Apple debuts three new ads showing Apple Watch use in everyday situations

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited August 2015
Commemorating the launch of the Apple Watch on Friday, Apple launched three new ads showcasing how the device can be useful in normal daily life situations.

The trio of ads are entitled "Us," "Up," and "Rise," and follow in the company's recent style of dramatic-but-normal situations in life, and how they can be changed by the presence of technology.

The focal point of Apple's recent ad campaigns has been to spotlight humanity rather than focusing on the product itself, and the latest ads for the Apple Watch follow this trend.

The first ad, "Us," showcases "all the ways you connect." In it, Apple shows the highs and lows of everyday people, from squabbles and goodbyes to greetings and reunions.

"Us" highlights specific features of the Apple Watch like the personalized "Digital Touch" messaging capabilities between users.

The second ad, "Up," is about "all the ways you move." People are shown doing various activities, from shooting pool to pushing a car to more traditional forms of exercise.

The "Up" advertisement showcases Maps integration, reminders to stand every hour, run tracking, guided workouts, and more.

Finally, the third TV spot, dubbed "Rise," features "all the ways you spend your time." From a morning alarm clock to customizable watch faces, it shows off some of the other features of the Apple Watch, including third-party app support.

Each ad comes in at one minute long and ends with the tagline "The Watch is Here."

Friday's launch of the Apple Watch has been heavily hyped by Apple, including recurring ads that have aired on TV since the company's "Spring Forward" March 9 event. It's estimated that Apple has spent more than $38 million on the television ads alone.

Given Apple's entrance onto the fashion and style space as well, the company has also run numerous print ads in various fashion magazines to spread awareness about the new wearable device.

Officially launching today, the Apple Watch is now on select customers' wrists, though many preorders won't ship for weeks or months. Orders direct from Apple are online-only, with no retail availability planned for the coming weeks until the company has an opportunity to catch up with demand.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    Wow, excellent ads! Very impactful, illustrative, understated and especially intriguing for those who wondered how they might use a Watch.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    jinspinjinspin Posts: 12member
    its funny that it says its HERE at end but its NOT here for most people. ha ha how ironic. waiting in June for mine.
    Good commercials though and shows how useful and ubiquitous apple watch will be. Naysayers can suck it and drool with envy with their ugly coke bottle android watches
  • Reply 3 of 53
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    These ads are each around 1 minute. I assume there will be shorter ones for TV?
  • Reply 4 of 53
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member

Maybe they'll help persuade my wife into letting me get one! I want the space black stainless with matching link bracelet.

• Reply 5 of 53
    I've said this before but the Apple video team is killing it. I like "Us" the most out of the recent 3.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    It seems someone at Apple has Peter Gabriel CDs on their iPhone. The next advert will be called So /S
  • Reply 7 of 53
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

First ad is about same-race relationships (but not same-sex relationships).

Second ad is about butts. 

Third ad is about the Apple Watch.

I know they're all about the Apple Watch. I just thought it's weird that the second ad shows so many butts (maybe because it is about "getting up"?) and the first ad so massively shows "happy relationships" that are same-race different-gender relationships, when Apple is so much about inclusion and gay rights etc...

• Reply 8 of 53
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Nicely done. But honestly, who's gonna wear an Apple Watch when playing rugby?
  • Reply 9 of 53
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jinspin View Post

its funny that it says its HERE at end but its NOT here for most people. ha ha how ironic. waiting in June for mine.

Good commercials though and shows how useful and ubiquitous apple watch will be. Naysayers can suck it and drool with envy with their ugly coke bottle android watches

I should have bought two, now I have one and not my partner. Who will I send heartbeats to? :)

Note: I know people who are very happy with their Moto360.  I'm very happy without, but you shouldn't assume that everyone will "drool with envy". Some people just have different tastes.

• Reply 10 of 53
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Very classy ads! Seem well focused to what I presume is Apples main target audiences. I'm sure there are many more niche audiences they could target in the future, eg... Doctors, nurses, Chefs, ... Users with hectic lives/ occupations.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Very nicely done ads. They show up some useful features, the most important I'd say are directions on the wrist, payments/unlocking doors and fitness tracking. Some of the other features, they did what Microsoft do, which is cut away before following up on the usage and padding the scenes with people just wearing the watch without using it at all.

When the person scribbled out 'hi', what is the response going to be? He can't just say 'hi' back and leave it at that. They need a messaging feature that doesn't need dictation. The Microsoft Band does this even with its wide shape:

[VIDEO]

This can be covered to an extent by 3rd party apps, maybe even Microsoft, so that people can quickly tap out quick texts back and forth.

Answering calls was another one where the person hit the answer button but then it cuts away. People will probably only do that to say 'I'll call you back, I'm busy' or something to that effect.

The standing up every hour thing is a bit odd. I can't see people doing that. You'd really have to do it for years to see the benefit and you'd never know the benefit:

http://lifehacker.com/5879536/how-sitting-all-day-is-damaging-your-body-and-how-you-can-counteract-it

"Sitting for over six hours a day for a decade or two can cut away about seven quality adjusted life years (the kind you want). It increases your risk of dying of heart disease by 64 percent and your overall risk of prostate or breast cancer increases 30 percent."

There would be no way to tell after 20 years that doing all that standing made you 30 percent less likely to get breast cancer and it would suck even more to get it after doing all that standing. Still if it frees up a seat on the train or bus, it has some upsides.

I guess they aren't going to have a sideways mode for an alarm either to allow the watch to sit on it's side and upright next to the bed. Maybe something for 3rd party apps again.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    Love the videos. The music sounded familiar but I couldn't place it so I had Siri guess. She tried 8 times and confidently guessed 8 different tunes! Say whut B?!? Most likely it's an Apple agency created tune but I really like it.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Nicely done. But honestly, who's gonna wear an Apple Watch when playing rugby?

Well, the "Sport" model, obviously.   

:D 

• Reply 14 of 53
    Nice ads. Will get people applying thoughts on Watch to their lives and how it could be helpful. A lot of good use cases here.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member
    danielsw wrote: »
    Maybe they'll help persuade my wife into letting me get one! I want the space black stainless with matching link bracelet.

Good luck with that, sincerely. I'm hoping my wife will let me get the 42mm stainless with sport band. If so, I'll ask for the Milanese loop for the holidays.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I like that a few of the shots portray people with the watch on their right arm. I always wore it on the right arm, and have been a bit worried about whether or not there'll be a "right arm" option in the system.

I don't know how these will be received by the wider audience.. But I think they talk to the emotional nerve within me. I sort of fall in love while watching these videos.. Especially the first and the last ones. Perhaps normal product people like humour, awesomeness and snazzy product animations.. But these are crafted for the emotional human race that we are, surrounded by life... I hope a lot of people are open to these feelings..
  • Reply 17 of 53
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member
    Nice ads. Funny, though, I rarely watch TV and only get to see Apple ads on AI.
  • Reply 18 of 53
    These were so awesome, I got teary eyed for the first and the last. Loving' it and can't wait!!
  • Reply 19 of 53
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

not again

Can you block a Global Moderator? Apparently not.

• Reply 20 of 53
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    carthusia wrote: »
    Good luck with that, sincerely. I'm hoping my wife will let me get the 42mm stainless with sport band. If so, I'll ask for the Milanese loop for the holidays.

Sorry, I have trouble understanding the concept of "I hope my wife will let me.."

Why would she dictate these personal decisions, especially if it's your money? If she wanted to get a watch, would she be fine with you saying "no, you can't"? I get it if it's a car or a house, as those are large purchases that affect both your lives, and there should be some discussion. But why is she allowed to "not let you" get a watch?