First look: Unboxing the stainless steel Apple Watch with milanese loop (video)

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Most unflattering unboxing! From the cheap plastic box, to the loose unsecured Watch rattling unmounted in the box, to cheap looking Milanese band shriveling like a magnetic pretzel, it looks like Apple shockingly failed to package this model up to its own high standards. I've seen watches by Swatch, Fossil, and Eddy Bauer with far more impressive product and package design that sell for $150-200. I knew I wasn't impressed by the design of the v1 Watch but am shocked by the chintzy packaging.
  • Reply 42 of 80
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's mid-range stainless steel Apple Watch not only has a more premium enclosure than the aluminum Sport version, but it also comes in different packaging, and features a steel magnetic charger rather than plastic.

Interesting then that the Edition does not come with a matching gold charger then. The pictures I have seen of the leather box/charger appear to be silver. For the money, that would have been a nice touch.

• Reply 43 of 80
    sunrasunra Posts: 3member
    Right-on Slurpy :)
  • Reply 44 of 80
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Most unflattering unboxing! From the cheap plastic box, to the loose unsecured Watch rattling unmounted in the box, to cheap looking Milanese band shriveling like a magnetic pretzel, it looks like Apple shockingly failed to package this model up to its own high standards. I've seen watches by Swatch, Fossil, and Eddy Bauer with far more impressive product and package design that sell for $150-200. I knew I wasn't impressed by the design of the v1 Watch but am shocked by the chintzy packaging.

Oh, shut up. The packaging is simple, classy, and elegant- and very Apple like. What the **** do you want, diamonds in the packaging or glitzy garbage? Also, the watch only popped out of its groove because he pulled apart the box at an angle- the same thing happens with iPhones/iPads. 

Stop pretending it's a coincidence that you just happen not to like the packaging. You, and all others like you, have decided they hate the Watch the moment it was unveiled, and so decided to continue bashing and hating everything about it. Your opinion about the packaging is not honest nor organic, it's simply the narrative you've already set and are following your Apple-Watch hating ideology. 

• Reply 45 of 80
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    mj web wrote: »

The watch does not rattle around inside the box, it is held by two lined grooves. The box itself is lined with felt and made from dense polycarbonate and feels really good.
  • Reply 46 of 80
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

The watch does not rattle around inside the box, it is held by two lined grooves. The box itself is lined with felt and made from dense polycarbonate and feels really good.

I'm not sure that's as secure as you think ... looking at the video, when he lifted the plastic lid straight off the bottom, he found the watch askew, out of the groove ... unless the top groove is significantly deeper and has a tighter grip on the watch so that it pulled up and out of the bottom groove, before dropping back down where it was revealed.

• Reply 47 of 80
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I love it when people make snide remarks and it shoots them in the ass

Doesn't change the fact that shooting that way is lame.

• Reply 48 of 80
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by glawster11 View Post

You don't really believe that do you? We all fawn about Apple, me included, but let's not go over the top about the box the bloody thing comes in. It's a box.

I have to admit, I was surprised by the size of the box when I opened the package.  I was shocked when I got the shipping info that said it was over 3lb, but the box explains that.  It's very thick plastic.  It's a decent approximation of the sort of box you would get with a premium watch, but at the same time, it feels cheaper than other watch boxes I've got.

Regardless, it's a box - it'll sit in the closet next to my other watch boxes and never get looked at again.

The watch has, so far, impressed me.  The setup process was slick, and the haptic feedback has genuinely shocked me with how good it is.  When I pressed the screen hard to change the watch face, it really felt like I'd pressed the face down, much as the click on the Apple trackpad.

The speed of the apps isn't bad, though at the same time every time you open an app there is a delay (while I presume it synchs with the phone), and while it isn't long, having got us used to clicking an app and "bang" it's up and running, it does feel slightly pedestrian.

I was delighted to find you can set an "offset" to the time.  I like to set my watches about 5 minutes fast (never late to meetings that way!) and assumed that wouldn't be possible with the Apple Watch, but it is - hooray!

