Final Cut creator Randy Ubillos leaves Apple after 20 years

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2015
Randy Ubillos, the creator of both Apple's Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premier, announced on Thursday that he is leaving Apple after more than two decades with the Mac maker.

Randy Ubillos demoing Final Cut Pro, via EOSHD.

Ubillos revealed his departure in a post to Twitter. The developer suggested he will not be taking another full-time job, as he said he's looking forward "to retirement and the adventures ahead."

His official title at Apple was chief architect of photo and video applications.

Ubillos started out at Adobe, where he worked on the first three versions of its Premier software. He later jumped ship to Macromedia where he helped to create KeyGrip, a pro video editing program based on Apple's QuickTime.

KeyGrip was later renamed Final Cut, though Macromedia could not release it due to licensing issues. Apple eventually purchased the Final Cut team and software outright, and saw its development through.

In addition to Final Cut, Ubillos was also responsible for the creation of both iMovie and Aperture during his time at Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Darn.
  • Reply 2 of 67
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    RIP Final Cut Pro.

And with it, Apple's Pro market altogether, as Apple becomes a fashion company (Jesus, never thought I would be saying that.. It hurts).

Time to start learning other editing applications.
  • Reply 3 of 67
    Darn.
    Well put...
    I hope the team has the creativity and imagination to continue the "out of the box" direction.
  • Reply 4 of 67
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I was a beta tester of Andy's video editing software when he was with Radius which had both hardware (Mac card based breakout box with component IO) and his Radius Edit software (not mentioned in the short bio above). He was always responsive and helpful and a really nice guy to correspond with. He is one of the giants in digital video's brief history.

I had two Radius Telecast systems back then plus the Macs, RAID drives, DLT back up. hardware companders and so on. It was considered a low budget set up as it was well under $100,000! Hence I get a kick out of FCPro X.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Radius+Demonstrates+Component+Digital+Video+Editing+System+For+PCI...-a018995304

http://www.mikecollins.plus.com/PUBLICATIONS/PDFS/Radius Telecast.pdf
  • Reply 5 of 67
    Final iCut? Is that a Freudian slip?
  • Reply 6 of 67
    tyler82 wrote: »
    RIP Final Cut Pro.

And with it, Apple's Pro market altogether, as Apple becomes a fashion company (Jesus, never thought I would be saying that.. It hurts).

Final Cut Pro X is pretty awesome. The sky isn't falling.
  • Reply 7 of 67
    Yeah. Big loss, IMO.

I wish they would retain Randy as a consultant or somesuch ... A whole lotta` talent and vision!
  • Reply 8 of 67

I doubt this will have much impact. FCP is pretty well flushed out now (compared to launch) and I think the team of people still working on it are going to be fine maintaining and updating it.

Apple didn't nosedive after Jobs left, so why should FCP (and related software) die because Ubillos leaves? I'm sure this was known well in advance and Apple took steps to ensure a smooth transition for the team (and whoever heads it up in the future).

• Reply 9 of 67
    I think Apple will be fine even though it looks like a big loss. Remember when Apple lost Steve Jobs and everyone said "Apple is doomed" I don't see that happen. I think we should be just fine with FCPX.

If you want to jump ship you can take a look at HitFilm Pro 3 http://hitfilm.com

Long Live Final Cut Pro.
  • Reply 10 of 67
    teno25teno25 Posts: 11member

Nah this isn't the end of Final Cut Pro at all. I can only imagine people saying this like this are not paying attention to the video market. 

Final Cut Pro X actually has a vibrant and outspoken development community. As well Apple is winning in the professional television market.

Apple's ProRes codec has at this point become the standard delivery codec for television around the world. Every major camera system supports Pro Res and every major post production work flow has to use Pro Res in some regard.

Mac's are the best systems for supporting and delivering Pro Res - Final Cut Pro X is the easiest editing system in which to use and deliver Pro Res. 

• Reply 11 of 67
    I doubt this will have much impact. FCP is pretty well flushed out now (compared to launch) and I think the team of people still working on it are going to be fine maintaining and updating it.

Apple didn't nosedive after Jobs left, so why should FCP (and related software) die because Ubillos leaves? I'm sure this was known well in advance and Apple took steps to ensure a smooth transition for the team (and whoever heads it up in the future).

Perhaps "Hair Force One" will take over? ????
  • Reply 12 of 67
    teno25teno25 Posts: 11member

The good thing about this is now Randy is out from under Apple and is able to speak publicly about FCP x and his ideas for how it improves video production. 

• Reply 13 of 67
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Enjoyed his work. I wonder who's going to become the heir apparent.
  • Reply 14 of 67
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    RIP Final Cut Pro.

He's retiring.
  • Reply 15 of 67
    hmurchison wrote: »
    Enjoyed his work. I wonder who's going to become the heir apparent.

wwdc.gif?w=704&h=490
  • Reply 16 of 67
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Darn.

A major chunk of the features once available only to "pros" and available only in "pro" applications, are now mostly accessible to the average consumer in outrageously easy and user-friendly implementations.

It's all about the rise of the Prosumer.
  • Reply 17 of 67
    davdav Posts: 115member

Final Cut Pro and iMovie to be replaced with new Movies app!

• Reply 18 of 67
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    RIP Final Cut Pro.

What is the basis for this ignorance? Somebody retiring doesn't mean a product goes away. It actually gives that product fresh opportunities as new minds take over.
    No it is time to stop with the ignorant knee jerk reactions to normal happenings at a corporation. People retire from work, some because they want too and some because they need too. Hell we just had a retirement at the palace I work and you know what business goes on and fresh minds make for improvements and modernizations.
  • Reply 19 of 67
    dav wrote: »
    Final Cut Pro and iMovie to be replaced with new Movies app!

LOL! I don't think so.

One issue I keep hearing about FCP X is that it is less suited to production teams than available alternatives and it's better designed for small productions with a single editor.

Any editors care to comment?
  • Reply 20 of 67
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    What many seem to mis here is that the guy is retiring, apparently after many years in business, the fact that FCPX is with Apple is what will secure it in the future. If he was running his own business we would have a much higher chance of seeing FCPX disappears or end up in the hands of idiot management. With Apple we at least know there is a management structure in place to guide whomever is the follow on leader of this group.
    Apple didn't nosedive after Jobs left, so why should FCP (and related software) die because Ubillos leaves?
    It won't and frankly I'm not sure how some of these comments even came about. Fact is Ubillos would have left soon anyways, either by retiring or by dying. This is the advantage of having your work presented to the public through a corporation, your work lives beyond you.
    I'm sure this was known well in advance and Apple took steps to ensure a smooth transition for the team (and whoever heads it up in the future).

I would imagine that the biggest problem Apple will have is choosing the best individual out of a large group of very qualified candidates. That if they limit themselves to internal sources, world wide there are thousands of potential leaders for this group.