Bring back iPhoto Now.!!!!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rubaiyat View Post

Beyond what has been pointed out above for iPhoto, a lot because I am an Aperture user.

Do you seriously want me to go through the enormous list of things I can't do in Photos that I can in Aperture?

Frankly I don't care. As I have pointed out at length it is just another dumbed down Apple app that has effectively trashed the one that I used to use.

The ball is in your court to demonstrate that it is an improvement as you claim. Good luck with that.

I see - so now your argument is that Photos is inferior to Aperture? I assume that you did read the title of the thread, and noticed that the discussion is about Photos being much worse than iPhoto? Or perhaps not. And, in response to your request, I did list a number of features that are improved in Photos relative to iPhoto. If you want a replacement for Aperture then you are looking at the wrong app, and in the wrong thread.

• Reply 22 of 39
    rubaiyatrubaiyat Posts: 277member

But that is the point. Photos has not only lost features that were in iPhoto but it is also is knocking off Aperture, which is the real professional option that Apple conned us into using.

• Reply 23 of 39
    Quote:

But that is the point. Photos has not only lost features that were in iPhoto but it is also is knocking off Aperture, which is the real professional option that Apple conned us into using.

But apparently you are unable to say what features it lost from iPhoto, an application that you don't use anyway. And now you are complaining that it is "knocking off" Aperture, whatever that is supposed to mean. Are you now offended that it has included more advanced editing tools than iPhoto, and is trying to fool you into thinking it will replace Aperture? I suggest that you either get to the point (any point will do), or stop digging, because you are making no sense at all.

• Reply 24 of 39
    rubaiyatrubaiyat Posts: 277member

My original post was to:

"When an app gets rebuilt they introduce it to ensure the basics are sound, and then add features back in the next few releases."

I pointed out with Aperture gone that was not going to happen.

Odd how you edited out the list of downgrades I quoted just from your own post!

Not there? Or you are just not going to look?

Where is the "increased functionality" you mention?

I've read your posts but can't find them.

• Reply 25 of 39
    Quote:

My original post was to:

"When an app gets rebuilt they introduce it to ensure the basics are sound, and then add features back in the next few releases."

I pointed out with Aperture gone that was not going to happen.

Odd how you edited out the list of downgrades I quoted just from your own post!

Not there? Or you are just not going to look?

Where is the "increased functionality" you mention?

I've read your posts but can't find them.

I listed some of the improvements in post #20 - did you read that post? And I did not edit out the list of downgrades that you quoted - you added them to your post after posting, and after I quoted it.

I really don't know what your problem is. iPhotos was a free application that has been replaced by another free application that does many things, especially photo editing, significantly better. It has, as I noted above, lost some organizational options. Not sure why, except for the unification of ratings with keywords, which I regard as an improvement. Others might not - matter of opinion. The loss of drag and drop is strange, and I have no doubt that it will be back. The loss of video import from iOS devices is annoying, but it should not have been part of iPhoto in the first place - iMovie should have that functionality.

Aperture is (was) a paid, semi-pro application. The increased editing capabilities of Photos may mean that some non-pro users of Aperture may now find that Photos is good enough, especially when 3rd party extensions become available. If not, then it's going to be one of the other paid applications such as Lightroom, DXO or similar. Not a fair, or reasonable comparison, and I cannot follow your logic in arguing that the demise of Aperture has any bearing on the future of Photos.

• Reply 26 of 39

To get back to where this all started, I agree with Dennis - Yes Bring Back iPhoto Now, I totally agree, if only to link it back to iTunes, so that I can put together and edit photo albums for my iPhone and iPads.  Unless I have missed it I cannot see the connections between ‘PHOTO’ and iTunes & iPad/iPhones as there was with iPhoto.  I inadvertently installed the 10.10.3 update together with the iOS 8.3 only to find that iPhoto has now been blocked out.  However the bigger issue with ‘PHOTO’ is that when you open it, it will scourer your mac for every digital photo that has ever entered it, and all WITH OUT WARNING whether you like it or not, then scan them all and load a folder with all those indicating  any form of face image, THEN recommend you place them in iCloud. If that was not bad enough it then lists each one with year/month/day/time/GPS location and a map with a pin in it, and I had never switched on the GPS for any of them.  If the NSA/CIA/FBI were putting together a SPY application, it would look exactly like ‘PHOTO’.  Have a back door key to iCloud and you have millions upon millions of face photos, with names/dates and GPS locations.  And these people have been spending billions of dollars on street cameras for just such face recognition photos. Now Apple has given them it for free.