One thing that isn't so good is how you get back to the watch face.  As far as I can make out it's three clicks on the digital crown, which seems like too many.  I'd rather the long press take you to the watch face and multi-clicks gets you to Siri.

For whoever asked, it works as normal with the strap removed.

Overall, it's an impressive piece of kit.  Functional, and looks good.  I can see it becoming my everyday "work" watch, but at the same time I can't see me ever wearing it out for an evening over my other watches.

• Reply 49 of 80
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    mac_128 wrote: »

I'm not sure that's as secure as you think ... looking at the video, when he lifted the plastic lid straight off the bottom, he found the watch askew, out of the groove ... unless the top groove is significantly deeper and has a tighter grip on the watch so that it pulled up and out of the bottom groove, before dropping back down where it was revealed.

Trust me, I have one and once it's in and closed it doesn't move at all.
  • Reply 50 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Trust me, I have one and once it's in and closed it doesn't move at all.

Verified. Mine just arrived and and it was setting in its slot when I opened the box.

• Reply 51 of 80
    chadmaticchadmatic Posts: 285member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Just don't talk through the video, or get a quality mic.

Oh please...

• Reply 52 of 80

You must have friends in high places. My 42mm with Milanese band is still processing.

Got my order in at 3:03 am.

• Reply 53 of 80
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Considering Cook's obsession with the environment and hiring Lisa Jackson to run environmental initiatives why would Apple not make eco-friendly packaging? Unless we're just assuming it's not? I don't know squat about materials...is no plastic eco-friendly?

It's usually recyclable. So "eco friendly" versus cutting down trees etc. to make paperboard for a cardboard box. Plus paper manufacture has historically been a pretty dirty process, lots of acidic waste etc. paper plants often really messed with river water quality.
  • Reply 54 of 80
    vvs1vvs1 Posts: 1member
    Vertical video syndrome :-(
  • Reply 55 of 80
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    I see all the butt hurt retorts about the unprofessional video appear to come from staff.
  • Reply 56 of 80
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I don't like it when people treat paper like that. You made a little fold on that paper two seconds after touching it. Some people are just unable to manipulate paper with care I believe, like turning pages on a book for example.
  • Reply 57 of 80
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Oh, shut up...You, and all other relentless anti-Apple watch trolls like you, have decided they hate the Watch the moment it was unveiled, and so decided to continue bashing and hating everything about it.

Let us know when you receive your watch so we can look forward to an honest and unbiased review.
  • Reply 58 of 80
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Oh, shut up. The packaging is simple, classy, and elegant- and very Apple like. What the **** do you want, diamonds in the packaging or glitzy garbage? Also, the watch only popped out of its groove because he pulled apart the box at an angle- the same thing happens with iPhones/iPads. 

Stop pretending it's a coincidence that you just happen not to like the packaging. You, and all other relentless anti-Apple watch trolls like you, have decided they hate the Watch the moment it was unveiled, and so decided to continue bashing and hating everything about it. Your opinion about the packaging is not honest nor organic, it's simply the narrative you've already set and are following your Apple-Watch hating ideology. 

Slurpy, that name suits you perfectly! Listen you blithering idiot... I've been long AAPL since before you were born and I've authored two best selling tech books. It is gushing fanboys  like yourself that give this site a bad name. Just because you're too blind to accept objective criticism doesn't give you any right to get hissy. If you don't like that, drop dead!

• Reply 59 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Slurpy, that name suits you perfectly! Listen you blithering idiot... I've been long AAPL since before you were born and I've authored two best selling tech books. It is gushing fanboys  like yourself that give this site a bad name. Just because you're too blind to accept objective criticism doesn't give you any right to get hissy. If you don't like that, drop dead!

Go ahead, show us how it's done.

• Reply 60 of 80
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Go ahead, show us how it's done.
    Seriously, someone shouldn't be called an idiot and a troll just for a bit of criticism. I don't think that's acceptable and it does lower the level of the discussion.