Embracing a wireless future: What it's like to use Apple's 12" MacBook as your main computer

16781012

Comments

  • Reply 181 of 222
    drwamdrwam Posts: 38member

    I think the MacBook is a really beautiful machine. It has to be see in person to appreciate the beauty and other virtues of its design. The lack of a second USB port is a mistake, but I would still recommend it for someone needing a highly portable machine with the screen working area of a 13 inch machine. 

    But I will not buy it because I think there is another coming along later this year. I think it will be a similar design with a 14 inch retina screen, weighing less than a 13 in Air. That would be the one to have, IMHO. I have no inside knowledge. That just seems to be a hole in the product line that is bound to be filled.

  • Reply 182 of 222
    For anyone considering buying the MacBook 12", there was, for me, one and only one, issue: the need to use Migration Assistant over wifi which is very slow and error prone, due to the unavailability of the three way USB-C adaptor (currently 4-6 weeks availability).

    I had to migrate ~450GB and the battery could not sustain the 11 hour ethernet migration (from an MBA with Thunderbolt/Ethernet > Ethernet/USB > USB/USB-C) and from what I could see one couldn't switch back and forth between wireless and wired, only wireless to wired. Wireless using an Activu Time Capsule took 30 hrs and Migration Assistant crashed with 'less than a minute' to go, first time. Evidently Apple stores will now (as of a directive 10 days ago) handle the migration for free and maybe they have a quicker method.

    That said, as someone who has had every generation of MBA though mid-2012 (then holding out for a Retina screen) the MB 12" is fabulous, starting with the wonderful screen and the size/weight (not just the MB itself but also the much smaller and lighter power supply).

    For me the keyboard is fine, the performance adequate, the lack of ports not, for me, an issue, though a second USB-C port would of course be advantageous. Not crazy about the SD camera but I assume it was a depth issue. On the other hand, the speakers are remarkably good, considering.

    All in all a great product for my needs compared with my last MBA: for general business and personal use, light photo editing. Your needs may differ!
  • Reply 183 of 222
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

    Wouldn't it have been a rather good idea if Apple had put a USB 3 port on the power adapter, rather than squeeze another $19 out of people who had already forked over $1300?  About 90% of the issues would never arise then.

  • Reply 184 of 222
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rotateleftbyte View Post

     

    Not use a camera phone?

    Sure. Actually, I hardly ever use the camera on my phone.

    As a semi-pro Wildlife and Landscape Photographer using a camera phone for any serious work is just out of the question.

    There is more to photography than taking 'selfies' you know.




    if you were even a prosumer (semi-pro sounds derisive to me) you would know 4 things (and any one of the 4 pretty much brings your tenuous chain of logic to the ground) :

     

    1 the Cameras inside the iPhones are surprisingly good and there are many (surprisingly quality lenses, including anamorphic) available. They are hardly "selfie" cameras, even by pro standards.

    2 many (most?) modern cameras  (pro and prosumer) have wifi transfer built in (you don't even need the wifi card anymore)

    3 there are wifi cards available

    4 no pro is going to select an entry level laptop and think it is equivalent (to the pro models)

  • Reply 185 of 222
    bkkcanuckbkkcanuck Posts: 862member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

     

    Wouldn't it have been a rather good idea if Apple had put a USB 3 port on the power adapter, rather than squeeze another $19 out of people who had already forked over $1300?  About 90% of the issues would never arise then.


     

    Then you would have people complaining of multiple long wires being tripped over.....  

     

    The USB-C connector was designed (by the committee) with the thought that you would drop your laptop on your desk, plug the laptop into your monitor that would power the laptop and display.  Your monitor then acts as your USB hub.  Until the monitors catch up you can buy a "dock" which gives you more ports than you will ever need.  

     

    This laptop really is the iPad of the Macintosh line where it is actually designed to be a portable device that is used more on the road than at desks.  It is not meant as a transportable (i.e. full fledge desktop computer that you mostly use at a desk [or two]).

  • Reply 186 of 222
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

    Here is goes:   when you give a cookie to a mouse. The mouse asks for a glass of milk...

  • Reply 187 of 222
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,263member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Relic View Post





    Works for me, still needs built in Miracast or WiDi though, Airplay is fine for audio but I still can't find a TV or monitor that has it built in. All of my TV's though have Miracast and work fantastically, I did find a small dongle called the EZcast that has Airplay and can be used to display both the iPad and Macbook but it's performance is no where near that of a device that has built in Miracast or WiDi and it's still a third party device.



