Data suggests just 376,000 Apple Watch preorders delivered over launch weekend

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
Only about 22 percent -- or 376,000 -- of U.S. Apple Watch preorders actually shipped between Friday and Sunday during the device's launch weekend, according to estimates produced by research firm Slice Intelligence.

Slice's data comes from analyzing the electronic receipts of some 2 million participating shoppers. In all the firm projects that 1.7 million Apple Watches have been ordered in the U.S. so far, based on recording 10,744 Watch transactions.

Within the projected figure, 547,000 Watches are expected to ship between today and June 11. Dates have allegedly yet to be issued for another 639,000 units. The next large batches should be delivered on May 27 and 28, with potentially over 430,000 arriving on the 27th alone.

Approximately 33 percent of orders are due to ship in April, followed by 28 percent in May, and 1 percent in June. Those figures could change drastically however, given the remaining 38 percent of orders with uncertain delivery windows.

In fact, some buyers have indicated that their delivery dates are being moved up, MacRumors reported on Monday. A few people with June dates have been given updated targets between May 14 and 20, or May 28 and June 10.

Shipping times appear to linked closely to the Watch models involved. Steel models with link bracelets or space black coatings for example appear to be facing four- to six-week delays, pushing them into late May at the earliest.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    If my math is correct.. thats no where near the 3 million sold that many are projecting.. umm.. who's correct?
  • Reply 2 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I just want to know what idiots are allowing this company to analyze their receipts.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I ordered one but then later decided I didn't want it after playing around with it at the store a couple different times. It is nice but I just don't think I would use it for anything. My life is so routine these days, I don't have any issues keeping it organized. My schedule is my own. I rarely need to be anywhere at a precise time.

• Reply 4 of 52

I have to give Slice credit for having the guts to make this call only hours before Apple might announce the actual number that shipped over the weekend. They could lose all credibility or be revealed to be a terrific research firm in about 2 hours....

• Reply 5 of 52
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Here's a data point: This morning, my order status changed from "June" to 3-5 weeks for a 38mm grey/black sport, and 4-6 weeks for a 42mm grey/black sport. The 42mm ordered 4/10 about 8 hours after orders opened; the 38mm 4/11 about 36 hours in.

Seems the mentioned "different models shipping at different rates" applies here. 38mm ordered slightly later, but will be shipped slightly sooner.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Interdyne View Post

I have to give Slice credit for having the guts to make this call only hours before Apple might announce the actual number that shipped over the weekend. They could lose all credibility or be revealed to be a terrific research firm in about 2 hours....

What makes you think Apple will announce any numbers for ?Watch?

• Reply 7 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What makes you think Apple will announce any numbers for ?Watch?

"Apple might announce" "They could lose..." I think my post was clear that I am not sure but that they might.

• Reply 8 of 52
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I just want to know what idiots are allowing this company to analyze their receipts.

Check out their app... https://www.slice.com/

It's kind of backdoor analysis.

• Reply 9 of 52
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Loads of bollocks....again...

• Reply 10 of 52
    adrayven wrote: »
    If my math is correct.. thats no where near the 3 million sold that many are projecting.. umm.. who's correct?

Well, Apple hasn't confirmed these numbers, but if they're true, that's how many shipped. They could have sold more but not shipped because of production issues. Still, 376,000 watches shipped sounds like more than all Android wear and Samsung gear sold to date. And that was shipped to a customer, in one weekend... with Samsung you never know if it was just shipped to Best Buy stores. So, comparatively it sounds like a major beat down. If it's not true, then we don't know anything of course. But if it is true, we still don't know how many preorders they got.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    I could care less how many they sold. I will pass my own judgement on the device in 2 weeks.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So apparently on his radio show Leo Laporte said ?Watch is pointless, doesn't do anything and is an "OK" pedometer and that's it. What a clown. That's the problem with most of the professional tech reviews of this device. They don't get it. They're overthinking it, expecting it to be like iPhone, or something that they need to always be playing with. That's not the point of the watch. The two reviews below get it. But then again they're not coming from professional tech geeks either.

http://watchaware.com/post/11253/quick-thoughts-using-apple-watch-few-days

http://www.aboveavalon.com/notes/2015/4/25/apple-watch-what-did-apple-just-roll-out-here
  • Reply 13 of 52
    Saw a Apple Watch (white band) today at the local coffee shop. 1st one outside of the Apple store I have seen.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    rogifan wrote: »
    So apparently on his radio show Leo Laporte said ?Watch is pointless, doesn't do anything and is an "OK" pedometer and that's it. What a clown. That's the problem with most of the professional tech reviews of this device. They don't get it. They're overthinking it, expecting it to be like iPhone, or something that they need to always be playing with. That's not the point of the watch. The two reviews below get it. But then again they're not coming from professional tech geeks either.

http://www.aboveavalon.com/notes/2015/4/25/apple-watch-what-did-apple-just-roll-out-here

Laporte is just trolling for viewers. He knows what he's doing and is well aware that Apple people will attack him en masse for such statements.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    rogifan wrote: »

He's the new John Dvorak.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    WOW! Hard to argue that Apple didn't drop the ball on this. How is only 22% of pre-orders fulfilled. I think Apple need to go back and re-assess how they managed this launch.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    He's the new John Dvorak.

I like him, but I also know his style and ignore his Apple-baiting.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    adonissmu wrote: »
    WOW! Hard to argue that Apple didn't drop the ball on this. How is only 22% of pre-orders fulfilled. I think Apple need to go back and re-assess how they managed this launch.

Hahaha! You're funny.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    adonissmu wrote: »

When did Apple say only 22% of pre-orders have been filled?
  • Reply 20 of 52
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Hahaha! You're funny.

I think what s\he's getting at, is that instead, Tim Cook should have ignored what they've done in the past (and know works).

Built up tons of component inventory (like other unnamed companies have, and later sold in firesales / 2 for 1 offers), based on knowing the exact product mix, and knowing roughly how many preorders they were going to get, for a new product segment (to Apple) and been 100% prepared, or close to it! /s