First look: Unboxing the stainless steel Apple Watch with milanese loop (video)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member

Questions for your early adopters that now have the hardware:

1. Can someone please remove their bands and see if the watch still functions? Sounds stupid, I know, but there is that little access port that Apple has been very coy about. I am curious if the bands have imbedded chips of some technology to deter third party bands. I don't expect this, but...

2. I'd be curious to know if the activity and workout apps appear on your iPhone when you pair with a watch, or if you have to go get them from the App Store. There's no sign of them on the iPhone App Store, so I'mm assuming you need to install them on iPhone through the watch somehow.

3. The new ad shows a 1 second shot of someone waking up to their Apple Watch alarm. I'm pondering using AW to replace my alarm clock, but there is *no way* i'm going to do anything other than slap at the thing. Can you silence an alarm with a force touch or similar? I suppose I can ask Siri to do it, but that's even more intrusive.

• Reply 22 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundkeman View Post

I realize that the packaging looks good, but frankly as much as Apple strives to be Green in manufacturing, I would like to see them be as Green in their packaging.  Unless that hefty plastic case doubles as a stand, most likely it will end up in the trash.  I would like to see them get rid of all the little plastic covers in which they wrap everything, they are simply not needed.

Heck, stop. I am willing to bet that Apple's packaging plastic is from recycled material. Plastic can, and should, be recycled.

Without plastics, you don't have a computer,  a phone, a car, an X-ray, a button, reading glasses..... want me to go on? Or, if you did, you'd be supplanting it with wood or metals, the environmental and energy consequences of which are even worse.

In fact, if plastic can be kept away from landfills -- I am saying this only half jokingly -- it's not a bad way to sequester carbon.

• Reply 23 of 80
    stephenroblesstephenrobles Posts: 91member, moderator, editor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So is the SS Watch packaging a different material than the Sport packaging? From photos they both look to be white plastic.

There's a felt lining in the Apple Watch (steel) packacking I don't believe is in the sport.

• Reply 24 of 80
    stephenroblesstephenrobles Posts: 91member, moderator, editor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesJpn View Post

This guy's poor kids are going to be looking at all of their baby videos in portrait mode when they are adults muttering under their breath what a nimrod dad was back in his youth.

This was a recording of the Periscope I did on the @appleinsider account. Why Periscope won't allow landscape mode, no idea. I assure you the rest of the Apple Watch videos today are in landscape, and in HD.

• Reply 25 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

All the plastic is needed so the items don't get scratched in transit

Scratched from what exactly.  They are not being shipped in the same case as sandpaper or diamonds.  The items are wrapped in plastic then sit on either another piece of plastic or paper.  The sapphire screens can potentially only be scratched by diamonds.

edited:  meant to reply

• Reply 26 of 80
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

There's a felt lining in the Apple Watch (steel) packacking I don't believe is in the sport.

Nope it's there.

12656-6747-150423-Apple_Watch-Delivered-l.jpg
  • Reply 27 of 80
    Could someone with a 42mm Milanese loop please kindly measure it from end to end for the max length it could be worn? Even if you have to slide it off the watch and lay it flat? I have already found that the Classic Buckle is longer than Apple said and I'm hoping the Milanese is the same. It'll be a while before I can get to store and check it.

Ps. In millimeters please.
  • Reply 28 of 80
    pujones1pujones1 Posts: 222member
    Love it. I think I'm going to purchase one and wait. Lol.
  • Reply 29 of 80
    sog35 wrote: »
    that should be a new feature for the iPhone 6S.

A lense that can film in landscape mode when you hold it in portrait mode.

Interesting idea. It could be done with a square CMOS chip. Most are landscape to mimic 35mm film frame.
  • Reply 30 of 80
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member

That combination is really nice looking. 

• Reply 31 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Bailey View Post

Could someone with a 42mm Milanese loop please kindly measure it from end to end for the max length it could be worn? Even if you have to slide it off the watch and lay it flat? I have already found that the Classic Buckle is longer than Apple said and I'm hoping the Milanese is the same. It'll be a while before I can get to store and check it.

Ps. In millimeters please.

See here: http://store.apple.com/us/watch/sizing-guide

It says that it'll fit 150mm - 200mm wrists.

• Reply 32 of 80
    See here: http://store.apple.com/us/watch/sizing-guide

It says that it'll fit 150mm - 200mm wrists.

Not what I'm after, thanks. "I have already found that the Classic Buckle is longer than Apple said." (In this document.)
  • Reply 33 of 80
    snailersnailer Posts: 51member
    Vertical videos suck. Unless you can't back up and your subject is the Eiffel Tower, turn it sideways!
  • Reply 34 of 80
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    It does seem like there is a lot of wasted space in the watch box. When the guy opened it up, the watch was off center. They could have made a charging stand like the Edition, but in plastic. I get that they needed a large enough box outer box for the charging cable, but the watch box itself would have had a nicer presentation if it would have been more securely mounted to the box.
  • Reply 35 of 80
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Just don't talk through the video, or get a quality mic.
  • Reply 36 of 80
    nick29nick29 Posts: 111member
    Cringe. Landscape please..
  • Reply 38 of 80
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

I do think the plastic box is not very eco-friendly, but I bet it is highly recyclable. Buyers should be able to place them in their recycle bins. Done. But again, all you need is a crushed box and/or Watch, it it'll be getting sent back or placed in a defective heap for reprocessing.

Nobody should dispose of the packaging. If you want to resell your device, or as I do, give away my old CE, it is much more desirable in its original package.

• Reply 39 of 80
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Even fucking Apple Insider staff can't manage to shoot a video in landscape? Wow.
  • Reply 40 of 80
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sunra View Post

Surprisingly sloppy unpacking. On top of that using vertical video format... sigh!

Yeah, very sloppy. If you're gonna do an unboxing video, why not put a shred of effort into it? Why rip open the platic box while holding it with your other hand on an angle in such a ridiculous hurry, so that you've already displaced the Watch out of its resting spot at first glance? Why not place the box on the table first, and open it while it's flat?