MCX partner Best Buy to accept Apple Pay at stores later this year

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2015
During Apple's quarterly conference call for the second quarter of 2015, CEO Tim Cook announced big box electronics store Best Buy is now accepting Apple Pay through its app and will roll out in-store support later this year.

Netting Best Buy is a coup for Apple Pay as the company is a major contributor to the Merchant Customer Exchange (MCX) consortium, a group of retailers that actively repelled Apple's NFC payments solution at its stores. MCX plans to market its own mobile payments system in CurrentC, though the solution is thought to be more cumbersome and less secure than Apple Pay.

Notably, MCX partners CVS and Rite Aid switched off Apple Pay compatibility at previously compatible NFC point of sale terminals shortly after the service launched in October. The companies later said the move was in line with MCX policy.

Other MCX partners include Walmart, CVS, The Gap and other popular chains.

Speaking on the issue, MCX CEO Dekkers Davidson said in November that it had partner members' best interests in mind by blocking Apple Pay in favor of CurrentC.

"There are consequences, so if you decide to not keep the agreement that you made with the other merchants we're not going to put a lot of energy in helping get those merchants launched in the near term," Davidson said.

Best Buy is expected to roll out in-app Apple Pay support today, with in-store NFC compatibility to come later this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43

Predictable. CVS up next. Then Target.

• Reply 2 of 43
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

They should've already jumped on the Apple Pay bandwagon. Why wait for people to patronize the competition? 

• Reply 3 of 43
    That happened sooner than I thought.

CurrectC hasn't even fully launched yet.

I thought Best Buy would let it flounder for at least a year before they begrudgingly accepted Apple Pay.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    I think Target should jump in now, get a good size head start on Walmart. Seems like a perfect opportunity for them. I would switch to Target tomorrow if they did. Would also like it if one of the gas stations near me accepted it, then I could legitimately leave my credit card home.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    rgspbrgspb Posts: 8member
    Can't believe it's taken this long! For a tech retailer, they are so far behind. No form of epayment and they can't even scan their loyalty card from Passbook or even from their own app!
  • Reply 6 of 43
    krreagankrreagan Posts: 218member
    Wip-de-diddley-shit!! Who shops at BB anyway. Over priced and rife with annoying sales people. Not worth the pucker factor!
  • Reply 7 of 43
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    [SIZE=14px]Predictable. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">CVS up next. Then Target.</span>
    [/SIZE]

I'd like to see Rite Aid fall. That's the one that bugs me most...
  • Reply 8 of 43
    I remember that forum thread was pretty epic. There some trolls whose only defense of CurrenC was that credit card companies were greedy. As if QR codes was how consumers wanted to pay.

In any case, too late for BB. I had stopped shopping their years ago.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    Aw, man. I was sooo looking forward to using CurrentC at Best Buy.
  • Reply 10 of 43

Didn't these MCX members turn off NFC on their terminals to block Apple Pay at their stores? If so, it seems they will be reversing this later this year (at least at Best Buy). They're accepting it now within their app, as does Target (they were a launch partner). I wonder if Target will follow as well? Perhaps it's just a matter of meeting the new credit card requirements that are to go into effect later this year and Apple Pay just comes along with it?

• Reply 11 of 43
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krreagan View Post

Wip-de-diddley-shit!! Who shops at BB anyway. Over priced and rife with annoying sales people. Not worth the pucker factor!

I don't recall ever having been dissolved by a BB salesperson.  I've got a BB 10 minutes from my home--the nearest apple store is a good 30 minute drive--and it's a convenient alternative.  I've bought cameras, apple branded accessories, phone accessories, sound equipment, etc.  Your experience may vary.

• Reply 12 of 43
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

I don't recall ever having been dissolved by a BB salesperson.  I've got a BB 10 minutes from my home--the nearest apple store is a good 30 minute drive--and it's a convenient alternative.  I've bought cameras, apple branded accessories, phone accessories, sound equipment, etc.  Your experience may vary.

At least BB price-matches Amazon for in-stock items... that's the only benefit I see, if you need instant gratification.

I'd expect nearly all MCX members to cave in to ApplePay EXCEPT Walmart.

• Reply 13 of 43
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

They should've already jumped on the Apple Pay bandwagon. Why wait for people to patronize the competition? 

These companies are doing Current C at the instigation of Walmart, which hates credit card companies. The concept here is that instead of recognising a credit card, you will have your money taken right out of your bank account, thereby eliminating the credit card fees they now pay, which will then be available to add to their profits.

We can see how customer friendly this is, and why it's thought that it won't succeed.

• Reply 14 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

By the way, the Best Buy app available through the iOS App Store is now configured for Apple Pay.

• Reply 15 of 43
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    RIPMCX
  • Reply 16 of 43
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    surrender.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    Didn't these MCX members turn off NFC on their terminals to block Apple Pay at their stores? If so, it seems they will be reversing this later this year (at least at Best Buy). They're accepting it now within their app, as does Target (they were a launch partner). I wonder if Target will follow as well? Perhaps it's just a matter of meeting the new credit card requirements that are to go into effect later this year and Apple Pay just comes along with it?
    nah, the NFC is active. I stopped by Ride Aid to get Claritin on Saturday and try Apple Pay. After processing for a few seconds it came back with "wireless payment" is not supported at this moment message. So dumb these companies. Apple Pay is indeed a perfect product. Always fun using it every time at ever expanded places.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 465member

While the companies behind MCX really really hate swipe fees from Visa, MasterCard and Amex, Best Buy is seeing the writing on the wall for another problem that is a lot bigger for them:  fraud.  Best Buy stores are one of the biggest targets in the United States for buying merchandise with stolen credit cards.  Anything that will cut down the potential of fraud in their stores is something they need to pursue...this is a big issue with their senior leadership (CFO, CEO, CIO, Board of Directors).  Nobody wants the whole Target thing happen to them...and they know that criminals are trying to penetrate their systems every day.  Targets senior C-level leadership all lost their jobs over the whole fraud mess.  It's not hard to see Best Buy's motivations here.

• Reply 19 of 43
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    melgross wrote: »

These companies are doing Current C at the instigation of Walmart, which hates credit card companies. The concept here is that instead of recognising a credit card, you will have your money taken right out of your bank account, thereby eliminating the credit card fees they now pay, which will then be available to add to their profits.

We can see how customer friendly this is, and why it's thought that it won't succeed.

Apple Pay accepts debit cards, which also avoid almost all fees. The merchants should just do something to encourage use of debit cards. In fact, the good security of Apple Pay helps with that.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    There will also be "consequences" for stores that persist in limiting their customers to an inferior payment system, Dekkers. Good luck with your walled weed garden.