Apple starts charging Apple Watch orders, preparing units for shipping

Comments

• Reply 81 of 116
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ok, you're on your own, Dr. M: mine just prepared for shipment! image

Damn. My status still shows as processing.

• Reply 82 of 116
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ok, you're on your own, Dr. M: mine just prepared for shipment! image

You still think you have a chance of it arriving on Friday Anant?

Mine switch to Preparing For Shipment on Monday, but nothing since then.  If it doesn't leave today, I don't see how it could make it to California from China in time for Friday.

• Reply 83 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

You still think you have a chance of it arriving on Friday Anant?

Mine switch to Preparing For Shipment on Monday, but nothing since then.  If it doesn't leave today, I don't see how it could make it to California from China in time for Friday.

We are probably over-analyzing the significance of order status. I remember the tracking on previous first-day orders looking liked they were bouncing back and forth between shipping hubs in the U.S. and China on a daily if not hourly basis, and were still doing that even after they began arriving at customer's doors. The logistics of moving so much product over such a huge distance to so many addresses has to be massively complicated. The internal workings of how that gets done isn't necessarily going to be transparent to us.

• Reply 84 of 116
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

We are probably over-analyzing the significance of order status. I remember the tracking on previous first-day orders looking liked they were bouncing back and forth between shipping hubs in the U.S. and China on a daily if not hourly basis, and were still doing that even after they began arriving at customer's doors. The logistics of moving so much product over such a huge distance to so many addresses has to be massively complicated. The internal workings of how that gets done isn't necessarily going to be transparent to us.

Fair enough.

The reason I ask is I've never pre-ordered an Apple product before, so I'm not sure what to accept.  I also very much want mine to turn up on Friday, because I'm going on vacation for a couple of weeks from Saturday!

• Reply 85 of 116
    Quote:

Fair enough.

The reason I ask is I've never pre-ordered an Apple product before, so I'm not sure what to accept.  I also very much want mine to turn up on Friday, because I'm going on vacation for a couple of weeks from Saturday!

When I've preordered for first-day delivery before (twice), the delivery status was unclear but the product always arrived by the end of the day. Not that Apple Watch could not be different. I am more or less in the same "boat." We are going on a cruise in mid-June. I'd like to have some time with my Apple Watch before we leave. Feeling like the expectant father pacing the halls in the maternity ward! (Do expectant fathers even do that anymore? Probably not!)

• Reply 86 of 116
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

When I've preordered for first-day delivery before (twice), the delivery status was unclear but the product always arrived by the end of the day. Not that Apple Watch could not be different. I am more or less in the same "boat." We are going on a cruise in mid-June. I'd like to have some time with my Apple Watch before we leave. Feeling like the expectant father pacing the halls in the maternity ward! (Do expectant fathers even do that anymore? Probably not!)

Ha ha!  I know what you mean.  My wife and I adopted our child, and while we were fortunate to be at the hospital while our birthmother was in labor, we (obviously) weren't in the delivery room, so I did pace the halls like fathers of old!

Actually my main reason for wanting it to arrive before I go on holiday is I know it will annoy my dad (who I'll be visiting) enormously if I have an Apple Watch and he doesn't!

• Reply 87 of 116
    Quote:

Ha ha!  I know what you mean.  My wife and I adopted our child, and while we were fortunate to be at the hospital while our birthmother was in labor, we (obviously) weren't in the delivery room, so I did pace the halls like fathers of old!

Actually my main reason for wanting it to arrive before I go on holiday is I know it will annoy my dad (who I'll be visiting) enormously if I have an Apple Watch and he doesn't!

If my dad was still alive it would annoy him in an entirely different way. He'd ask, "how much did you spend on that junk?"

• Reply 88 of 116
    andycandyc Posts: 7member
    And now in the UK.

But in UK English it's Preparing for Dispatch (not Shipment - we're an island!).
  • Reply 89 of 116
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Most watch will be shipped in June:

Early 2015 my ass.