I have no objection to Apple providing me with an application that I can then work with.  But I strongly object to an application that with out warning digs out ever photo that has ever been on my computer, all 3,855 dating back years,  (and I am not a photographer) all with out warning or asking permission.  I have now deleted iCloud and will forgo what ever that will mean.  I think that when the general public get wind of this outrageous intrusion into their privacy, they will start to drop Apple in their droves.  I came to Apple in 1990 and have updated and recommended it to others every other year until now, but after PHOTOS, no more.  With Steve Jobs Apple Computers were for the creative mind who WORKED on them - PCs were for the Gamers and those who wanted the latest toy to play with.  Unfortunately Apple is now a money machine, as it was for a short while when they kicked Steve Jobs out.  When he returned to save the sinking ship he put it back where it was and made innovative & useful products that worked.  Unfortunately he will not come back a second time, and the Apple we once loved is now going down the drain like all money spinners.  When the money have squeezed the last drop out, they will leave it to sink.

To get to my question, is there a connection between ‘PHOTO’ and the iPhone and iPad, where one can add and delete photos and albums on the latter, if not, I cannot  see it in iTunes, so where is it now???

• Reply 27 of 39

WARNING:  when I did the upgrade two days ago that included the new Photos, ALL of my thousands of photos were sent to TRASH and nothing was left in a library.

Apple lost my confidence on this one.   NEVER AGAIN.

• Reply 28 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dennisokeefe View Post

I'm a photographer...and whether you are a professional or amateur you use various tools. 

Apple, in force feeding the new "Pictures" app has stripped millions of people of a tool they use every day...and have force fed them a "scrapbook friendly" piece of junk... 

Apple has $1800 of my money, has taken away a vital tool I (& millions) need, and remains silent.. Yosemite is the beginning of making Apple a lot like PC's...which is a real shame for those of us in the arts who have always used Apple products...

If Apple does not reintroduce iPhoto to Yosemite and keep it for all future OS...

I will NEVER but another Apple product... You simply don't have the right to "innovate" great tools away without warning... Shame on you.

Dennis

I think you're being a bit too dramatic. I've been using the new Photos app (not called Pictures) since it was still in beta. It works great. I liked iPhoto a lot, but I have not seen anything that indicates that Photos is bad compared to iPhoto. Anyone who is really serious about photo editing would not be relying on iPhoto anyway. Why not use Adobe Lightroom instead? You would have far more tools than iPhoto provided. And Yosemite is hardly like Windows PCs. For one thing, it's not slow. It doesn't crash all the time, and it's not larded up with crapware and malware.

• Reply 29 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sjduesey View Post

To get back to where this all started, I agree with Dennis - Yes Bring Back iPhoto Now, I totally agree, if only to link it back to iTunes, so that I can put together and edit photo albums for my iPhone and iPads.  Unless I have missed it I cannot see the connections between ‘PHOTO’ and iTunes & iPad/iPhones as there was with iPhoto.  I inadvertently installed the 10.10.3 update together with the iOS 8.3 only to find that iPhoto has now been blocked out.  However the bigger issue with ‘PHOTO’ is that when you open it, it will scourer your mac for every digital photo that has ever entered it, and all WITH OUT WARNING whether you like it or not, then scan them all and load a folder with all those indicating  any form of face image, THEN recommend you place them in iCloud. If that was not bad enough it then lists each one with year/month/day/time/GPS location and a map with a pin in it, and I had never switched on the GPS for any of them.  If the NSA/CIA/FBI were putting together a SPY application, it would look exactly like ‘PHOTO’.  Have a back door key to iCloud and you have millions upon millions of face photos, with names/dates and GPS locations.  And these people have been spending billions of dollars on street cameras for just such face recognition photos. Now Apple has given them it for free.

