Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro shipment estimates fluctuate, drop to 1-2 weeks ahead of WWDC

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited April 2015
Over the past month, the Online Apple Store has seen 15-inch MacBook Pro inventory slowly drop from "in stock" to a current shipping estimate of one to two weeks, suggesting a refresh is in the offing.

As of Wednesday, Apple's online storefront shows the largest MacBook Pro model with integrated Intel graphics as shipping in one business day, while availability of the step-up model with discrete Nvidia GPU is currently at one to two weeks.

The 15-inch MacBook Pro was noticeably passed over when nearly every MacBook model received modest refreshes last month. Both MacBook Air versions were updated with Intel's latest Broadwell processors and Thunderbolt 2 connectivity, while the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display also got a CPU boost, alongside Force Touch trackpads and other under-the-hood improvements last month.

At the time, production of performance-class Broadwell chips expected for inclusion in a refreshed 15-inch MacBook Pro was delayed.

In addition to Apple's own stock on hand, authorized resellers have also seen recent erratic shifts in supply, said a source familiar with the matter. Apple slowly drew down channel shipments during the March to April period, but just recently sent out a fresh batch, the person said.

One theory that could account for low supply of 15-inch models with discrete GPUs is a recent foundry shift by Nvidia, Apple's sole supplier of dedicated MacBook Pro graphics cards. However, Nvidia likely forecast a dip in output and adjusted accordingly.

With fluctuations in both direct sales and reseller channels, however, Apple could be clearing the way for a new model set to debut at the Worldwide Developers Conference in June. The laptop is expected to come with modest CPU speed enhancements, buffed SSD performance and Apple's new Force Touch trackpad.

Apple's 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display was last updated in July 2014 with Haswell CPUs and a doubling of standard RAM allotments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Awful early for WWDC. They could just as easily launch this on the website, it won't be a big refresh if it's just Broadwell and the new trackpad/storage.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

The headline says 2-3 weeks but the Apple Store says 1-2 weeks.

• Reply 3 of 19
    Remember when Steve Jobs had a drawing every hour to give away a high end Titanium PowerBook G4 during WWDC? Those were the days when only a few hard core developers stuck with Apple while Windows ruled the world, and the Mac was this little corner of the universe for creative pros, musicians, artists, comedy writers, and academics. Now it's all about the iPhone.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Remember when Steve Jobs had a drawing every hour to give away a high end Titanium PowerBook G4 during WWDC? Those were the days when only a few hard core developers stuck with Apple while Windows ruled the world, and the Mac was this little corner of the universe for creative pros, musicians, artists, comedy writers, and academics. Now it's all about the iPhone.

Yeah, but that narcissist gave himself the first one. ;)
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Awful early for WWDC. They could just as easily launch this on the website, it won't be a big refresh if it's just Broadwell and the new trackpad/storage.

It can be a hiccup on a vendor part, as they shift from a full inventory to 'just in time' supply chain ordering to right size the final 6 weeks of this SKU's inventory.

As for big refresh, It could be a other things.  We could see usb-c as well (and dropping mag-safe).   I'm quite curious how much the pro line will align with the macbook line.   

Maybe a 16"  (moving to a 12/14/16 mac line 8/10/12 iPad Line, and dropping the 11" MBA).

• Reply 6 of 19
    krawallkrawall Posts: 162member
    I feel it's too early as well.

Let's see:

http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/38530/Broadwell#@Mobile

No quad core listed at all, so the refresh can't be Broadwell and quad core. If they refresh with what's currently available, they can't refresh the high end model at all. It also doesn't indicate any quad core coming and it doesn't indicate any desktop chips coming either. What I gather from this list is that Intel has released all Broadwell chips it will ever release already. (Edit: And the released chips are not for the MBP15)

(Let's link the wikipedia page here but it's not updated it seems
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadwell_(microarchitecture))

Unless Apple has a special deal with Intel.

I'd say it's too early and hopefully they will skip Broadwell and go Skylake in fall inclusive (hoping for) the new keyboard and the new display from the Macbook.
  • Reply 7 of 19

I have owned 15" Macbooks for the last few years.  Great machines. That said, I would be very disappointed if there is not a MAJOR upgrade coming up for this machine.  It's the company's flagship model.  It should be a Skylake processors, perhaps new form factor, faster SSD performance, touch ID, etc.  What's more... Apple needs to implement that touch ID in a manner so that the user is not forced 

to constantly screw around with punching in passwords for every site after you've already validated with your finger. Enough 

of this politically correct time consuming password nonsense with your own computer!

