First look: The official AppleInsider app for Apple Watch

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited May 2015
Early adopters of the Apple Watch can receive alerts fir breaking Apple news and browse the latest headlines thanks to the official AppleInsider app, which includes support for the new wrist-worn device.

AppleInsider's new Apple Watch app gives readers an easy way to keep up with Apple news at a glance. You can choose to have important, breaking news notifications pushed directly to your wrist, or simply browse headlines and ledes at your own pace.

When you do find a story you want to dive into, Handoff support allows you to open the same article directly on your iPhone.

When a story is open on your Apple Watch, a Handoff icon for the official AppleInsider app will appear in the bottom left corner of your iPhone's lock screen. Simply swipe up to open the same story on your iPhone for an easier reading experience.

Set in Apple's new San Francisco typeface, the app blends seamlessly with Apple's own Watch apps. Navigation is equally fluid with the Watch's new digital crown or the touch-sensitive OLED display.

AppleInsider version 2.1 is available now as a free, 21-megabyte download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16

Nice job, AI!

I wonder whether Handoff will also allow viewing on an iPad or Mac. Should be quite easy to do via a Bluetooth or wifi connection and some software?

Wow, the possibilities....

• Reply 2 of 16
    stephenroblesstephenrobles Posts: 91member, moderator, editor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Nice job, AI!

I wonder whether Handoff will also allow viewing on an iPad or Mac. Should be quite easy to do via a Bluetooth or wifi connection and some software?

Wow, the possibilities....

Handoff for the Apple Watch does work to iPhone and iPad with the AppleInsider app.

• Reply 3 of 16
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

I can think of maybe 10 things that it is worth doing on a watch, reading a website is not 1 of them.

• Reply 4 of 16
    ciacia Posts: 253member
    Nice effort, but apps like this are going to ruin the watch experience. Everything shown in the video is so much better done on a phone or computer. Maybe just a notification that there is a new post on the site? Who honestly wants to read news articles on a screen that big?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

I can think of maybe 10 things that it is worth doing on a watch, reading a website is not 1 of them.

That's the point of the handoff feature. Open the story if you are interested, then go to the phone to hand it off and read it there.

If one is really into AI's stories that much, this would be very useful.

• Reply 6 of 16
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrboba1 View Post

That's the point of the handoff feature. Open the story if you are interested, then go to the phone to hand it off and read it there.

If one is really into AI's stories that much, this would be very useful.

The only benefit of Watch support for AI is the notifications, and even that is a stretch. There's no AI story that's so critical to your life that it can't wait to the next time you have your phone or PC out.

Frankly, even the phone app is pushing it- Apple's policy specifically forbids apps that are little more than a wrapper for a website (yes I know everyone does it). Furthermore, the app is likely not written natively in Xcode using Objective C / Swift- if it were AI would have had no trouble adding iPhone 6 support in less than six months. So it's not like its showcasing Apple technologies either. 

To sum up, I'm all for apps where there is a point to them, but for publishing text content you really should be focusing on making a decent web page (and forums!).

• Reply 7 of 16
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    I wonder if typos will also show up on the watch fir all to see? ;)
  • Reply 8 of 16
    "There's no AI story that's so critical to your life that it can't wait to the next time you have your phone or PC out."

Thus spake @proline, and they were all amazed at his teaching.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Love Apple, Love my iphone, Love my mac, love apple insider. But I just don't think this apple watch thing will really catch on. Still don't see a reason for a SmartWatch; my iphone can do it all better, quicker and easier.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Love Apple, Love my iphone, Love my mac, love apple insider. But I just don't think this apple watch thing will really catch on. Still don't see a reason for a SmartWatch; my iphone can do it all better, quicker and easier.
    Welcome to AppleInsider. It is too bad with all of the wonderful things that Apple does (and a few dumb things) that you chose a prediction that the ?Watch will not catch on as your first post. It has already caught on.

The ?Watch has already caught on. The fact that it has sold out and for two months to come is evidence of its success. The fact that it moved you to join this forum is also strong evidence of the success of the ?Watch.

I will give you this: Many newbies revive dead threads to comment on issues from the hazy past. Your first post is about the controversy with Apple's newest product.

Again, welcome to the forum.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Welcome to AppleInsider. It is too bad with all of the wonderful things that Apple does (and a few dumb things) that you chose a prediction that the ?Watch will not catch on as your first post. It has already caught on.

The ?Watch has already caught on. The fact that it has sold out and for two months to come is evidence of its success. The fact that it moved you to join this forum is also strong evidence of the success of the ?Watch.

I will give you this: Many newbies revive dead threads to comment on issues from the hazy past. Your first post is about the controversy with Apple's newest product.

Again, welcome to the forum.

I guess you totally ignored the point where I said I love apple, my iPhone, my mac and apple insider. lol.

I've been an apple fan since last year when I joined this site, just happened to be my first post.

But the main reason the apple watch sold out (and I'm sure you will agree on this) is because apple's supply and demand marketing strategy is mind boggling insane. I'd honestly have to see more from it to know if its worth at a minimum $350 to have a device that does half the things my iPhone does and looks cool on my wrist. 

hopefully you can see that point.

• Reply 12 of 16
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    Truly ridiculous. The iPhone is all I want and need. Of course as a shareholder I hope they sell a billion but I won't be a buyer
  • Reply 13 of 16
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    evilution wrote: »
    AI should probably try to make their iOS app usable before branching out into these broader areas of poor usability.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member

I guess you totally ignored the point where I said I love apple, my iPhone, my mac and apple insider. lol.

I've been an apple fan since last year when I joined this site, just happened to be my first post.
    But the main reason the apple watch sold out (and I'm sure you will agree on this) is because apple's supply and demand marketing strategy is mind boggling insane. I'd honestly have to see more from it to know if its worth at a minimum $350 to have a device that does half the things my iPhone does and looks cool on my wrist. 

hopefully you can see that point.
    You should have quit while you were ahead. Professions of love for Apple and its products that preface critical first posts more often than not mean that the professions are disingenuous.

Apple is company that employs human beings from the mailroom all the way up to Tim Cook. As human beings, these employees can be expected to make mistakes. Apple is also the richest corporation in the history of Earth. It did not rise to this lofty spot by engaging in "mind-boggling insane" marketing strategies. Certainly there is no evidence that Apple constrained supply to gin up demand. A company does not need to artificially inflate demand when customers queue-up around the block to buy its product. It is much more likely that Apple under estimated the demand for its new Watch.

We don't yet know which Watch models are selling, but there are hints that the naysayers will be surprised. Quite frankly, I was surprised to see how many votes the 42mm Space Black Stainless Steel Watch with Space Black Link Bracelet received in Apple fan forums like this one. This is the top-of-the-line stainless steel model. There are also hints that the Edition is selling much better than I expected.

The bottom line is that I completely disagree with you.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HelloWorld44 View Post

I think this is a natural reaction when so many people in the media don't know what the Watch is for. It isn't for annoying you with incessant notification which your phone handles much better anyways, nor is it for reading AI, and combining those two doesn't work either.

Where it might be superior to a phone is directions, especially while walking or biking, mobile payments, and activity tracking. Oh, and telling the time.

• Reply 16 of 16
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    This app is really bad at delivering even headlines. All I get is the word APPLEINSIDER at the top of the ?WATCH screen then nothing - just a blank black screen - even if headlines briefly appear first. Then blank black screen. Google News works much better.