Tim Cook hints Apple could be a part of 'major changes in media'

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited April 2015
The launch of HBO Now on Apple devices has been a big hit for both companies, and could hint at a major role for Apple in the future of cable cutting, CEO Tim Cook said on Monday.

Speaking during his company's quarterly earnings conference call, Cook said that he sees "major, major changes in media" coming on the horizon. And speaking to Wall Street analysts, he admitted that his company could play a part in those changes.

Unsurprisingly, Cook stopped short of saying exactly what role Apple could play. But the company is widely believed to be working on a subscription TV service that could debut as soon as this fall.

Cook's comments were made in the context of the newly launched HBO Now service, an over-the-top subscription deal that offers access to streaming content from HBO without a cable subscription. Currently exclusive to Apple devices, including the Apple TV, HBO Now marks the first time that non-cable subscribers in the U.S. have been able to access the premium network.

With only a few weeks of HBO Now in the books, Cook said he's encouraged by the start, as Apple users have embraced the network's library of content.

"Where could it go? You can speculate as good as I can where it can go," the CEO said.

In addition to a new subscription streaming service said to be priced between $30 and $40 per month, Apple is also believed to be working on a revamp of its set-top box hardware. Rumors have said the new Apple TV will debut in June at WWDC, featuring an A8 processor, a dedicated App Store, and Siri voice controls.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Gimme gimme gimme

Want want want

Take take take

:D
  • Reply 2 of 42
    Coooooool....
  • Reply 3 of 42
    I wonder whether Apple will expand into producing new content -- as Netflix has done over the past few years -- to differentiate itself from just being a means to disseminate existing content.

My guess: no, because it's much harder to predict the sales potential of artistic work than technology-based products that go through years of R&D. Apple may not want to inject such an unpredictable revenue stream into their mix.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by Slprescott View Post

I wonder whether Apple will expand into producing new content -- as Netflix has done over the past few years -- to differentiate itself from just being a means to disseminate existing content.

My guess: no, because it's much harder to predict the sales potential of artistic work than technology-based products that go through years of R&D. Apple may not want to inject such an unpredictable revenue stream into their mix.

Interesting.  Apple has already created original content in the form of iTunes Festival.

Live event streaming around the world, plus a library of prior iTunes Festival performances.

But yeah, it's hard to predict what the next hit will be.  Better to provide the infrastructure.

Better to be a Levi Strauss than some unknown miner randomly digging for the mother lode.

Many streets in SF are named after businessmen who provided goods and services during the gold rush.

Few if any are named after actual miners.

• Reply 5 of 42
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    slprescott wrote: »

Apple is not into creating original content. Not sure why. I mean they sold Halo like it meant nothing to them.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Interesting.  Apple has already created original content in the form of iTunes Festival.

Live event streaming around the world, plus a library of prior iTunes Festival performances.

But yeah, it's hard to predict what the next hit will be.  Better to provide the infrastructure.

Better to be a Levi Strauss than some unknown miner randomly digging for the mother lode.

Many streets in SF are named after businessmen who provided goods and services during the gold rush.

Few if any are named after actual miners.

I'd still love to see Apple hire Bob Iger to head an Apple entertainment division once he leaves Disney.

• Reply 7 of 42
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    slprescott wrote: »
    I would hope so. I'd like to see Apple turn the economics of production and distribution upside down.

They certainly could do better than the Sci-fi network. At least I would hope so as there seems to be a significant shortcoming with the way the smaller content producers and distributors think. FireFly is an example of rather thick headed thinking that I think Apple could over come.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Tim at last keynotes on Apple Tv
    " and this is just the begining"

Mentioned twice deliberately ! ;)
  • Reply 9 of 42

You can speculate as good as I can where it can go," the CEO said.

Hmm..... :/

(I think I can safely say that, despite his lack of a college degree, let alone a graduate degree, Steve Jobs would have never uttered something like that. At least, not in public.).
  • Reply 10 of 42
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'd still love to see Apple hire Bob Iger to head an Apple entertainment division once he leaves Disney.

That would be quite interesting.  But does Apple want to compete against other content providers?

It might lead to cancelled streaming contracts if, for example, an Apple show crushes a Disney show.

(And yeah, anybody but Eisner.  He hated "Lost" because he couldn't control it or something.)

• Reply 11 of 42
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

That would be quite interesting.  But does Apple want to compete against other content providers?

It might lead to cancelled streaming contracts if, for example, an Apple show crushes a Disney show.

(And yeah, anybody but Eisner.  He hated "Lost" because he couldn't control it or something.)

Remember, Laurene Powell Jobs is still a huge shareholder of Disney. I doubt they'd cut ties with Apple.

• Reply 12 of 42
    xixoxixo Posts: 450member

Now that the Comcast / Time Warner Cable merger is off, Apple will likely resume their planned deal with TWC to offer AppleTV to their subscribers.

