If you could ask Steve Jobs one question...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Another thread (about Apple-branded merchandise: hats, shirts, keychains, etc.) triggered this thought for me:

If you could sit down across from Steve Jobs in his office and ask him ONE (only one!) question, what would it be.

It can be a multi-part question (keep it reasonable), but only regarding one topic/issue. You know what I mean.

It can be about anything regarding Apple and Macs (policies, future products, pricing, blunders, financial stuff, marketing...or lack of, etc.). And he would have to answer it with a serious, from-the-heart/non-canned answer.

Okay, here's mine (pretty simple, actually):

"Steve, how come you guys don't sell Apple-branded merchandise and souvenirs at both the Apple retail stores AND online at the Apple web store? You sell this stuff in Cupertino at the company store, right? Do you not know that you have one of the most loyal and passionate user/fan bases in all of the world? We would happily plunk down gobs of money for nice, AUTHORIZED Apple shirts, hats, mugs, keychains, calendars, datebooks, pens, apparel, etc. Doesn't have to be cheesy and overdone, I know you wouldn't want that. But do you not realize the revenue potential and the free advertising and goodwill? You're sitting on an untapped goldmine. Do you have an honest, legitimate reason as to why we can't go to our local Apple store and buy cool Apple stuff?"

There. Kinda long-winded, but you get the point.

Next...?

(Actually, I've always wanted to see a kick-ass calendar from Apple...especially these days, not so much in the beige era, but can you imagine a cool 12 month calendar, all glossy and 4-color, with beautifully lit "beauty shots" of their various hardware, one for each month? Next to the photo, little tidbits and cool facts/trivia about the particular product could be written...I'd LOVE to have a cool Apple calendar!!!)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    "What's up?"

[edit]

"Did you really sleep with that 16-year-old girl in the 80s?"

[ 06-21-2002: Message edited by: groverat ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 71
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    :eek: Did he? Huh?!?
  • Reply 3 of 71
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    "An interviewer once asked you what the biggest was that you ever made. You said it was something personal and not business related. What was that mistake?"

Steve isn't human enough for me. A question like that might make me feel like he's just a regular guy like me.
  • Reply 4 of 71
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    [quote]Did he? Huh?!?<hr></blockquote>

I read it in some book Eskimo gave me. Apparently his sister wrote a book and one of the characters did and that character was based on Steviekins. People in the know apparently insinuated that particular incident was based on Steve.
  • Reply 5 of 71
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Are you a virgin?

or how about:

What the hell were you thinking with the escaped killer look:

or what the hell was wrong with you and the bow ties and the comb overs in the 80s?

[ 06-21-2002: Message edited by: applenut ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 71
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>

I read it in some book Eskimo gave me. Apparently his sister wrote a book and one of the characters did and that character was based on Steviekins. People in the know apparently insinuated that particular incident was based on Steve.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The book you're talking about is

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0679772715/qid=1024677909/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_2/002-6149459-9460843"; target="_blank">A Regular Guy</a> by Mona Simpson.

According to another book <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0767904338/qid=1024677969/sr=2-1/002-6149459-9460843"; target="_blank">The 2nd Coming of Steve Jobs</a>, Steve was rather upset with her writing the story and they sort of had a falling out because of it.

A Regular Guy is a great book, even if its not about Steve its still a good read. There are a lot of other similarities between the character in the book and Steve. So I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.
  • Reply 7 of 71
    pscates, thanks for starting this topic, a very cool question! My question would be different though, my question would make Steve dig deep.

How do you feel about the fact that your old Apple could have been soley yours for all of these years? Do you realize that if you had not brought in John Sculley that you may have been the CEO since 1983? Do you realize that you may in fact be where Bill Gates is today if it had not been for one mistake? Do you realize that with the kind of person you are and the kind of people you surround yourself with and hire that you could still be the innovative company you are today? You would be the same company except with more money and no worries about market share. Well, how do you feel and what would you have done differently?

[ 06-21-2002: Message edited by: HurtCobain ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 71
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I'd ask him:

"How many black mock turtlenecks do you own?"

Then I'd say, " I have an idea. Why don't you launch your own line of turtlenecks with a simple small black on black Apple logo on the neck portion of the turtleneck.

Or it could be a monogrammed S.J. instead.

• Reply 9 of 71
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i'd ask, "would you mind if i steal that quad-proc'd g5 1000GHz machine you got hiding behind ur desk?"

then, b4 he could say no, i'd grab it and run out.
  • Reply 10 of 71
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I'd ask him:

Why can't people under 18 work at the Apple Stores if they know more than some of the idiots working there?
  • Reply 11 of 71
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Need another beta tester?
  • Reply 12 of 71
    Here's another one:

"How the heck do you keep that Reality Distortion Field working so long?"
  • Reply 13 of 71
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    "Have you heard of a guy named Paul Scates? You need to hire this guy."
  • Reply 14 of 71
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>"Have you heard of a guy named Paul Scates? You need to hire this guy."</strong><hr></blockquote>

Okay I'll bite. Who's Paul Scates?
  • Reply 15 of 71
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    paul scates

Sorry dude, thought everyone here knew that...

Oops, I don't THINK he'll mind me saying that... he did come and tell us about his Wired interview after all.

• Reply 16 of 71
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

<strong>

Okay I'll bite. Who's Paul Scates?</strong><hr></blockquote>

That would be pscates.
  • Reply 17 of 71
    Duh!!

I've always just known him as pscates.
  • Reply 18 of 71
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    "Why the f&%$# cant we have a 2nd drive bay?"

• Reply 19 of 71
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>Are you a virgin?</strong><hr></blockquote>Huh? :confused: I thought he had a daughter named Lisa.
  • Reply 20 of 71
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>Huh? :confused: I thought he had a daughter named Lisa.</strong><hr></blockquote>

bit of a joke based on the infamous story of him walking in on the interview for a potential employee and asking the prospect that