I have no objection to Apple providing me with an application that I can then work with.  But I strongly object to an application that with out warning digs out ever photo that has ever been on my computer, all 3,855 dating back years,  (and I am not a photographer) all with out warning or asking permission.  I have now deleted iCloud and will forgo what ever that will mean.  I think that when the general public get wind of this outrageous intrusion into their privacy, they will start to drop Apple in their droves.  I came to Apple in 1990 and have updated and recommended it to others every other year until now, but after PHOTOS, no more.  With Steve Jobs Apple Computers were for the creative mind who WORKED on them - PCs were for the Gamers and those who wanted the latest toy to play with.  Unfortunately Apple is now a money machine, as it was for a short while when they kicked Steve Jobs out.  When he returned to save the sinking ship he put it back where it was and made innovative & useful products that worked.  Unfortunately he will not come back a second time, and the Apple we once loved is now going down the drain like all money spinners.  When the money have squeezed the last drop out, they will leave it to sink.

To get to my question, is there a connection between ‘PHOTO’ and the iPhone and iPad, where one can add and delete photos and albums on the latter, if not, I cannot  see it in iTunes, so where is it now???

I don't fully understand your privacy concern. Photos simply offers you the opportunity to store your photos on iCloud. It doesn't force you to, or even require you to opt out. And, even if you do use iCloud, it doesn't give anyone else access to them, unless you believe that iCloud, itself, is compromised. If that is the case then you are free to do as you have done – assuage your paranoia by avoiding iCloud altogether.

• Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sjduesey View Post

In terms of creating albums, if you create an album in Photos and it will appear on your iOS devices.

• Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rdmdmac View Post

WARNING:  when I did the upgrade two days ago that included the new Photos, ALL of my thousands of photos were sent to TRASH and nothing was left in a library.

Apple lost my confidence on this one.   NEVER AGAIN.

And you didn't bother to figure out why? So, when your Mac has a technical problem, Apple loses your confidence? This did not happen to me, and likely didn't happen to other people. Did you even bother to contact Apple about this?

• Reply 32 of 39
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

How about the ability to rate photos?  I hate how you only have the option to press that heart button.  Great.  That might be suitable for someone who uses Facebook.  I used to rate all of my photos and would then classify them using smart folders for easy export to thumb drives.  That's just impossible now.  Why they took away that feature baffles me.

How about being able to batch change names of photos?  I know those folks who only look at pics on their iDevices don't care about what a photo is named, but I do.  As it stands now, I have to click on each photo separately and name it.  That may not be infuriating if there's one or two photos taken of a specific event, but when there's even forty, and three separate events, it's really annoying.  

A new App, I'd think would come with new features.  Why is it that we've had the ability to shoot video on our iPhones now since the 3GS (maybe the 3G, I can't remember, it's been too long), and yet here we are in 2015 and do you think with our fast wifi we could get the photos app to import our video without plugging in the phones to the computer?  Nope.  Or here's a crazy idea, how about they automatically import it into iMovie because they are videos.  This is a Photos thread so I won't get into the issues I have with iMovie.  The point here, is that we don't have auto import and export of videos shot with our iPhones in 2015.  What is up with that oversight?  

How about being able to tell the Photos app to put the photos in Descending order rather than Ascending?  It's annoying to me that iPhoto had the ability to change this preference, and I could set it so that all of my new photos were at the top of the window rather than at the bottom.  For some odd reason, I think that older pictures ought to be below the newer ones.  That's how my mind works.  Photos took that feature away.

I fully understand that Photos is a 1.0 release.  I understand that the folks who worked on it did the best they could with the time they were given.  I also am aware that in some cases, Apple apps do get better as the version number increases (don't even get me started on the abomination that has become Pages).  Lately, though, I've seen Apple removing features rather than giving us additional functionality (and the whole pics in the cloud thing might be great for the Facebook crowd, but I was happy with Photo Stream, and still use it today.  Apple didn't impress me with the Photos App, and I still use iPhoto just for the reasons I mentioned above.  Photos has a long way to go before I make the switch.  If Pixelmator was better at photo management, I'd convert over to them and just be done with this issue.  As it stands now, I'm in limbo, with iPhoto no longer supported by Apple, and Photos not being a worthy replacement of iPhoto IMHO.  

