Apple confirms some Apple Watch orders shipping out earlier than estimated

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
Apple on Wednesday confirmed reports that some Apple Watch orders are shipping out earlier than expected, with customers previously scheduled to take receipt of the device as late as May and June now seeing "preparing for shipment" order status.

It was reported earlier today that customers are now seeing "preparing for shipment" status on orders previously estimated to ship in four to six weeks and beyond. In a statement to BuzzFeed News, Apple has confirmed suppliers are working hard to beat those estimates.

"We're happy to be updating many customers today with the news that their Apple Watch will arrive sooner than expected," an Apple representative said. "Our team is working to fill orders as quickly as possible based on the available supply and the order in which they were received. We know many customers are still facing long lead times and we appreciate their patience."

Apple did not offer further comment on the change in shipping times, nor did the company say which Apple Watch models were being shipped out early. When Apple Watch went up for preorder on April 10, initial stock dwindled within minutes of going live as early buyers saw ship-by times increase from launch day to 4-6 weeks.

In a video sent out to Apple Store employees on Tuesday, retail chief Angela Ahrendts said demand for Watch was intense, asking workers to impress upon customers that the device is a not only a new product, but an entirely new platform. She mentioned walk-ins have been confused as to how best procure a Watch, especially given pre-release demonstration availability with Watch try-ons, a departure from routine for Apple.

For now, Apple is restricting orders to the Online Apple Store and does not plan to have in-store units available until June, at the earliest.

Apple's statement comes on the heels of reports earlier today noting a second wave of Apple Watch preorders could hit as early as May 8 in countries like Italy, which suggests production is quickly ramping up.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    wow from june to april is pretty huge gap. they must have done some serious underestimating
  • Reply 2 of 60
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member

Still no love from my SS link bracelet :(

• Reply 3 of 60
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Oh my god. Failure! Angela should be fired for not sticking to the original delivery dates! /s
  • Reply 4 of 60
    I imagine customers placed multiple orders at 12:01 a.m., then scheduled "try on" sessions to see which if any watch they wanted. No out-of-pocket cost, so it's a win-win.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    schlack wrote: »
    wow from june to april is pretty huge gap. they must have done some serious underestimating

Or their suppliers have solved some of their yield problems.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-Watch-production-hampered-by-shortages-related-to-the-Taptic-Engine-and-the-OLED-screen_id68308
  • Reply 6 of 60

Still haven't shipped my 12:01am ordered 42mm watch with Milanese.

• Reply 7 of 60
    tnw2933tnw2933 Posts: 13member

I ordered a stainless steel 42 mm with Milanese loop for myself and a space grey 38 mm with black sport band for my wife.  Both orders went in within 2 minutes of the Apple Store taking orders on April 10th. I used the Apple Store app on my iPad to prepare the orders.  My order immediately said delivers April 24 - May 8.  My wife's watch was stated to deliver May 13 - May 27th.  At this time both orders are still saying the same thing, i.e. "Processing Orders".  No sign of either watch preparing for shipment.

Tom 

• Reply 8 of 60
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

Interesting. I'd be curious to know why the estimates were so off. Is it because they need a better algorithm for managing orders, were they just really conservative, or is it outside influences such as canceling one of a double order after the customer got a chance to see it in the store, or did their manufacturing abilities surprise them when they ramped up to full production? 

• Reply 9 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Interesting. I'd be curious to know why the estimates were so off. Is it because they need a better algorithm for managing orders, were they just really conservative, or is it outside influences such as canceling one of a double order after the customer got a chance to see it in the store, or did their manufacturing abilities surprise them when they ramped up to full production? 

no yes yes and probably yes.

• Reply 10 of 60
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    mac_128 wrote: »

Supply issues solved or better than projected?

When I ordered my iPhone 6, I recd it two weeks earlier than the estimated date.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

They are usually conservative in estimating shipping dates, as I'd mentioned before.

• Reply 12 of 60
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

When I ordered my iPhone 6, I recd it two weeks earlier than the estimated date.

Same here, I got my iPhone 6 3 weeks earlier than the original date. Was kind of pissed too because I was hoping to push it off to the next credit card statement.

• Reply 13 of 60
    I find it amusing that I ordered the same 42mm Space Grey and have shipping date 4/24-5/8 that hasnt been processed and the one up there 4-6 weeks out has FML
  • Reply 14 of 60
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    get a life folks
  • Reply 15 of 60
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member

Com'on chairman Honeycrisp! Know what I see when I look at my order status? "June."

• Reply 16 of 60
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member

Ah. And the last 3 guided tour videos just came available on the apple site.

• Reply 17 of 60
    [IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/58257/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Was speaking to an apple rep who told me the apple watch is being strictly coordinated as they will be delivered to customers in the fastest time and on schedule. Hope this was of any help ??
  • Reply 18 of 60
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member

Better to under-promise and over-deliver. I'd much rather have an order expected for May come in April than an order expected in April be backordered to May.

• Reply 19 of 60
    I have been assured by Apple who confirmed my watch is currently in a warehouse in states and I was fortunate enough to have ordered mine sooner than later, hope you won't have too long of a wait to get yours.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    Still no tracking for my "preparing for shipment " order , hopefully by the morning it will have moved .