Review: Fitbit Surge, an iPhone-connected health & fitness tracker

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 30
    solipsismy wrote: »
    ...but there is plenty of evidence to show they are using a new font altogether.

    Looks like it:

    Alan Dye later described to me the “pivotal moment” when he and Ive decided “to avoid the edge of the screen as much as possible.” This was part of an overarching ambition to blur boundaries between software and hardware. (It’s no coincidence, Dye noted, that the “rounded squareness” of the watch’s custom typeface mirrors the watch’s body.) The studio stopped short of banishing screen edges altogether, Dye said, “when we discovered we loved looking at photos on the watch, and you can’t not show the edge of a photo.” He laughed. “Don’t get me wrong, we tried! I could list a number of terrible ideas.” They attempted to blur edges, and squeeze images into circles. There was “a lot of vignetting”—the darkening of a photograph’s corners. “In the end, it was maybe putting ourselves first,” he said.
  • Reply 22 of 30

    I'm getting a little antsy about no rumors yet for the next Apple media event. Absolute latest the event will be is the end of April (assuming Tim's promise of shipment on Apple Watch in April is still true.) We should be hearing about the schedule soon; they will need a BIG event center. Those are a bit hard to schedule at the last minute.

     

    Apple has some 'splainin' to do. Pricing speculation is getting a bit...terse. And the stock (at least today) is going apeshit.

     

    Optimally, I think Tim wants to say at the end "available for order today. See them in the stores tomorrow." Not sure it will pan out that way though.

  • Reply 23 of 30
    eightzero wrote: »
    I'm getting a little antsy about no rumors yet for the next Apple media event.

    My spies at Apple say they're going to announce another event within 2 weeks. (Not really. Just seeing if I can get the rumour mill started)
  • Reply 24 of 30
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 2,648member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post





    My spies at Apple say they're going to announce another event within 2 weeks. (Not really. Just seeing if I can get the rumour mill started)

    Ah. *Thanks!* Within 2 weeks from *now* or within 2 weeks of the product ship/order/whatever date? I think you mean the former.

     

    Suspect it will be all Apple Watch, but who knows what else might be added. A BT4 enabled Airport for Apple Watch? AppleTV? That rMBA thingy? Apple Car (haha)?

  • Reply 25 of 30
    can/t find anything from APPLE that the apple watch will be $350.00???
  • Reply 26 of 30
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by emetoy001 View Post

    can/t find anything from APPLE that the apple watch will be $350.00???

    In September, Tim Cook noted the prices will start at $349

  • Reply 27 of 30
    chris_ca wrote: »
    In September, Tim Cook noted the prices will start at $349

    Adding to your comment...
    1000


    emetoy001 wrote: »
    can/t find anything from APPLE that the apple watch will be $350.00???

    Note that the Apple Watch series starts at $349, but that the Apple Watch and Apple Watch Edition product segment price ranges are unknown. It's the Apple Watch Sport product segment that starts at $349, and I would assume another $50 for the 42mm version.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    solipsismy wrote: »

    My spies at Apple say they're going to announce another event within 2 weeks. (Not really. Just seeing if I can get the rumour mill started)

    You should totally set up a shit company like DigiTimes so you can make shit up and be accidentally correct on occasion¡
  • Reply 29 of 30
    I have to say, in my personal opinion, having spent two weeks with the Surge and then replacing it with the Microsoft Band, I disagree with the comfort factor expressed in the article. The Band is thicker to be sure, but the Surge is much wider and therefore took up much more "wrist space" which I found annoying. Also, back when I wore a regular watch years ago, I always wore it with the face on the inside of my wrist, for two reasons: 1) the face was always banging on things and getting scratched up when I wore it facing out, and 2) I find it much more natural to check the time by looking at the inside of my wrist, since looking at the outside of my wrist involves a little arm twisting. The Band's sensors work whether it's worn on the inside or outside of your wrist, but I'm glad it was designed from the inside because that just feels much more natural and ergonomic. And the color screen and UI interaction is just so much more attractive, made switching pretty much of a no brainer.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Great review. I cancelled my Apple Watch order because I don't want to have something that distracts me from my goal of getting healthy, and Apple Watch seems mediocre as a health tracker.

    One note: the Charge HR (which is excellent) lives fine underwater. I walks laps with it for 60 minutes twice a week and also take baths with it on. I assume the Surge, which has an even higher "water resistance" rating, will be as good. If I mess up my new watch by using it in the bath or pool, I'll go back to the Surge.
Sign In or Register to comment.