Apple being wooed by Nokia for $3.2B HERE mapping acquisition, report says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2015
A report on Wednesday claims Apple is among a number of high-profile tech companies being courted by Nokia in the Finnish firm's attempt to sell off its HERE mapping service and related assets.

Citing sources familiar with the matter, Bloomberg reports Nokia's list of potential buyers reads like a who's who of the tech industry, and includes Apple, Amazon, Alibaba, Baidu, Facebook, Sirius XM and Harman International, as well as German automakers and private holdings firms.

The person said Nokia is seeking more than 3 billion euros (roughly $3.2 billion) for HERE's mapping assets despite the cache being valued at $2.14 billion last year. Nokia's investment in HERE's technology, including those got through acquisitions like NAVTEQ, was pegged at $8.1 billion in 2008, the publication said.

It is unclear when Nokia is to officially put HERE up for bid, but Bloomberg reported earlier in April that the company is working with a financial advisor toward that goal.

For Apple, the addition of HERE could play an important role in the buildout of Apple Maps, which drew criticism when it launched in iOS 6. Two and a half years later, Maps still lacks basic features like mass transit data, though Apple is working on enhancing backend support.

Interestingly, Nokia recently revamped the iOS version of HERE and returned the app to Apple's App Store after a 15-month hiatus.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66

Waste of money. Offer them $500 and an Apple Watch Edition for their CEO.

• Reply 2 of 66

The maps data was one thing Nokia held out specifically during the sale of shit to MS. Maybe they were trying to leverage it during the sale and got stuck with it. If it has any real value, it is the map's reputation with European smart phone users.

Apple has moved a long way down the road fleshing out their own maps. The time to dangle this in front of Apple may have long since passed. As an American I can't see any benefit, but I do understand Europeans have a different experience with Apple Maps...maybe even Asians.

I'd like to hear how the rest of the world sees the Maps issue...

• Reply 3 of 66
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I couldn't work out just WHY would mapping application be so expensive.
    It would properly take Apple 320 Million and a few more years to get there.
    Why spend 3.2 Billion now?

And I dont think HERE does great in China Mapping either.
  • Reply 4 of 66
    You have no idea how bad apple maps on this side of Atlantic (especially in Eastern Europe and former-USSR, which account for ~300mln ppl). If I were in any position to vote in this matter - I would strongly advice to buyout HERE
  • Reply 5 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadman View Post

You have no idea how bad apple maps on this side of Atlantic (especially in Eastern Europe and former-USSR, which account for ~300mln ppl). If I were in any position to vote in this matter - I would strongly advice to buyout HERE

300 million people, perhaps, but probably not a large market for Apple with the currency and political issues.

• Reply 6 of 66

300 million people, perhaps, but probably not a large market for Apple with the currency and political issues.

Still, it is a big market with quite potential. Apple knows that, they are actively expanding here lately. Also, there are other places outside US and Eatern Europe - where Apple Maps s**ks, really badly... My friends from India, Latin America never uses their app
  • Reply 7 of 66
    "Sources familiar with the matter"
  • Reply 8 of 66
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    A sale would make sense. The talent alone. I would imagine maping is something daunting that taxes Apple employees and is wearing them thin.
  • Reply 9 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nomadman View Post

Maybe Apple just might want to do something to improve its sales in Europe... naw...

• Reply 10 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rp2011 View Post

A sale would make sense. The talent alone. I would imagine maping is something daunting that taxes Apple employees and wearing them thin.

I think you're right...I'm not too sure how anxious the "talent" would like to be part of the sale - seeing how well the smart phone "talent" fared once they were bought by Ballmer... "Here's your workspace, but don't get too comfortable."

• Reply 11 of 66
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    I hope Apple does buy HERE. Apple Maps is still horrible for me. I run it along with Google Maps at the same time and Apple Maps is almost always off. I can't rely on it at all. Especially the time to destination. That's always way off, usually on the too long side. I'm still not a fan of Apple Maps but keep using it side by side with Google Maps to see if it improves at all.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    ...then again with Nokia shopping them around, résumés are already landing on Apple HR laps. Maybe they can get the Here talent for far cheaper than 3 billion
  • Reply 13 of 66
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    ksec wrote: »
    I couldn't work out just WHY would mapping application be so expensive.
    It would properly take Apple 320 Million and a few more years to get there.

And I dont think HERE does great in China Mapping either.

China does not allow outside mapping services. You are required to license your data from one of the Chinese owned services.
  • Reply 14 of 66
    Actually Apple Maps is getting better all the time compared to Google in some of the remote locations across Asia & elsewhere.
    Google still has some roads off by 50m, also road/highway names are difficult since international you have Official Local & inter names plus
    "known by" as in India so it's difficult to find just by name.
    You look @ the Sat imagery to compare.

I have noticed though that the images on Apple Maps & Here share the same image data but Apple has higher Definition to HERE!
    Another thing is looking towards Apple bringing Web based Maps, well HERE already has a good design plus most remote places roads etc are mapped
    South America, Trinidad, Apple has too but not all or very little of roads marked or mapped out.
  • Reply 15 of 66
    Apple obviously has the money, probably makes it in a few weeks. The only reason I wouldn't want them to, is it seems overpriced and it could give Jokia some desperately needed capital and an avenue back in the game. On the other hand, this will give Apple a big benefit right away, when time is of the essence. And Nokia is in no position to upend Apple anymore anyways.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    Recently spent 21 days in Spain: Sevilla, Madrid, Marbella. I run out of time to buy the microSD with Spain maps for my Garmin. Then while in Spain I discovered HERE.
    Downloaded Madrid and the Andalusia region. Awesome. We shut off the GPS in the rental car, way too complicated. The HERE App in the iPhone 6 worked great! Back in USA, I downloaded the USA map.
    it will figure out routes in no time flat. Garmin sits there calculating, calculating ...
    The maps for HERE are from NAVTEQ, and so are the Garmin maps.
    Every time a I get into the car, Garmin GPS reminds me that i need to udate the maps. Really? at $89?
    I have on order a windshield mount for the iPhone 6. Good bye Garmin.
  • Reply 17 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

The story is that Nokia invested about 8.1 Billion on Here Maps. Even selling at 3.2 is a huge loss. That being said, there is no solid information that Apple is even considering this offer. The rumour is that Nokia wants to sell and is courting Apple, among others. 

As you and others here have rightly said, Apple has invested a lot into its mapping app and this would be pointless, unless they work out a deal for "rest of the world" where Apple Maps isn't that great.

• Reply 18 of 66
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member

Apple Maps is used all the time and it is good.

Do I use google maps the answer is no need because Apple's is just as good.

• Reply 19 of 66
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Maybe Apple just might want to do something to improve its sales in Europe... naw...

I somehow doubt Apple maps dissuades anyone from buying an iPhone, especially since Google Maps is also available as a FREE download. Should Apple keep improving its own maps? Of course. Does it have any kind of negative impact on sales? Doubt it. 

• Reply 20 of 66
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

Apple Maps is used all the time and it is good.

Do I use google maps the answer is no need because Apple's is just as good.

Apple Maps is excellent, in certain countries and downright crap in others. It's great that Apple Maps works for you, but for a large percentage of Apple's customers world wide (who likely pay more than you do for their phones) the experience is sub par.