• Reply 8 of 19
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

dropping mag-safe

Please no! It was a terrible idea with the Macbook. Don't give Apple any more bad ideas. They need to bring it back already.

• Reply 9 of 19
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    MacBook at 12" with 14" to follow?

Followed by 16" and 18" macbook pros with extremely small bezel? Would minimize the footprint to where even an 18" would barely be any larger than the current 15"
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkman View Post

Please no! It was a terrible idea with the Macbook. Don't give Apple any more bad ideas. They need to bring it back already.

Completely Agree!

• Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

MacBook at 12" with 14" to follow?

Followed by 16" and 18" macbook pros with extremely small bezel? Would minimize the footprint to where even an 18" would barely be any larger than the current 15"

Well I think if an update comes so quickly, it will only be an update like the MBP13inch. Means, same form factor. That's also why I was hoping the update would be later in the year... 

But, to comment on my on post from above, intel DID release more chips than indicated on their own pages so it's not impossible Apple gets hands on i7 broad wells for the 15er.

Which means: MBP15 update will be EXACTLY the same as MBP13 upgrade. Slight speed and battery bump and force touch. (We can still hope for a decent dGPU upgrade though!)

• Reply 12 of 19
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Krawall View Post

I feel it's too early as well.

Let's see:

http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/38530/Broadwell#@Mobile

No quad core listed at all, so the refresh can't be Broadwell and quad core. If they refresh with what's currently available, they can't refresh the high end model at all. It also doesn't indicate any quad core coming and it doesn't indicate any desktop chips coming either. What I gather from this list is that Intel has released all Broadwell chips it will ever release already. (Edit: And the released chips are not for the MBP15)

(Let's link the wikipedia page here but it's not updated it seems

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadwell_(microarchitecture))

Unless Apple has a special deal with Intel.

I'd say it's too early and hopefully they will skip Broadwell and go Skylake in fall inclusive (hoping for) the new keyboard and the new display from the Macbook.

There certainly will be Broadwell quad cores, and Apple doesn't necessarily have to wait until their details are included in Intel's price lists to announce. Apple won't be waiting for Skylake unless they are damned sure it will launch on time in the fall, unlike all other Intel chips which are delayed. Plus, they've likely done the Broadwell engineering, hell they've had plenty of time, so might as well use it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

A speed bump to just the 15" would be little more than a footnote at WWDC, so no need to announce there unless that's when the timing works out anyways. WWDC will have tons of great announcements for developers related to iOS 9, OS X 10.11, Maps transit, new Swift APIs, new WatchKit features, a new AppleTV with a devKit for HomeKit, etc. "Oh and the 15 incher is the same only faster" hardly fits with all that.

• Reply 13 of 19
    linkman wrote: »

iPod: no
    iPhone: no
    iPad: no
    MacBook Air: yes
    MacBook Pro: yes
    MacBook: no
    iMac: no
    Mac mini: no
    Mac Pro: no
    AppleTV: no
    AirPort Extreme: no
    Watch: yes
  • Reply 14 of 19
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I think they will release a 15" Macbook at the same time as updating the Macbook Pro 15", just like they did with the two 13".

And the 15" Macbook will have two USB-C ports

• Reply 15 of 19
    Apple would be smart to skip Broadwell for Skylake for the 15 inch model since it is their flagship laptop. Their top competitors are skipping Broadwell on their best laptops in order to release Windows 10 with Skylake in the fall. Releasing the 15 MacBook Pro with Skylake will allow Apple to introduce it with thunderbolt 3, usb-c, better performance and battery life, and connection to displays wirelessly (which means a new Thunderbolt Display).

For those who are worried about MagSafe and the keyboard I don't think they are going anywhere. Those were changed on the new MacBook only to make it as thin as possible. Apple doesn't care about the MacBook Pro being thin and light because its emphasis is power.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I'll be watching this one closely as I'm due to upgrade my 2009 MBP. I'm sort of a prosumer level person, so I'm not set on a major upgrade. Just want to get the most for my money. Moving away from the HDD and to SSD will be huge for me.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Possible silent update to 950M?
  • Reply 18 of 19

I can confirm that they will be releasing new 15" Macbook Pros soon.

I just had to replace my 17" with a new 15" - so of course they will have new models soon.

And they will probably be cheaper, faster, and more sexy than my new one. And they will probably give you a watch too. And a puppy.

;)

• Reply 19 of 19
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

The headline says 2-3 weeks but the Apple Store says 1-2 weeks.

Now that the headline has been changed to 1-2 weeks, the Apple Store reports 2-3 weeks. :D