    I cannot comment about Miracast, however I've been forced to use and setup WiDi on occasion for PC users, and it's utter garbage. Only a PC user would try and push that into the discussion as a viable alternative to AirPlay, which blows it out of the water for reliability and performance.

  • Reply 188 of 222
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by IndyFX View Post

     



    if you were even a prosumer (semi-pro sounds derisive to me) you would know 4 things (and any one of the 4 pretty much brings your tenuous chain of logic to the ground) :

     

    1 the Cameras inside the iPhones are surprisingly good and there are many (surprisingly quality lenses, including anamorphic) available. They are hardly "selfie" cameras, even by pro standards.

    2 many (most?) modern cameras  (pro and prosumer) have wifi transfer built in (you don't even need the wifi card anymore)

    3 there are wifi cards available

    4 no pro is going to select an entry level laptop and think it is equivalent (to the pro models)


     

    Many pros are using field equipment which often includes as portable as possible laptops.  The new MacBook would be perfect due to its screen, but the lack of an additional port is a deal breaker.  The MacBook Air would be perfect, but lacks a Retina display.  This is the valid criticism.

     

    WiFi cards don't work well in pro-use of cameras... they're too slow (write speeds), too unreliable (as compared to CF), and transfer is far too slow (compared to USB).  Likewise the wireless built-in to cameras have the same issues.  Not that it isn't done, there are times where this is the preferred method, but again, having a field laptop means having something that can adapt to any situation, and the lack of the additional port can be a problem.

     

    Also, the DSLR versus iPhone debate is rather silly.  The comment your responding to was countering a comment that was a response to the author of the article needlessly using a dedicated camera when they could've used an iPhone.  The iPhone can be a very useful tool as a photographer, they aren't just for selfies, but they lack many things that a pro(sumer) would take advantage of in a DSLR to get better shots.

  • Reply 189 of 222
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by IndyFX View Post

     

     

    1 the Cameras inside the iPhones are surprisingly good and there are many (surprisingly quality lenses, including anamorphic) available. They are hardly "selfie" cameras, even by pro standards.


     

     

  • Reply 190 of 222
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 5,990member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

     

    What a wasted article with an equally wasted thread.

     

    Too many trolls here..... (Perhaps that's the kind of click-bait that AI editors are looking for. Sigh).




    That's EXACTLY the kind of web-clicks folks at AI are after now.  Informative forum boards at AI got flushed down the toilet long ago the day the mods decided web-traffic was more important.  One mod in particular really seems to enjoy kissing-up to some well-known trolls.

  • Reply 191 of 222
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 17,895member
    I have to echo the other comments here. The review is really off-base. An Apple-centric publication taking issue with a new accessory interface? Complaining about not owning a USB-C adapter? Your article is called "What it's like to use 12" MB as your main computer." Let me get this straight...you tried to use a computer this way, knowing full well it has a new connector...and you didn't buy an adapter? Anyone who used it us a main computer would buy an adapter. Come on.
  • Reply 192 of 222
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post



    I have to echo the other comments here. The review is really off-base. An Apple-centric publication taking issue with a new accessory interface? Complaining about not owning a USB-C adapter? Your article is called "What it's like to use 12" MB as your main computer." Let me get this straight...you tried to use a computer this way, knowing full well it has a new connector...and you didn't buy an adapter? Anyone who used it us a main computer would buy an adapter. Come on.

     

    Shipping time on the USB dongle is 1-3 days.  It might have been even worse when the review was being done such that an adapter could not be sourced in time.  If the reviewer had borrowed a unit to review, rather than purchased one, he might not want to purchase an adapter he would have no use for after the review.
  • Reply 193 of 222
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post



    I have to echo the other comments here. The review is really off-base. An Apple-centric publication taking issue with a new accessory interface? Complaining about not owning a USB-C adapter? Your article is called "What it's like to use 12" MB as your main computer." Let me get this straight...you tried to use a computer this way, knowing full well it has a new connector...and you didn't buy an adapter? Anyone who used it us a main computer would buy an adapter. Come on.

     

    Shipping time on the USB dongle is 1-3 days.  It might have been even worse when the review was being done such that an adapter could not be sourced in time.  If the reviewer had borrowed a unit to review, rather than purchased one, he might not want to purchase an adapter he would have no use for after the review.