• Reply 13 of 42
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

The only problem I see here is that the vast majority of the viewing public do not have a broadband connection. Now that the FCC has redefined broadband as 25mbps and above most do not have it. It takes about 10-12 mbps for a good 1080P stream, about 15mbps or more for 4K. Add to that the fact that most internet connections are not stable enough to stream a complete movie without buffering or stuttering and you get the picture. Since net neutrality prohibits guaranteed bandwidth agreements it’s going to take a massive infrastructure upgrade for this to happen in any significant manner. Google fiber, Verizon FIOS, AT&T Gigapower, etc, are all experimental pipe dreams right now with no major expansion deployments planned any time soon. 

For those of us fortunate enough to live in areas where broadband is easily available and there’s competition, fine and dandy. The rest of the country, not so much, especially rural areas.

• Reply 14 of 42
    tbornottbornot Posts: 116member
    I would pay ANYTHING to get rid of the insanely awful desktop boxes the cable companies supply with their "service". ANYTHING!
  • Reply 15 of 42
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    The only problem I see here is that the vast majority of the viewing public do not have a broadband connection. Now that the FCC has redefined broadband as 25mbps and above most do not have it. It takes about 10-12 mbps for a good 1080P stream, about 15mbps or more for 4K. Add to that the fact that most internet connections are not stable enough to stream a complete movie without buffering or stuttering and you get the picture. Since net neutrality prohibits guaranteed bandwidth agreements it’s going to take a massive infrastructure upgrade for this to happen in any significant manner. Google fiber, Verizon FIOS, AT&T Gigapower, etc, are all experimental pipe dreams right now with no major expansion deployments planned any time soon. 

For those of us fortunate enough to live in areas where broadband is easily available and there’s competition, fine and dandy. The rest of the country, not so much, especially rural areas.

Apple is a global company; just because the U.S. thanks to Republican refusal to regulate broadband, wireless and force competition is lagging in broadband when compared to the rest of the civilized world doesn't mean that Apple is holding back.
    If anything their offers will force the providers to step up, just like the iPhone forced providers to beef up mobile internet.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    $40 would be a great deal if it included internet connectivity or a package with three or four HBO equivalents. I'm not going to pay that for HBO plus a bunch of cable channels with crappy programming.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    This WWDC can't come soon enough. The remote app and Apple TV are becoming more and more of a frustration. Whatever they do I'm pleading with apple 'do it sooner'! Whew, feels good it get that off my chest.

Can someone shed some light on maybe a deeper understanding of what is meant by the rumour 'Apple's solution to subscription TV' is subscription streaming TV? Cause I sure hope it's not!
  • Reply 18 of 42
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

Remember, Laurene Powell Jobs is still a huge shareholder of Disney. I doubt they'd cut ties with Apple.

I always wondered how much control she has. I'd like to see her bring Apple exclusive Disney content.

But I have a feeling she may just be sitting back collecting money.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    ditzilditzil Posts: 2member

It seems clear to me Apple has chosen to be the toll collector when it comes to their platform initiatives. That's why they won't buy content and they didn't buy Nest. They rather be the bridge and let others fight for space on their platform.

Apple will collect a piece of it all.

• Reply 20 of 42
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagan_student View Post

This WWDC can't come soon enough. The remote app and Apple TV are becoming more and more of a frustration. Whatever they do I'm pleading with apple 'do it sooner'! Whew, feels good it get that off my chest.

Can someone shed some light on maybe a deeper understanding of what is meant by the rumour 'Apple's solution to subscription TV' is subscription streaming TV? Cause I sure hope it's not!

I personally would add something like the Minix X8-H to your media hub to compliment your Apple TV if your frustrated. Not only is the remote fantastic with a built in keyboard on the rear, it handles pretty much every streaming service and media types available, including HBO Go,  4K video, the ability to install apps, including games, web browsers and of course the best app for media consumption there is, Kodi (XBMC). I dont get US channels here but with Kodi I am able to stream pretty much every TV channel around the world for free, I'm really enjoying Australian TV at the moment. If your a student and live with a bunch of people the Minix is the best thing you can have in the house, you'll be a guaranteed hit. Don't forget to add the repository from https://superrepo.org/, HD TV, 4K Movies,  HighDef Music, just about every conceivable type of streaming media is available. Its also very quick for a TV setbox, well it has to be if it's going to stream 4K, GeekBench 834 SingleCore / 2413 MultiCore. It also works great with either an Xbox or Playstation controller,  previous or new models. Now it does cost twice as much as a Apple TV but your also getting twice the machine,  including;  2GB of RAM,  16GB storage,  SD card reader,  3 full sized USB 2.0 (HD storage,  mice,  keyboards,  game controllers,  cam) and one micro USB (OTG),  Gigabit Ethernet,  audio out (both optical and analog 3.5mm),  microphone in (Karaoke), Airplay, Miracast,  NFC,  Bluetooth (can display your iPads desktop,  the iPad can also be used to control XBMC. The Apple TV is a great device but the Minix ups the game to a whole new level and is an absolute must have for any media junkie. 

http: //linuxlookup.com/review/minix_neo_x8_h_media_hub_review