Apple releases Xcode 6.3.1, fixing 'critical issues' related to debugging and more

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I guess it depends upon which versions you are comparing the IDE with. xCode in the 6.x series seemed to pick up some real performance advantages on old hardware. Before my MBP update I was actually fairly happen with the improved performance on old hardware.

Unfortunately I haven't gotten into 6.x heavily instead using Eclipse to build a python project. However I have an idea or two for both platforms that will have me back on XCode. That and I really need to learn Swift. Maybe the bug will be gone by the time I get back to it.

With the exceptions of the every-so-more-than-often clashes with Obj-C frameworks (ahem, Core Data), Swift is wonderful. I shifted all of my active development to it. 

But good news, guys. I'm not crabby anymore because 6.3.1 fixed my woes. I've been using it for a few hours and things are much better.

• Reply 22 of 25
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    asdasd wrote: »
    VS is better and Xcode is pretty good when it works.
    Wasn't the 6.x series a major rewrite of XCode. I seem to remember reading something like that on Apple developers sight. I know they did something right that gave me back a bit of performance on some old hardware.
    My "snarky" comment refers to the frustrations about its cycle of stability and instability. It was super robust until 4.0 and then has gone in cycles of full and point releases regressing and stabilising. Rinse and repeat.

6.2 was good.

Unfortunately Apple seems to be following such a pattern with things beyond its IDE. You can almost expect an IDE to be less polished as it is oriented to programmers implementing new technologies. I'm more concerned about seeing more solid OS releases.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    raz0rraz0r Posts: 28member
    To all those complaining about Xcode, I suggest that you try AppCode.

It's simply leaps and bounds ahead of Xcode for coding, refactoring and debugging. And its interface builder is getting better with every version.

Been using it for years and love it.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

evidently not, trollster.

that was c# syntax and I understand your logic perfectly -- it's already been destroyed above. no active software stops being improved. if you were an actual software dev (doubtful) you'd know this.

I have been building software on the Mac and then the iPhone for years. You are clearly a hacker. Plenty of people who aren't hacking ( and some who are) have had problems with xCode related to certificates, memory leaks, slowness in general, crashes and general instability across point releases. It is getting better, but it reverses.  If you had to produce production code you would know about it. 

Now let me explain your logical problems before I put you back on ignore:

1) xCode isn't Swift. You basically changed the argument, or you can't read.

2) You can't -- when this is pointed out --  logically replace the subject of my sentence with your own subject, so your logic fails. If I say I don't like Apples, you can't argue that I was saying that I like Oranges because "both are stupid statements".

• Reply 25 of 25
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

here, then run this:

dumbThingSaid.Replace("swift", "xcode");

...executes the same.

It really doesn't. It might "execute" but the output is clearly different.

For instance with the same input ( and keeping your stupidly named class). 

dumbThingSaid.Replace("Is", "Be");

dumbThingSaid.Replace(".", " when it's finished.");

would replace my statement with "Xcode. Is Great."

Serious misunderstanding of the very basic of programming, or how English works,  here. Back to ignore.