but I don't hardly ever use YouTube on it, so that may be the way it has always been. Haven't try my other ATV1 and ATV2 that are on Gotham yet. And I think my 3 years old Sony BluRay player came with a YouTube app and I haven't try that yet. 

Lost YouTube on my old white Macbook running Mountain Lion and Safari 6.15. The site say it's Safari that is outdated, not Mountain Lion. Looks like I'm going to have to use FireFox on it if I want to see YouTube. For sure I probably lost YouTube on my QuadCore  G5 Power Mac running Leopard. 

• Reply 43 of 67

Simply decline to use a different browser by clicking 'No thanks' button, and YouTube content will still play, for the time being at least, in your existing Safari browser, in this case Safari 6.2.5 running on OS X 10.8.5 "Mountain Lion".

• Reply 44 of 67
    Good riddance for the YouTube app on AppleTV. It never supported live streaming anyways. I mean how many cutesy animal videos can one watch.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    How many devices are running iOS 6 or under?

Well that 2% is actually a huge number totaling in the millions. But it's just YouTube and life will go on fine without it.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    ajmas wrote: »
    So simply it won't work on devices that are no longer supported by their own manufacturers, following Google dropping 'legacy' YouTube support. It sucks, but I suppose it was going to happen at some point?

YouTube still runs fine on my 2006 MBP... I'm glad I never purchased any Google crapo that got broke today... The moral of the story is that if you buy Google crapo it will be orphaned earlier then Apple hardware.
  • Reply 47 of 67
    tonester wrote: »

Well that 2% is actually a huge number totaling in the millions. But it's just YouTube and life will go on fine without it.

Actually you may even be able to watch YouTybe via Safari... Meanwhile Google driven garbage goes dark...
  • Reply 48 of 67
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

........ Apple decided not to renew it because they never cater to customers with old hardware for more than a couple of years.

Damn - that means my mid 2007 iMac must not be supported by Apple - so how come it's running 10.10.3??

• Reply 49 of 67
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

If you are holding onto devices longer than 3 years then I cannot imagine this being that important to you. Aren't some of the devices in question 6 years old? Move along. Move along.

And wait one day you may be forced to buy new TV every 5 years to be able get content in new format and may your 5 year old car will be forbid from highways or city centers....

There is another article about FM radio conspiracy today that  is relevant to this topic. With digital technologies we gain a lot but are loosing freedom.

• Reply 50 of 67
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member

This has major suckage for consumers written all over it. I use YouTube all of the time on my AppleTV v2, mostly to view recorded musical content. It's a great resource for such content on my TV, especially legacy acts. Looks like I'll have to shell out $70 for a new AppleTV just so I can continue to do this. Thank you Apple. No, I'm not going to bring in the kludge of streaming from an iDevice. YouTube was just another channel on AppleTV and having to switch the feed to an external device is a sucky workflow and UX. Oh and now with the "new and improved" YouTube we'l all have the added pleasantry of enjoying Google force fed advertising. Thank you Google. 

Google obviously wants to shove their YouTube based advertising down our throats and Apple doesn't want to jump through any hoops to make iOS 7 or newer work on the previous generation Apple TV. No love from Google and no love from Apple. No matter how you slice it consumers come out of this deal as the losers.

You can say whatever you'd like about product life cycles in the technology space or what you feel constitutes fair and reasonable use of a product over its technology obsolescence calibrated useful lifetime. But also keep in mind that you've been corrupted by these technology companies imposing their will and agenda on you and you're basically bending over and taking it and towing the party line that they've conditioned you to accept as inevitable. If you bought a car or a refrigerator or any other consumer product and a feature that was present at the time of purchase suddenly quit working altogether because "it was in the best interest of the manufacturer to kill that feature" you'd be outraged. But with technology products you think it's okay to let the manufacturer screw you in the same way. Why is that? Even the grand vision of switching from analog to digital television involved a bridging plan with converter boxes being made available to folks who didn't want to or couldn't afford to make the switch. I can understand freezing a feature or functionality at a certain point in a product's life cycle and leaving you behind with respect to new features, but to completely turn off and discontinue a feature that is currently working is totally unacceptable. It's not the $70 either, it's the heavy handed lack of consideration and respect for customers that pisses me off. 

Let this type of behavior serve as a word of warning for everyone who entrusts these same companies to maintain and secure the content of their digital lives within the systems that are run by these same companies. As long as these companies are free to do what is in their best interest, regardless of what it means to their customers, customers will always be at risk of losing something that they consider to be valuable. Losing YouTube on AppleTV and other devices is one thing, but this type of behavior demonstrates that these companies are free to do much more than taking away your cat videos.

Google and Apple 1, consumers 0.

• Reply 51 of 67
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    tonester wrote: »

The actual number is irrelevant.
  • Reply 52 of 67
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member

It appears that a good portion of that 2% are regular AI visitors..
    dewme wrote: »
    This has major suckage for consumers written all over it. I use YouTube all of the time on my AppleTV v2, mostly to view recorded musical content. It's a great resource for such content on my TV, especially legacy acts. Looks like I'll have to shell out $70 for a new AppleTV just so I can continue to do this. Thank you Apple. No, I'm not going to bring in the kludge of streaming from an iDevice. YouTube was just another channel on AppleTV and having to switch the feed to an external device is a sucky workflow and UX. Oh and now with the "new and improved" YouTube we'l all have the added pleasantry of enjoying Google force fed advertising. Thank you Google. 