It appears you have some preconceptions that run counter to reality. Video files are huge. There's just no getting around that basic fact. Plugging in your phone to transfer a video saves battery life and time.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Howie Isaacks View Post

And you didn't bother to figure out why? So, when your Mac has a technical problem, Apple loses your confidence? This did not happen to me, and likely didn't happen to other people. Did you even bother to contact Apple about this?

Apple now has millions of newbie iOS users, who think that computers run by magic and if something goes wrong, it's because the little elves in Cupertino forgot to offer a sacrifice or something.

• Reply 34 of 39

Actually, I did contact Apple Support.  I was informed that my MacBook Pro was 13 months old and, therefore, they would charge me $29.00 to speak or chat with support.  That would be putting good money after bad.  Now I will wipe the hard drive and install Windows 10.

• Reply 35 of 39
    It appears you have some preconceptions that run counter to reality. Video files are huge. There's just no getting around that basic fact. Plugging in your phone to transfer a video saves battery life and time.

I wish I could agree with you, but I simply can not. I have no issues with file size or streaming issues while streaming HD content from iTunes, Amazon Prime, or YouTube. If I can do that, I can also upload my video files (far shorter in duration than feature films) without an impact. Even if I had to compromise and have this function performed overnight while the phone is charging anyway, I'd accept it. There's no logical reason for this functionality omission.
  • Reply 36 of 39

My solution is in the last paragraph, I wrote the other paragraphs because I believe  the things I tried could work for others. 

Im not an Apple snob or have 500 hits - just a person who buys thousands of dollars of Apple products. Im just a mom who loved iPhoto because I could easily rate pictures, create albums and drag and drop between albums. I recently purchased the 2015 Macbook just to have more memory for all the kids Apple Photobooks.

My shiny new space gray Macbook came with iPhoto..... until I chose the "System Update." All of a sudden iPhoto had a cross out sign and "Photos" showed up in the dock. So, naturally, I reset the mac back to factory settings. This may work for you.  Well guess what, iPhoto was now completely gone! So frustrating. Then I tried a new idea from forums - I went to the App store and planned to pay any amount of money for  iPhoto.  iPhoto was not in the app store - as some of the gurus below stated, I should get used to it as Apple aint going back. Well, I tried had tried Pages and Appeture with the "get use to it" attitude so I didn't give up since Apple finally realized that those apps were subpar. BTW every time I type "iphoto" it self corrects to "iPhoto." Whatever.

I was this close to returning this new Macbook for another new Macbook just to get iPhoto back...and promised myself never, never, never update again. 

Then I tried one last theory... I went to my former application purchases. See photo below. It is where you purchased WWF and Kindle. And there I found that I had purchased iPhoto back in 2011! I then clicked install and wha la - iPhoto is back! Yay! Photo stream - something I hated, I welcomed back with open arms of unconditional love. 

• Reply 37 of 39

I'd imagine that Photos would replace it, but still only Aperture for OS X and iPhoto for iOS are explicitly mentioned.

Am also curious as to how Photos is distributed; whether it'll be an app on the app store or a stock app as part of a system update?

• Reply 38 of 39
    After all this time using Photos, I still loathe the drop of so many features iPhoto had. It certainly hasn't "grown on me" over time. Notice that they didn't say a word about Photos in the iOS 9 keynote. That leads me to believe that nothing significant will be improved with it. Photos is not what I loved about iPhoto, I don't care if it is faster. I'd rather have all of the features!
  • Reply 39 of 39
    jmaxjmax Posts: 1member

I agree with Dennis - losing iPhoto was very upsetting to me.    It was my go to photo tool and I was and am upset with Apple for this.      When I updated the "photos" app didn't even show up but my iPhoto library has now bombed and can't be read.     uuuuggggg