Apple Watch Sport's Ion-X glass reportedly endures scratch test in new video

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
A video published to YouTube on Tuesday shows a scratch test featuring what is claimed to be an Apple Watch Sport's Ion-X cover glass, a scratch-resistant material whose properties lie somewhere between toughened glass and sapphire.

If the display cover procured by Lewis Hilsenteger of Unbox Therapy is legitimate, it comes constructed from a proprietary ion-impregnated glass Apple has branded Ion-X. While not as durable as sapphire, which is used on Apple Watch and Apple Watch Edition models, Apple says Ion-X is more resistant to wear and tear than hardened substrates typically found on current smartphones.

To create Ion-X material, Apple dips glass into a molten salt bath that transfers smaller sodium ions out of the substrate, filling in the spaces with larger potassium ions. Exposed surfaces become hardened during the process, making it more resilient to scratching and nicks.

As seen in the video, Apple's special glass withstands punishment from a key, knife and steel wool, but fares poorly against two sheets of sandpaper at unspecified grits. The results are comparable to similar products like Corning's Gorilla Glass, itself used on iPhone and iPad models.

Apple's Ion-X glass is thought to be less expensive than sapphire crystal, making it an attractive choice for entry-level Watch versions. In addition, Apple Watch Sport models are being marketed to active users who likely prefer lightweight Ion-X panels to heavy sapphire faces.

Earlier this month, a UK iPhone repair company got their hands on an alleged Apple Watch sapphire panel, which was subsequently stress-tested using sandpaper, keys and even a power drill. Unlike today's results, the sapphire part came out unscathed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

I'll keep that in mind the next time I decided to rub steel wool on my watchface :rolleyes:. That being said, eager for my 42mm Apple Watch with Milanese band to arrive.

• Reply 2 of 46
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    I'll keep that in mind the next time I decided to rub steel wool on my watchface :rolleyes: . That being said, eager for my 42mm Apple Watch with Milanese band to arrive.
    What do you care? You can take a power drill to yours every morning and buff with steel wool every night...
    (I still can't decide which order to cancel, Sport or SS)
  • Reply 3 of 46
    The steel wool does no damage. It's both the sandpapers that do damage.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

What do you care? You can take a power drill to yours every morning and buff with steel wool every night...

The point being, even if I were going to "daily" a Sport model, sandpaper and steel wool would be the least of my concerns. I just find these tests... synthetic and odd.

• Reply 5 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I'm glad I decided to go with Sport.  For a first gen version, I didn't want to spend the kind of money needed for Stainless Steel.

• Reply 6 of 46
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    If you let sandpaper anywhere near your watch, you're a damned idiot.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    stanhopestanhope Posts: 160member
    This time next year, when we are queuing up in store for generation 2 (yes Virginia, I doubt they'll repeat this online debacle) this sport will be on eBay for $200. I ordered the sport with the idea of spending more when the battery life gets to 24 hours or better.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    danielsw wrote: »
    Sand"paper" I'd agree but I expect many besides myself live near beaches and that means sand is everywhere irrespective of our IQs. And that will include pockets we'll occasionally reach into with the hand on whose wrist is the watch....

And thus: SS for me at any rate.
  • Reply 9 of 46

Lewis Hilsenteger? OMG. This is the same guy that started the iPhone 6+ bend controversy. His bend till it breaks video was later thought to be altered for a more 'dramatic' effect but he still managed to get more than 30 million views to pay for his broken iPhone 6+ .. and then some.

Sandpaper? C'mon Lewis, why don't you just bend the Apple watch for us?  .... /s

• Reply 10 of 46
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    stanhope wrote: »
    This time next year, when we are queuing up in store for generation 2 (yes Virginia, I doubt they'll repeat this online debacle) this sport will be on eBay for $200. I ordered the sport with the idea of spending more when the battery life gets to 24 hours or better.

1) I really doubt annual updates to the watch line. software, perhaps, but not hardware.