Google obviously wants to shove their YouTube based advertising down our throats and Apple doesn't want to jump through any hoops to make iOS 7 or newer work on the previous generation Apple TV. No love from Google and no love from Apple. No matter how you slice it consumers come out of this deal as the losers.

You can say whatever you'd like about product life cycles in the technology space or what you feel constitutes fair and reasonable use of a product over its technology obsolescence calibrated useful lifetime. But also keep in mind that you've been corrupted by these technology companies imposing their will and agenda on you and you're basically bending over and taking it and towing the party line that they've conditioned you to accept as inevitable. If you bought a car or a refrigerator or any other consumer product and a feature that was present at the time of purchase suddenly quit working altogether because "it was in the best interest of the manufacturer to kill that feature" you'd be outraged. But with technology products you think it's okay to let the manufacturer screw you in the same way. Why is that? Even the grand vision of switching from analog to digital television involved a bridging plan with converter boxes being made available to folks who didn't want to or couldn't afford to make the switch. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">I can understand freezing a feature or functionality at a certain point in a product's life cycle and leaving you behind with respect to new features, but to completely turn off and </span>
    discontinue<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> a feature that is currently working is totally unacceptable. It's not the $70 either, it's the heavy handed lack of consideration and respect for customers that pisses me off. </span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Let this type of behavior serve as a word of warning for everyone who entrusts these same companies to maintain and secure the content of their digital lives within the systems that are run by these same companies. As long as these companies are free to do what is in their best interest, regardless of what it means to their customers, customers will always be at risk of losing something that they consider to be valuable. Losing YouTube on AppleTV and other devices is one thing, but this type of behavior demonstrates that these companies are free to do much more than taking away your cat videos.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Google and Apple 1, consumers 0.</span>

So you're a *Tech-Communist: you "consume" media which many times shouldn't be there in the first place... but don't want to pay for it with either new hardware, software, subscriptions or ads... and Dawg forbid if they every add features to software that will break your old apps. :rolleyes:

* Actually, you're a "customer" of the very worst kind... so go to the end of the line with your dribble and bits.
  • Reply 53 of 67
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I have an ?TV 2, just waiting for Apple to update the ?TV in a meaningful way so I can get a new one. Hopefully we see it at WWDC.
  • Reply 54 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I have an ?TV 2, just waiting for Apple to update the ?TV in a meaningful way so I can get a new one. Hopefully we see it at WWDC.

Totally agree. I've been waiting for something more compelling than 1080p to justify the upgrade.

• Reply 55 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frantisek View Post

And wait one day you may be forced to buy new TV every 5 years to be able get content in new format and may your 5 year old car will be forbid from highways or city centers....

There is another article about FM radio conspiracy today that  is relevant to this topic. With digital technologies we gain a lot but are loosing freedom.

There is def a trade off but some cut off is required in technology to keep it productive.  I don't have the entire answer but I suspect there will need to be a lease/monthly payment type system for this stuff similar to software subscriptions...not sure how else you would do it.

• Reply 56 of 67

Apple does not write all the software for the AppleTV. However, Apple chooses who gets to write apps for the ATV and it goes through a very different process than with the other iOS devices. I have access to the SDK where I work and we have written ATV apps. But, I have no idea who wrote the YouTube app, it could have been Apple or Google.

• Reply 57 of 67
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    ajmas wrote: »
    So simply it won't work on devices that are no longer supported by their own manufacturers, following Google dropping 'legacy' YouTube support. It sucks, but I suppose it was going to happen at some point?

Is the second gen AppleTV really unsupported though? HBO NOW was released for both 2nd and 3rd gen AppleTVs a few weeks ago.
  • Reply 58 of 67
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

I'm waiting for an Apple alternative to YouTube.

YouTube is crap and finding the content you need can be like finding a needle in a haystack.

If you're having that much trouble finding a specific video on YouTube, you need to hone your search skills a bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

This has major suckage for consumers written all over it. I use YouTube all of the time on my AppleTV v2, mostly to view recorded musical content. It's a great resource for such content on my TV, especially legacy acts. Looks like I'll have to shell out $70 for a new AppleTV just so I can continue to do this. 

You don't need to spend $70. You could get a $30 Chromecast and launch YouTube from your iPhone.

• Reply 59 of 67
    yoyo2222yoyo2222 Posts: 144member

"I don't know if the 2nd generation Apple TV got any of the channel changes"

I have both a v2 and v3 ATV. As far as I can tell they have both received identical channel updates.

On YouTube on the v2 the only thing I have noticed is that the warning video has been inserted into the list in all of my subscriptions. As of today I have not had any trouble playing the subscribed videos or any videos for that matter.

• Reply 60 of 67
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    You don't need to spend $70. You could get a $30 Chromecast and launch YouTube from your iPhone.

er, if he already has an ATV why wouldnt he just airplay it from his phone to the second-gen ATV? i assume video signals still beam, regardless of there not being a working youtube app on ATV anymore.