Apple Watch release brings debut of all-new folding UK power adapter

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
Apple has turned its penchant for slimness to the famously brick-like U.K. power plug, replacing its old fixed-pins model with an all-new version featuring folding pins and a more rounded design.

Image courtesy of Near app's Isaac Vigil

The new adapter, which ships in the box with the Apple Watch, has a slightly larger plastic casing but a much smaller overall profile when closed. Its three pins are mechanically connected together, all folding up or down at the same time.

British rugby legend Will Carling originally tipped the redesign last week, though its wider rollout was unconfirmed until Friday.

Consumers in the UK, Ireland, Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia can also purchase the adapter separately. It will work with any of Apple's iOS devices, iPods, or the Apple Watch, though it does command a significant premium over its non-articulated predecessor.

The previous fixed-pins model came with a ?15 ($23) price tag in Apple's British stores, for instance, while the new version comes in at a hefty ?25. For now, both models remain available for purchase.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Nice!
  • Reply 2 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Oh my those plugs ... what memories. If there is one thing I miss after 25 years living in the USA is getting a regular 240 volt shock ... LOL . As one of those guys that wired everything myself (but not always very well) I cannot count the number of times I got 'a belt' as my dad called it. That heart thumping feeling as you fly across the room swearing profusely. You just can't get the same rush from wimpy 110 volts here.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Apple engineering at its best. After playing with the one that came with my Apple Watch, I'll be buying an extra couple for travelling.

• Reply 4 of 30

Note that the plugs are perfectly spring-loaded as well, requiring very little effort to fold either way. It's a lovely piece of kit that will work much better in a bag than the usual claw.

• Reply 5 of 30

Also, looks like the Apple Watch Sport Edition comes with the 1m magnetic charging cable, while the Apple Watch (Steel) comes with the 2m cable. Can we confirm this?

Edit: I take it back. Looks like they are both 2m.

• Reply 6 of 30
    tonton wrote: »
    Also, looks like the Apple Watch Sport Edition comes with the 1m magnetic charging cable, while the Apple Watch (Steel) comes with the 2m cable. Can we confirm this?

I assume the gold one has a 3m cable? ;)
  • Reply 7 of 30
    richl wrote: »
    Apple engineering at its best. After playing with the one that came with my Apple Watch, I'll be buying an extra couple for travelling.

It looks very neat. Is that an Apple only design or are similar plugs about these days? I have to think it has possibilities as a fused plug for the UK far beyond its use as a charger for Apple gear.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Growing up in a Commonwealth country and having to deal with these, but now in the US, I had completely forgotten about what a monstrosity these things were/are.

I am not saying that the 110V stuff we get in the US is particularly aesthetic, but this plug has to be one of ugliest-as-sin consumer thingies ever created. Almost down there with marmite.

Add: No offense meant to the Brits, whom I admire greatly! :)
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It looks very neat. Is that an Apple only design or are similar plugs about these days? I have to think it has possibilities as a fused plug for the UK far beyond its use as a charger for Apple gear.

There's travel changers that do the same thing but nowhere near as nicely. 

• Reply 10 of 30
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    Growing up in a Commonwealth country and having to deal with these, but now in the US, I had completely forgotten about what a monstrosity these things were/are.

I am not saying that the 110V stuff we get in the US is particularly aesthetic, but this plug has to be one of ugliest-as-sin consumer thingies ever created. Almost down there with marmite.

Benjamin fruitcake would be proud
  • Reply 11 of 30

I agree on the plug ... but hey don't knock Marmite! I love it on hot buttered toast with a steaming hot cuppa. I just find it odd having to buy it in the 'ethnic section'. :D
  • Reply 12 of 30
    I agree on the plug ... but hey don't knock Marmite! I love it on hot buttered toast with a steaming hot cuppa. I just find it odd having to buy it in the 'ethnic section'. :D

In my local grocery store, it's in the 'Intenational' section (which, of course, carries mostly ethnic foods).
  • Reply 13 of 30
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    tonton wrote: »
    Note that the plugs are perfectly spring-loaded as well, requiring very little effort to fold either way. It's a lovely piece of kit that will work much better in a bag than the usual claw.
    Clever, but ultimately lipstick on a pig. The UK needs to outlaw these atrocious plugs and go with the European standard.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    That us a super design (I recall a quote from Steve Jobs bemoaning the UK plug design as it increased packaging size and made adapters unwieldy).

Technically, the UK plug is great- dedicated earth, childproof sockets (the longer earth pin opens plastic shields protecting the live/neutral), larger surface area for contact, unique socket size prevents insertion of round things (4mm banana plugs have caused a fatality in N Europe).

There isn't a (whole) European standard anyway, so perhaps the rest of the world should adopt this technological marvel!! :)
  • Reply 15 of 30
    In my local grocery store, it's in the 'Intenational' section (which, of course, carries mostly ethnic foods).

I much prefer that. I'd be proud to pick up my Marmite at the 'International' section. I don't know why but the 'Ethnic' section just doesn't have the same panache somehow.

:D
  • Reply 16 of 30
    proline wrote: »
    Clever, but ultimately lipstick on a pig. The UK needs to outlaw these atrocious plugs and go with the European standard.

But .. but cultural diversity! ;)

• Reply 17 of 30
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inotrope View Post

Technically, the UK plug is great- dedicated earth, childproof sockets (the longer earth pin opens plastic shields protecting the live/neutral), larger surface area for contact, unique socket size prevents insertion of round things (4mm banana plugs have caused a fatality in N Europe).

New US plugs are child resistant too. They just added a shutter that requires both blades to enter at the same time.

The British standard (BS1363) is hefty because they're cheap. To save on wiring costs, circuits are wired as a loop, so they can carry nearly twice as much current. Normal circuits are fused as high as 30 A, twice what the rest of the world uses, so the plug needs to be beefy to handle the fault current.

One BS1363 outlet can provide as much power as US dryer outlet, or 4 times a normal outlet, before blowing the fuse.

• Reply 18 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by proline View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonton View Post

At least they're strong and sturdy, unlike the US garbage plugs.

I don't think either country is likely to change any time soon, unfortunately.

And Hong Kong is more likely to change to the equally crap China Y-plug.

• Reply 19 of 30
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

New US plugs are child resistant too. They just added a shutter that requires both blades to enter at the same time.

The British standard (BS1363) is hefty because they're cheap. To save on wiring costs, circuits are wired as a loop, so they can carry nearly twice as much current. Normal circuits are fused as high as 30 A, twice what the rest of the world uses, so the plug needs to be beefy to handle the fault current.

One BS1363 outlet can provide as much power as US dryer outlet, or 4 times a normal outlet, before blowing the fuse.

We just installed all those sockets in our renovated house.  A bit harder to plug in but guess they will help with the little ones.

I liked the sockets in England when I lived there (once I got used to them).  Nice that they had insulation on the prongs to protect touching the metal until they disconnected from power.

• Reply 20 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

A relic of the post-war period when copper was scarce in Britain.