     

    Either way then - hardly a representative "real life" review, since most users will likely be buying the device, not borrowing it.
  • Reply 194 of 222
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member



    Mmmm... I use a 5D with an eye-fi card without any issues (and I believe the 6D has wifi built in, as do the A7's and most other newer high end DSLR's) Not as fast as Thunderbolt or even USB3 true (sort of self evident, yes?) but reasonable as compared to USB2. And usable? Hell yes.

     

    I never said the iPhone 6's camera was the equal of a digital SLR, I only debunked his notion that an iPhone was usable only as a "selfie cam", quit straw-man(ing). ((for professional ENG the 6 is likely a 90% solution)

     

    Your other argument is nonsensical in that you want a cheap, fast, uber-thin macbook with all the belles and whistles (& retina screen)

    Yeah, everybody wants that. However one needs to decide if the larger faster heavier (more expensive) MBP is necessary for you, if it is then you have the answer. 

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MrEdofCourse View Post

     

     

    Many pros are using field equipment which often includes as portable as possible laptops.  The new MacBook would be perfect due to its screen, but the lack of an additional port is a deal breaker.  The MacBook Air would be perfect, but lacks a Retina display.  This is the valid criticism.

     

    WiFi cards don't work well in pro-use of cameras... they're too slow (write speeds), too unreliable (as compared to CF), and transfer is far too slow (compared to USB).  Likewise the wireless built-in to cameras have the same issues.  Not that it isn't done, there are times where this is the preferred method, but again, having a field laptop means having something that can adapt to any situation, and the lack of the additional port can be a problem.

     

    Also, the DSLR versus iPhone debate is rather silly.  The comment your responding to was countering a comment that was a response to the author of the article needlessly using a dedicated camera when they could've used an iPhone.  The iPhone can be a very useful tool as a photographer, they aren't just for selfies, but they lack many things that a pro(sumer) would take advantage of in a DSLR to get better shots.


  • Reply 195 of 222
    bkkcanuckbkkcanuck Posts: 862member
    I believe a retina screen with more accurate colour would be much much more important to a professional photographer than having to (gasp) worry about carrying the right cable.  A professional photographer is carrying around a bag with cameras, lenses (all heavy) and a laptop and somehow a cable is a big issue....   
  • Reply 196 of 222
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by IndyFX View Post

     



    Mmmm... I use a 5D with an eye-fi card without any issues (and I believe the 6D has wifi built in, as do the A7's and most other newer high end DSLR's) Not as fast as Thunderbolt or even USB3 true (sort of self evident, yes?) but reasonable as compared to USB2. And usable? Hell yes.


     

    Just because you don't have the need for fast write speeds on a more reliable storage medium than SD doesn't mean that other pros don't.  The fact is, most pros are using CF, not SD, and very few are using Eye-Fi.  I posted one of the first reviews of a SD/CF adapter that worked with the Eye-Fi and use Eye-Fi in my 7D and 5D from time to time, but it's not CF and when speed matters, the Eye-Fi doesn't cut it.  Why do you think faster cards exist?

     

    Quote:


    I never said the iPhone 6's camera was the equal of a digital SLR, I only debunked his notion that an iPhone was usable only as a "selfie cam", quit straw-man(ing). ((for professional ENG the 6 is likely a 90% solution)


     

    My whole point was for both sides to stop with the iPhone versus DSLR stupidity.  His "selfie" comment was hyperbole in response to someone not getting that a pro would want to use something other than an iPhone.

     

    Quote:


     

    Your other argument is nonsensical in that you want a cheap, fast, uber-thin macbook with all the belles and whistles (& retina screen)

    Yeah, everybody wants that. However one needs to decide if the larger faster heavier (more expensive) MBP is necessary for you, if it is then you have the answer. 



     

    No, I'm saying the new MacBook would be the perfect device, especially for field work for photography except for the fact that it only has one USB-C port.  It's not nonsensical, it's as straightforward as can possibly be.  If it had another port on it, there's literally no need that I couldn't easily do with it in the field.  Many of us are saying this.  Nobody is talking about bells and whistles, just the same 2015 MacBook that is otherwise perfect as is, just missing a port, which is a deal breaker for many of us.

     

    And unfortunately, the only Mac that Apple offers with multiple ports and Retina is the MBP, which is significantly larger and heavier, and overkill for a lot of field work.

