Apple Watch App Store touts over 3,500 titles, Cook says

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
During Apple's second quarter 2015 earnings conference call on Monday, CEO Tim Cook said that Apple Watch customers now have access to more than 3,500 apps designed specifically for the new device.

In comparison to previous platform launches, Apple Watch is ahead of the game, Cook said. For example, when the iPhone App Store opened in 2008 it featured a selection of about 500 apps, while iPad launched with around 1,000 platform specific titles.

Cook said Apple was hoping to beat the 1,000-app mark for Apple Watch's debut, but ended up with around 3,000 titles at launch.

"And we thought it would be great if we were able to do that by a little bit, and as I've mentioned before, we now have over 3,500 apps in the App Store for the Watch," Cook said. "We couldn't be happier about how things are going from that point of view."

For products like iPhone, iPad and now Apple Watch, a thriving app ecosystem draws direct corollaries with strong hardware sales and device stickiness.

For many developers, creating Apple Watch apps has been a challenge, as Apple strictly limited access to functional hardware prior to launch. Larger companies like Facebook, BMW and United Continental Holdings were reportedly invited to develop apps in Apple's secret labs, though space was obviously limited.

After launch, Apple attempted to rectify the situation by facilitating fast shipping on early Apple Watch units, offering developers a chance at expedited orders guaranteed to ship no later than April 28.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

No one is able to leverage previous successes better than Apple.

• Reply 2 of 12
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No one is able to leverage previous successes better than Apple.

iPhone?

Make the iPod bigger and throw cellular in it. 

App Store to go with it. 

iPad?

Use the iPod ---> iPhone recipe but this time make it even bigger, and make bigger apps for it.

Boom. Paradigm shifts out the ass on both counts.

Apple Watch.

Put iOS in a watch. Give it its own App Store.

Done (see paradigm shifts comment.)

So simple it's genius. 

• Reply 3 of 12
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Waiting for reviews and curation. Am shocked at how few reviews there have been of the watch by people who have actually used it. Weren't some seeded? Even MacWorld in their May issue e-zine reviewed on a store try-on. What gives?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Waiting for reviews and curation. Am shocked at how few reviews there have been of the watch by people who have actually used it. Weren't some seeded? Even MacWorld in their May issue e-zine reviewed on a store try-on. What gives?

My thinking is that the asshole analysts aren't sure which way the wind is blowing yet... so they don't want to stick their neck out the wrong way and look like a ...well... an asshole.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member

I'm four days into wearing/using the Apple Watch. I find the 'apps' a little slow at times when pulling down a live update but generally they get updated in the background. Generally I have noticed myself looking at my phone less and being more 'present' if that makes sense. I find it quicker to assess what needs dealing with now and what can be dealt with later on.

So early days but I am starting to appreciate the value of the device, which knowing Apple will increase as the ecosystem builds.

• Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

My thinking is that the asshole analysts aren't sure which way the wind is blowing yet... so they don't want to stick their neck out the wrong way and look like a ...well... an asshole.

The Android Wear camp cannot pay enough money to the asshole analysts to get them to lie at this time. What can they say? Android Wear has business, consumer, health strategies? Android Wear has sales and profits? Android Wear has an integrated ecosystem? Android Wear does payments? Hmmm... Summer is coming. Let's hold this conversation for a few more months.:p

• Reply 7 of 12
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

I'm not finding the Apple Watch to be very app-centric. I occasionally look up the football scores but apart from that, I'm happy with just the clock, Glances and notifications.

• Reply 8 of 12
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I'm not finding the Apple Watch to be very app-centric. I occasionally look up the football scores but apart from that, I'm happy with just the clock, Glances and notifications.

Some of the apps aren't joined up to the real world either. The British Airways app displays your boarding pass as a scannable bar code which is fine for scanners pre-security but the ones to get into the lounge would require you to remove the watch to scan!

• Reply 9 of 12
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Same here. I want access to the Watch Face API though. Some are downright frustrating. Why can't I put the temperature and the battery state, as well as my server's status (as coloured dots) on the gorgeous flower-watchface?

On an unrelated note, I'm starting to get a slight rash from the link-mail band. I thought Apple had done all sorts of anti-allergenic tests, so i'm a bit perplexed... Worst case I'll go in and argue my way into an exchange, I guess... Not going to resell the Watch itself ;)

• Reply 10 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Same here. I want access to the Watch Face API though. Some are downright frustrating. Why can't I put the temperature and the battery state, as well as my server's status (as coloured dots) on the gorgeous flower-watchface?

On an unrelated note, I'm starting to get a slight rash from the link-mail band. I thought Apple had done all sorts of anti-allergenic tests, so i'm a bit perplexed... Worst case I'll go in and argue my way into an exchange, I guess... Not going to resell the Watch itself ;)

Argue? Just take it back and show them.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Argue? Just take it back and show them.

Yeah, that's what i mean. I guess I need to work on my "phrasing things in a non-confrontational way" skills...

• Reply 12 of 12
    gregqgregq Posts: 62member

I completely underestimated the value of the Apple Watch when I saw the presentation last September; I think it's going to be *huge* once supply meets demand. The number of available apps will/is exploding. Glad I have Apple stock.