iPhone and Mac to shine in Apple's Q2 2015 earnings, analyst says

Comments

• Reply 81 of 128
    mstone wrote: »
    melgross wrote: »
     And when you look at the reality that Apple's phones are not subsidized at higher rates than comparable phones in the same markets, that takes away the rest of the argument.

Mel: I saw a TV commercial yesterday for Sprint giving away Galaxy S6 free and another one free every year thereafter. They've been doing BOGOs for years. A free phone dramatically reduces the the overall cost of ownership to the consumer.

Another thing that cuts the cost to consumers is a phone service that dishes out a lot of broken connections IF you are even able to establish a connection to begin with.One might as well be Amish.
  • Reply 82 of 128
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I just can't see that 3 out of 4 people plunked down $650-$950 in cash.

I know, it seems crazy and I still haven't seen where Tim said that but there is a lot of wealth in China and throughout the Pacific rim of Asia. I sell almost all our coffee to that region and they pay insanely high prices that the Americans and Europeans just won't pay.

• Reply 83 of 128
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I know, it seems crazy and I still haven't seen where Tim said that but there is a lot of wealth in China and throughout the Pacific rim of Asia. I sell almost all our coffee to that region and they pay insanely high prices that the Americans and Europeans just won't pay.
    After doing a bit of reading (prompted by Mel) it seems the vast majority of smartphones, not just iPhones, are sold unsubsidized. The US and Canada appear to be the only major markets where subsidies are expected and even here they're slowly coming to a halt.
  • Reply 84 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

After doing a bit of reading (prompted by Mel) it seems the vast majority of smartphones, not just iPhones, are sold unsubsidized. The US and Canada appear to be the only major markets where subsidies are expected and even here they're slowly coming to a halt.

I haven't done the research but with AT&T and Verizon I don't believe they give you any discounts for bringing your own phone. As we know, ALL iPhones continue to be handed down over and over until they break so they naturally migrate to carriers who do offer a discount if you own your phone outright.

In Panama none of the carriers offer subsidies so everyone is on pay as you go. As far as I know every one of my previous iPhones, going back to at least the 3G, are still in service there. Not sure about the original although it is possible.

• Reply 85 of 128
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

They're hardly "meaningless" numbers. It depends on what you're looking for? Looking at what leaves the assembly lines is an indication of a company's sales expectations. Apple is good at selling just about everything that's shipped and keeping enough in the channel to satisfy further demand. So if Apple ships 10 million iPads versus 16 million in the year ago quarter, it could mean one of two things: 1. They have enough left in the channel from the previous quarter or, 2. They don't expect to sell as many as the previous year.

Rather meaningless was my point, and I will stick by it. The entire purpose of compiling these estimates is to project earnings. No revenue is generated by production not sold.

• Reply 86 of 128
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    gatorguy wrote: »

What do you consider 'subsidized'?
  • Reply 87 of 128
    As we know, ALL iPhones continue to be handed down over and over until they break so they naturally migrate to carriers who do offer discounts.

They only break down only after being handed down many times over?
  • Reply 88 of 128
    Quote:

They only break down only after being handed down many times over?

Yep, a young student in Panama might have an original iPhone in her backpack. The guy who washes my cars in a very rural area of Panama has a 3G. I have yet to see any of our beloved local Indians with iPhones but that will probably be happening soon.

• Reply 89 of 128
    Yep, a young student in Panama might have an original iPhone in her backpack. The guy who washes my cars in rural Panama has a 3G.

First they ALL do not last that long no matter how well maintained. An original iPhone must have horrendous battery life if any, and no student is going to walk around with such an old phone because they'll get ridiculed. I'm hispanic and I know that the less fortunate are often teased.
  • Reply 90 of 128
    Quote:

First they ALL do not last that long no matter how well maintained. An original iPhone must have horrendous battery life if any, and no student is going to walk around with such an old phone because they'll get ridiculed. I'm hispanic and I know that the less fortunate are often teased.

You don't live in rural Panama, there is no ridicule EVER! (I could go on about this subject) The battery life is a variable based on the number of recharges as well as age so it is possible. I have witnessed the use of original iPhones as recent as two years ago and a 3G only a couple months ago.

• Reply 91 of 128
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You don't live in rural Panama, there is no ridicule EVER! (I could go on about this subject) The battery life is a variable based on the number of recharges as well as age so it is possible. I have witnessed the use of original iPhones as recent as two years ago and a 3G only a couple months ago.

I changed my 3GS battery 3 months ago ($30). By that time, battery lasted 8-12h doing nothing at all (depended on reception), 90 m browsing the web on Wifi, still usable if you carried a charger with you. Now, its back to its original battery, it is working fine. The 3GS is built like a tank, I'm still using it, could last 4 more years (that would make it 11 years old!). My Ipad is an Air 2 though, so I'm not all retro ;-).

• Reply 92 of 128
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Mel: I saw a TV commercial yesterday for Sprint giving away Galaxy S6 free and another one free every year thereafter. They've been doing BOGOs for years. A free phone dramatically reduces the the overall cost of ownership to the consumer.

It also means sales are low. You don't do that unless your desperate for sales.

• Reply 93 of 128
    foggyhill wrote: »
    It also means sales are low. You don't do that unless your desperate for sales.

Or desperate for subscribers. The same isn't true for the other carriers.
  • Reply 94 of 128
    Quote:

I have yet to see any of our beloved local Indians ....

Do you mean Native Americans?

• Reply 95 of 128

That's wrong as well.
  • Reply 96 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ngäbe_people

Sorry we call them indians as do they. We all know what we are referring to and even though they get drunk and fight and sleep around with incest, no one is judging them because they are our heritage along with the Spanish. We are a complex and confused ethnicity.

• Reply 97 of 128
    What "industry structural changes" are causing the iPad's rapid sales decline? I don't understand that. I thought the sales decline was due to a combination of a market flooded with much cheaper alternatives and the fact that iPad users are not uprgrading as frequently as expected.
  • Reply 98 of 128
    Quote:

sleep around with incest

Do you have any evidence to substantiate that highly offensive and racist comment?

• Reply 99 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I think most iPhones sold in the UK are sold subsidised on 2 year contracts. Otherwise the iPhone would simply be too expensive for most people. There is a substantial and growing market for smartphones sold off contract or on 1 month rolling contracts simply becuase many people don't want to be tied down for 2 years. I don't know what percentage of iPhones are sold that way but my guess is not very many given the high price of the iPhone unsubsidised. 

• Reply 100 of 128
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    If it's the same one I saw I think the offer was "nothing down" and get another new one every year afterwards. I think they might be trying to match some offer from ATT or Verizon where you pay by the month to do early upgrades or some such?