  • Reply 197 of 222
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bkkcanuck View Post

    I believe a retina screen with more accurate colour would be much much more important to a professional photographer than having to (gasp) worry about carrying the right cable.  A professional photographer is carrying around a bag with cameras, lenses (all heavy) and a laptop and somehow a cable is a big issue....  

     

    It is, which is why we would otherwise want the new MacBook.  The unfortunate reality is that often we're doing things like needing to hook up to HDMI, run a set of backups on multiple disks, or even connect via Ethernet because that's all the hotel room has for us.  It's all about speed, reliability, portability and ability to adapt to any given situation.  The new MacBook has everything many of us need for this type of chaotic on-the-go production lifestyle and can even be fit in an airplane seatback, but the lack of the additional port is a deal breaker.  The MacBook Air has all of this that we need, except no Retina display and no USB-C (plus an inferior trackpad and keyboard).

  • Reply 198 of 222
    bkkcanuckbkkcanuck Posts: 862member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

     

     

    It is, which is why we would otherwise want the new MacBook.  The unfortunate reality is that often we're doing things like needing to hook up to HDMI, run a set of backups on multiple disks, or even connect via Ethernet because that's all the hotel room has for us.  It's all about speed, reliability, portability and ability to adapt to any given situation.  The new MacBook has everything many of us need for this type of chaotic on-the-go production lifestyle and can even be fit in an airplane seatback, but the lack of the additional port is a deal breaker.  The MacBook Air has all of this that we need, except no Retina display and no USB-C (plus an inferior trackpad and keyboard).


     

    How many lenses do you have to adapt your camera to the situation?  How heavy is your camera bag with all the necessary components?  

  • Reply 199 of 222
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    magman1979 wrote: »

    I cannot comment about Miracast, however I've been forced to use and setup WiDi on occasion for PC users, and it's utter garbage. Only a PC user would try and push that into the discussion as a viable alternative to AirPlay, which blows it out of the water for reliability and performance.

    I actually don't know anything about Widi as I use Miracast, which has the exact same performance as Airplay and is found in many devises negating the need for an Apple TV or third party dongle. I only mentioned WiDi because it's built into a lot of TVs. My point was I wish Apple would just support technology that has been adopted by the main stream. Yes I use a PC but also a Sun Sparc workstation, SGI Tezro, MacPro, MacBook, etc. so what's your point. I'm a computer enthusiasts and will never just use a single platform. There is no such thing as the perfect computer anyway and nor do I have any silly allegiance to a mult-billion dollar corporation that cares as much about me as a New Yorker about rats. I own Apple products because they fit a need, not because it makes me feel special or gives me the illusion that because I use a device from them I am better in anyway. Apple is the number one computer manufacture in the world, everyone owns one, if anything not using an Apple product makes you more of a unique person nowadays and no I'm NOT saying their bad in anyway, just that your not special for using one and calling someone out for using a different platform is just plain dumb, I mean who cares.

    Edit: I just tried WiDi using using my ThinkPad Yoga 12.5 and the Samsung TV downstairs which has it built in, worked flawlessly with none of the performance issues your trying to convey. You had to be using an older version, slow hardware, slow router, cheap dangle etc. Because I'm not seeing what you did. It's just as fast as Airplay as far as I can see without the need for any additional hardware.
  • Reply 200 of 222
    bkkcanuckbkkcanuck Posts: 862member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

     

     

    It is, which is why we would otherwise want the new MacBook.  The unfortunate reality is that often we're doing things like needing to hook up to HDMI, run a set of backups on multiple disks, or even connect via Ethernet because that's all the hotel room has for us.  It's all about speed, reliability, portability and ability to adapt to any given situation.  The new MacBook has everything many of us need for this type of chaotic on-the-go production lifestyle and can even be fit in an airplane seatback, but the lack of the additional port is a deal breaker.  The MacBook Air has all of this that we need, except no Retina display and no USB-C (plus an inferior trackpad and keyboard).


     

    Additionally, 

     

    What is the HDMI cable for (i.e. extra cable, but not an SD dongle reader?)?  ... to connect up the hotel TV which probably does not render colours very accurately?  

     

    Been in many hotel rooms these days, and more often than not they don't have ethernet plugs - only wireless (the effect of iDevices on the hospitality industry).  [before it was the opposite]

     

Sign In or Register to comment.