Apple offers limited number of developers expedited Apple Watch shipping

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anderkh View Post

I have the same problem, but I ordered a stainless steel model.  I could cancel that one, but I don't think I will... not crazy about the blue band.

I have decided to hold on to my previous pre-order until I know for certain if I can get this new pre-order. Only the band is different in the pre-orders.

• Reply 22 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Buy it, then sell it. List it as 'rare dev edition'.

That made me chuckle. Thanks!

• Reply 23 of 46
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

but, but, but,......

so disgusting Apple is giving developers Watches before the general public.  Just looks bad. 

/s

I get it. And point taken.

OTOH, placing one of a kind (or few of a kind) special Edition models on the wrists of already full of themselves and rich celebretards is clearly effective marketing by reinforcing aspirational/identification-with imagery for younger demos even if (like "conspicuous consumption" in general) things like this have always turned me off. 

It's also (as a luxury item campaign) brilliantly cost effective - a news story about singer X with a gold link band on a gold one - which gets picked up by press and blogs and social nets all over the world - reaches a multiple of more eyeballs than a much more expensive ad. 

Still and all, while there's always been a whiff of elitism about Apple's image that's at least equal to its "for the the rest of us" roots, which has ended up happily keeping it out of all the "races to the bottom" and thus is key to its huge success, I'm hoping the whole company isn't headed towards vanity-first products and marketing in the longer term.

• Reply 24 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

That's exactly what Apple wants. These are intended to go to people who use them as real development tools, not to have as a way to get a new toy early.

For me, the real development/test tool and new toy early are one and the same. The Sport is the Watch I need since my $,$$$,$$$ ideas are sports related. I just hope the Watch endures the events I will be wearing it at.

• Reply 25 of 46
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

Great - the one version I don't want. If only they made the offer for the 42mm Stainless with black sport band, I'd be all over it. But I'll just wait a few months to see how the first group of owners likes them, before buying one (or two, so the wife can have one) in-store.

If you had a genuine interest in using this as a development testing platform, the color of the band would be immaterial to you. Thanks for not abusing this offer.

• Reply 26 of 46
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by proline View Post

If you had a genuine interest in using this as a development testing platform, the color of the band would be immaterial to you. Thanks for not abusing this offer.

The size of the band is important so I assume the dev will be able to select which fits.

• Reply 27 of 46
    gijoeinlagijoeinla Posts: 215member
    Oooooooooo. ahhhhhhhhh.

Omg a model below expectations.

Since you imply to be in the know. What "were" those "expectations... Exactly...??

I mean it's quite possible.

So what?!?!?!?!?!?!

Isn't there a neighbors dog peeing on your flowers some where?

Seriously.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

So clearly they are holding back some stock. I'm wondering how soon iFix it and others will have theirs so they can start the tear down process, and drop tests so we can start getting some real answers ...

Yes, because of all the people who somehow drop their watches while wearing them on their wrists. Truly, a real problem that everyone has.  

• Reply 29 of 46
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    I wonder what the point is. People who need one for testing will have made sure to get one on preorder day. Others clearly did not need one ten days ago, they don't need one today...
  • Reply 30 of 46
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Does this suggest the blue band Sport is the least popular model? Most people I've read who ordered a Sport model want all black.

• Reply 31 of 46
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Real answers to what?

Are you suggesting that you know everything you wanted to know about the ?Watch from Apple's official spec sheets? I wanna know what makes this thing tic (pun intended). I can't wait to find out how it's put together, and how scratch resistant it is, or what happens when you submerge it into water in a real world situation, etc ...

• Reply 32 of 46
    ackpfftackpfft Posts: 38member

I got the email offer this afternoon.  I'm one of those folks who kinda/sorta helps the Dev team occasionally and gets the Apple emails but doesn't actually do any Dev'ing. 

Have not worn a watch for years so I'll likely sit on the side lines for this first iteration or, at the very least, see how they work in the wild.

• Reply 33 of 46
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    konqerror wrote: »
    That's exactly what Apple wants. These are intended to go to people who use them as real development tools, not to have as a way to get a new toy early.

exactly. i cant believe the number of vocal children on MacRumors who are outrightly hostile toward apple over this generous move. they dont seem to get that its for *developers*, and that as *developers*, we dont care what color device our software is running on when we're testing them.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    I wonder what the point is. People who need one for testing will have made sure to get one on preorder day. Others clearly did not need one ten days ago, they don't need one today...

incorrect -- despite my best efforts, which only took me minutes (getting up in the middle of the night, waiting for the store to go online, using Favorites and Apple Pay, etc), my order doesnt get delivered for weeks. if it happened to me, it surely happened to many other devs.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Got the e-mail now but I'm going to stick with my SS order. :)

• Reply 36 of 46
    todhugtodhug Posts: 3member
    I received my email around 11:30 MST this morning, April 21st. I've been trying to move my app to the watch and it certainly would help a lot to have the watch to test on instead of the simulator watch.

THANKS APPLE, I hope to get one now.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    tomhqtomhq Posts: 22member
    anderkh wrote: »
    Clearly, pre-orders for this model were below expectations :)
    The expected ship date for this model is June..
  • Reply 38 of 46
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The size of the band is important so I assume the dev will be able to select which fits.

Each Apple Watch Sport comes with both band sizes (two bands inside the box).

• Reply 39 of 46
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Each Apple Watch Sport comes with both band sizes (two bands inside the box).

Good to know. I guess they just want to know which one to install.

• Reply 40 of 46
    Apple have never before done anything to help developers get hardware early, so it seems most likely they have excess of the sport/blue combination. Not surprising to me, certainly the most boring colour.

I've had the email, but I think I'll wait a couple more weeks for the space grey and black I ordered. I'll probably wait until the full SDK is out rather than messing with watch kit, in any case my desire to create a retro 1970's LED watchface is nixed by Apple at this point.