How to change and customize your Apple Watch clock face

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
Apple Watch comes with a number of watch face options -- from digital themes to analog lookalikes and beyond -- many of which can be further customized with sub-features called complications.

In the video below, AppleInsider shows you how to select and customize Apple Watch faces, as well as create your own using Apple's built-in presets.

The first step is to enter the clock app, which can be reached by pressing on the Digital Crown twice or tapping the app's icon on the home screen.

From there, press firmly on the watch face to bring up the watch face gallery. Tapping on the "Customize" button brings up a series of customization screens.

Depending on the face, you can change text and graphics color, add and remove visual features or change up complications by rotating the Digital Crown. Different options are separated into their own screen. In the example above, the ability to add and subtract numbers from the clock can be accessed from a first pane, while swiping right brings up color options.

Some faces support what Apple calls complications, or small sub-feature windows that display information from other apps like Calendar, World Time and Weather, among other assets. Swiping right on a compatible customization menu brings up a screen with preconfigured windows, each capable of displaying one complication.

Pressing the crown backs out of watch face customization mode and saves any changes.

To create a new watch face, swipe all the way to the right in the face selector menu and tap on "New." From here, you can mix and match modules, graphics and more to create your own unique style. These faces can be saved alongside Apple's presets for on-the-fly swapping.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Can you delete a custom watch face?
  • Reply 2 of 21
    The user guide says the stocks complication is available on the chronograph face but I can't find it anywhere. I think I was able to set it in the Apple Store though. Has anyone else seen this issue?
  • Reply 3 of 21
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cmoore View Post

The user guide says the stocks complication is available on the chronograph face but I can't find it anywhere. I think I was able to set it in the Apple Store though. Has anyone else seen this issue?

I'm not seeing it either. No space on that dial is large enough, as far as I can tell.

• Reply 4 of 21
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    swipe up to delete.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Has anyone been successful in scheduling one of those personal online watch set-up sessions that the email from Apple (to those who got their watches) promised? I've tried numerous times from all devices and keep getting an error message.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Anyone see how one can display 2 different time zones
  • Reply 7 of 21
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Anyone found a video where someone really takes time to show customization of watch faces? I could spend hours watching this.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    stephenroblesstephenrobles Posts: 91member, moderator, editor
    Yes, swipe up on it.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    yojimbo007 wrote: »
    Anyone see how one can display 2 different time zones
    On the Simple, Modular and other customizable faces, use the "World Clock." It goes off the locations set on your iPhone's world clock.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    clemynx wrote: »
    Anyone found a video where someone really takes time to show customization of watch faces? I could spend hours watching this.
    Could do a Periscope of something like that from @appleinsider account.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Has anyone been successful in scheduling one of those personal online watch set-up sessions that the email from Apple (to those who got their watches) promised? I've tried numerous times from all devices and keep getting an error message.

I have for monday.

• Reply 12 of 21
    On the Simple, Modular and other customizable faces, use the "World Clock." It goes off the locations set on your iPhone's world clock.
    Thanx .. The problem is mine does not give the world clock option!?
    But my wifes does...
    Strange !
  • Reply 13 of 21
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    The ?Watch Guide is available as a free download in the Bookstore - all 288 pages on my iPad.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    yojimbo007 wrote: »
    Thanx .. The problem is mine does not give the world clock option!?
    But my wifes does...
    Strange !
    Ok ..it worked .. Originally i had two cities cup and paris ..and world clock optoin would not show in face setup!
    But then i went to iphone and added one more city to the list of world clock.. Came back to applewatch and face settings and all world clock city options started showing up!
    I LOVE THIS THANG ;)!!!
  • Reply 15 of 21
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

The ?Watch Guide is available as a free download in the Bookstore - all 288 pages on my iPad.

Holy crap!  Seriously?!  288 pages.  Wow. :)

• Reply 16 of 21
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

Can BT and Wi-Fi be disabled without turning off the watch, to prevent obsequious tracking? How fast/difficult is it to do? I realize this would disable much of the watch's functionality, since it works wireless with an iPhone, but the personal tracking going on in stores is on the verge of becoming ridiculous. If all wireless can be disabled, what functionality remains?

In the iBook guide, I see Airplane Mode is accessible with a swipe.

• Reply 17 of 21

Anyone know how to display a photo of Scarlett Johansson and Christina Hendricks on the same screen?

• Reply 18 of 21
    Anyone know how to display a photo of Scarlett Johansson and Christina Hendricks on the same screen?
    Naked?
  • Reply 19 of 21
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Naked?

That would be likely to break the Universe in half.

• Reply 20 of 21

Am I the only one who REALLY WANTS skeuomorphic face options?