2) there's been no debacle. a new Apple product selling out before you could get one does not a debacle make. nobody buying them would be a debacle.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    mazda 3s wrote: »

The point being, even if I were going to "daily" a Sport model, sandpaper and steel wool would be the least of my concerns. I just find these tests... synthetic and odd.
    I get it. I was just funnin' you.

However, an imperfect "synthetic" test does make some sense IMHO. If you want a sense of its long term durability, you have few choices. You can wait till they have been out for a year or two and make a "natural" observation of wear and damage or you can try to simulate the accumulated year's worth of scratches and bumps in a short time.

Obviously, only an idiot will take sandpaper to their watch. But I know mine will hit my keys, the window sill, and the metal latch of the screen door. I know it will rub up against clothes that have sand in them and bedsheets with sand and couch pillows with sand on them.

The sandpaper test actually makes quite a bit of sense to me when looked at in this light. Now the drill test? That is more of a stunt...
  • Reply 12 of 46
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

No way in hell am I clicking on that link.

I'm not giving any views and contributing to the revenue of these youtube whores who make these dumb videos.

And post #10 pointed out that this is the same person who made that idiotic iPhone bend video.

• Reply 13 of 46
    krawallkrawall Posts: 162member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

1) I really doubt annual updates to the watch line. software, perhaps, but not hardware.

2) there's been no debacle. a new Apple product selling out before you could get one does not a debacle make. nobody buying them would be a debacle.

1. I really hope and expect annual updates to both the hardware and the software of the watch (this is why I went with the Sport as well)

• Reply 14 of 46
    danielsw wrote: »

(Or a carpenter with a nice watch)
  • Reply 15 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeJay2012 View Post

Lewis Hilsenteger? OMG. This is the same guy that started the iPhone 6+ bend controversy. His bend till it breaks video was later thought to be altered for a more 'dramatic' effect but he still managed to get more than 30 million views to pay for his broken iPhone 6+ .. and then some.

Sandpaper? C'mon Lewis, why don't you just bend the Apple watch for us?  .... /s

I'm not even going to visit his channel, but tell me: did he ever post a bend video of the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge for his channel?

• Reply 16 of 46
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member

Sandpaper/glasspaper is a misnomer, they don't contain sand or glass. It's a range of minerals, most often Aluminium Oxide (aka "sapphire"). Testing with sandpaper is pointless because you will very rarely have to deal with abrasion like that in the real world. (If ever.)

Instead test with sand/sandstone, brick, rocks or car keys. Those are things that the watch face are likely to run against, unsurprisingly Ion-X glass stands up well to those.

• Reply 17 of 46
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I'm not even going to visit his channel, but tell me: did he ever post a bend video of the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge for his channel?

I'm not visiting there too but my bet is he's smart enough not to post it. Nobody will care to see it.

• Reply 18 of 46
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

That's the same douchebag that created the viral "bendgate" video when the iP6 was first released. Heard he made boatloads of Google ad revenue from the millions of YouTube views.

• Reply 19 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I'm not visiting there too but my bet is he's smart enough not to post it. Nobody will care to see it.

I searched for the name found a deleted Wikipedia page, deleted for the following reasons:

Quote:

Please be aware that no number of subscribers — whether two or two million — confers a Wikipedia notability freebie on a person who isn't the subject of sufficient coverage in reliable sources to earn one the normal way. But that has failed to be demonstrated here — this relies heavily on primary and unreliable sources, with the few reliable ones not being substantively enough about him (he's quoted in a couple of articles about the iPhone, but fails to be the subject of any of them in a particularly substantive way), nor numerous enough in number, to confer notability under WP:GNGDeleteBearcat (talk) 01:36, 5 April 2015 (UTC)

Basically, this mod noticed that Hilsenteger only (weak) claim to notability was being mentioned (non-substantively) in a couple of articles about the iPhone. Think about that: the iPhone is propping up his notability, weakly. I'd say that pretty much sums up his YouTube channel.

• Reply 20 of 46
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    I want to see blendtec blend the apple watch edition...