First half of the year. Close enough.

I expect it will be worth the wait as opposed to getting a product release to meet a badly estimated deadline and then ship crap they have to recall.

• Reply 90 of 116
    I pre-ordered a 38mm space grey black sport model on April 10th at 12:03 pacific time through the Apple Store iPhone app. I am still not seeing the charge on my AmEx or a change in my order status of "processing..." I live in Manhattan, so I assume my distribution hub is via Newark. Has anyone expecting this model in the Northeast/NYC area received shipment confirmation or a credit card charge? Based on what I've seen on MacRumors, no one who ordered this particular model in the U.S. has seen an order status change.
  • Reply 91 of 116
    I ordered the SS with the black sports band at :03 into the pre-order. Still nothing and I go on vacation on Saturday morning so I was hoping for a Friday delivery (getting my additional Apple watch charger that I ordered separately by UPS tomorrow so no watch but I can practice charging it). Living on the east coast I'm still holding out for one day shipping for Friday. But not holding our much hope as another article said that 30% off the preorders were for the watch configuration I chose.
  • Reply 92 of 116

Within the last hour or so (4PM PDT), the status on my order for a 42mm w/ Milanese changed to "preparing for shipment." I am beginning to believe that most if not all orders showing the 4-24 to 5-8 shipping window are going to be in our hands on Friday.

• Reply 93 of 116
    jodyzjodyz Posts: 12member

Based on everybody's comments, both in this thread and others, I think the shipping feels more random, rather than planned, with respect to which models are already shipping and which are 'processing'.  I guess we all need to learn more patience. But it's definitely difficult, because it feels like we have been waiting forever!  Ahh...if only I were a supermodel or a rap mogul!  I would have my watch by now, for sure!!!

• Reply 94 of 116
    My ? Watch with white sport band showed Preparing for Shipment up to last night. I got the confirmation email of the order at 2:06 AM CST. I figured I wouldn't get it by Friday since estimated delivery said 4/24-5/8. Then I got this notification this morning ????

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/58297/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 95 of 116
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    jodyz wrote: »
    .... But it's definitely difficult, because it feels like we have been waiting forever! ...
    The ?Watch is and has always been scheduled to go on sale April 24, 2015. Pre-orders also have been scheduled to be delivered April 24, 2015. Today is April 23, 2015. April 24, 2015 is tomorrow. Unless you are a time traveler who is somehow stuck in his/her own past, you have not been waiting at all.
  • Reply 96 of 116
    jodyzjodyz Posts: 12member

Sorry - should have clarified that I meant waiting for Apple to conceive of, design, announce, build, sell, and deliver a watch forever!  As a LONG time Apple fangirl, the idea of owning an Apple watch of one sort or another has been on my radar for a long time.

By the way, I'm not sure how they will accomplish it, but mine is now listed as SHIPPED as of the wee hours, with an estimated delivery of the 24th!!!!  I can't imagine it can actually get here from China that quickly, but fingers crossed!!!

• Reply 97 of 116
    Mine is being shipped from Tennessee to So.,California tomorrow. They must have inventory sitting around different US warehouses.
  • Reply 98 of 116
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    modena360 wrote: »
    Mine is being shipped from Tennessee to So.,California tomorrow. They must have inventory sitting around different US warehouses.

Yes. Rene Ritchie from iMore stated Apple moved large amounts of product to the U.S. to better coordinate the final shipping and delivery.
  • Reply 99 of 116
    The funny thing is mine is coming to Palm Springs from Tennessee. Someone is receiving theirs from Rialto, CA., which is only 60 miles from me! I guess they have different models stockpiled around the country.
  • Reply 100 of 116
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Modena360 View Post

The funny thing is mine is coming to Palm Springs from Tennessee. Someone is receiving theirs from Rialto, CA., which is only 60 miles from me! I guess they have different models stockpiled around the country.

Those locations don't mean a lot. They are probably where the bills of lading cleared customs, not where your package is now (or ever has been).