Apple seeds second beta of iOS 8.4 to developers

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2015
Apple on Monday started seeding a second iOS 8.4 beta to developers, bringing more refinements to the company's future update for iPhones, iPads, and iPods.

The new code can be downloaded as an over-the-air update for existing iOS 8.4 users and should soon be available through Apple's iOS Dev Center as well. In release notes, Apple promises bugfixes and miscellaneous other improvements over the first beta, which was released two weeks ago.

The core feature of iOS 8.4 is an overhauled Music app. It sports a number of interface changes, among them gesture controls, global search, and a persistent MiniPlayer allowing playback control from anywhere in the software.

Apple has also issued the first public beta of the software, based on the latest developer release, and a developer seed of Xcode 6.4 beta 2 for app creators. Access to the public iOS 8.4 beta requires signing up for Apple's Beta Software Program.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16

It's weird that Apple would do such a big change to the OS in an update rather than a new version. Perhaps the rumors of iOS 9 being just a bug fix, Snow Leopard release are true.

• Reply 2 of 16
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Apple on Monday started seeding a second iOS 8.4 beta to developers, bringing more refinements to the company's upcoming firmware update for iPhones, iPads, and iPods.

I don't think "firmware" correctly describes the operating system. Just because iOS lives on an SSD (Flash memory), does that make it firmware?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So when does iPad get a UI that takes advantage of its screen size?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Also worth noting, iOS 8.4 finally adds Audiobooks to CarPlay's home screen.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    I would love to see an iOS and OS X release this yr that is focused primarily on performance and stability. My phone and Mac are the least stable they have ever been in 8 yrs of ownership.
  • Reply 6 of 16

My iPhone and Macs have never been so stable.  funny old world.

• Reply 7 of 16
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    @schlack I totally agree... and you can extend that to 13 years
  • Reply 8 of 16
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    It's weird that Apple would do such a big change to the OS in an update rather than a new version. Perhaps the rumors of iOS 9 being just a bug fix, Snow Leopard release are true.

A bug / performance fix would be nice though the latest update has done wonders for me. What I fear and at the same time hope for though, is a rewrite of many apps & libraries with a focus on Swift. Swift and some modern programming conventions seems to offer considerable rewards to developers and the apps they make.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    rogifan wrote: »
    So when does iPad get a UI that takes advantage of its screen size?

The UI is pretty good already, I wouldn't go overboard with the UI updates.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    ipilya wrote: »
    @schlack I totally agree... and you can extend that to 13 years

I don't know about 13 years, but I'm seeing many problems still on my Mac. IOS is much improved with the latest release though.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    shurikshurik Posts: 1member
    I don't see this update(
  • Reply 12 of 16
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member
    This 8.4 beta is the fastest IOS yet. Really speedy. However one small little issue. When launching Safari it said unable to go the web page as it was connecting. It did that on any web page I went to. I was just about to submit a feedback report when it dawned on me to go into the SETTINGS -> SAFARI -> trash the cache. I then opened Safati and not only was it working again but at lightning speed like the rest of the IOS. Great update!!
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Siri seems to be broken for me on an iPhone 5 32GB.
  • Reply 14 of 16

Siri seems to be broken on iPhone 5 32GB.

• Reply 15 of 16
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    My iPhone and Macs have never been so stable.  funny old world.

Ditto here.

8.2 and 8.3 are the most polished, refined and stable versions I recall having on any iOS device ever.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    I'm seeing major battery drain issues with iOS 8.3 on two different iPhones and my iPad Air. Also seeing crashes on iPhone and iPad that I've never seen before. I'll give 8.4 a whirl and hope for the best. But other than these issues 8.3 seems okay I guess.