Apple Watch wrist detection failing with some tattoos, users complain

Comments

• Reply 41 of 214
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by h3nrch View Post

This thread is a despicable reflection of the blind zealotry and hostile nature of extreme fanboys. Shameful and pathetic.

Oh it's just a bit of fun, calm down. Some of my best friends have tattoos, Tiffany and Destiny for instance.

• Reply 42 of 214
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    wurm5150 wrote: »
    "Apple Watch is racist!"

- Rev. Al Sharpton

"Apple Watch disrespected me!"
    —Kanye West
  • Reply 43 of 214
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    I have never seen a tattoo that makes me think MORE of a person. This is why many people get tattoos that they can hide, because a person with visible tattoos does not convey a person who respects himself, and if a person does not respect himself - what would make me think he will respect me, my finances, my business or my best interests?
  • Reply 44 of 214
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member

Wow, I'm surprised at the tattoo-hate going on here.  I have a rather large tattoo on my back but I didn't read much into this article outside more of "Oh well... sucks to have an arm-sleeve.  Seriously, I've always known that tattoo ink can have particles in it that could conceivably interfere with something.  I occasionally get asked if I have one on a medical form from time-to-time.  No biggie.

I'm curious who these people are that are "complaining"?  Sounds like AI is fishing for a hype-rumor for more web clicks.  This probability has to be so low, that the article is making it sound like it's a more widespread problem than it really is.  If my tattoo affected some shiny new gadget, I'd be like "Oh well, not for me".  

For the record... tattoos on women, done tastefully, is seriously hot in my book.  Be careful when stereotyping women like that.  I can personally guarantee that there are women, professional and very successful in life, well-educated that are sporting tattoos.  They just choose not to show them to the world.  It just reeks ignorance on many of you.

• Reply 45 of 214
    Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

I am sure they might be able to overcome this somehow...

60% of the time, they succeed every time.

• Reply 46 of 214

I am always amazed how people do not take time to understand how technology works...

If you are measuring light reflectance and absorbance on your skin and how it interacts with blood pulsing through your veins, how do you think a whole bunch of ink on the top layer of your skin, its main purpose is to absorb light, is going to affect the measurement of the blood vessels under it?

This is similar to the people that complain that capacitive touch screens do not work with gloves...

• Reply 47 of 214
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

For the record... tattoos on women, done tastefully, is seriously hot in my book.  Be careful when stereotyping women like that.  I can personally guarantee that there are women, professional and very successful in life, well-educated that are sporting tattoos.  They just choose not to show them to the world.  It just reeks ignorance on many of you.

In all seriousness I actually married a woman with a tattoo. I don't like them, I wouldn't have one myself,  but I'm clearly able to see past the tattoo :) 

• Reply 48 of 214
    websnapwebsnap Posts: 224member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

I have never seen a tattoo that makes me think MORE of a person. This is why many people get tattoos that they can hide, because a person with visible tattoos does not convey a person who respects himself, and if a person does not respect himself - what would make me think he will respect me, my finances, my business or my best interests?

Sadly, what you are saying says more about you and how you view people than about those other people and how they live their lives. Just something to think about.

I have a tattoo but no one can see it (shoulder, hidden by t-shirt sleeve) and that is a personal choice, as was the choice to get one, as is your opinion of people with body art. You are choosing to think that way. There are plenty of people with no tattoos who will disrespect you, your business and your best interests, but because they may not have THAT distinguishing feature, maybe they are more difficult to remember for you.

It’s easy to associate something bad with particular people when they have something to make them stand out. We forget those that do us harm that blend in – could be something for you to work on.

• Reply 49 of 214
    h3nrch wrote: »
    This thread is a despicable reflection of the blind zealotry and hostile nature of extreme fanboys. Shameful and pathetic.

Can you please stop labeling people with such a broad brush? A handful of opinions and you're declaring Apple fanboys hostile and zealots. They do not speak for the majority of Apple fans.
  • Reply 50 of 214
    sflocal wrote: »
    Wow, I'm surprised at the tattoo-hate going on here.  I have a rather large tattoo on my back but I didn't read much into this article outside more of "Oh well... sucks to have an arm-sleeve.  Seriously, I've always known that tattoo ink can have particles in it that could conceivably interfere with something.  I occasionally get asked if I have one on a medical form from time-to-time.  No biggie.

I'm curious who these people are that are "complaining"?  Sounds like AI is fishing for a hype-rumor for more web clicks.  This probability has to be so low, that the article is making it sound like it's a more widespread problem than it really is.  If my tattoo affected some shiny new gadget, I'd be like "Oh well, not for me".  

A person with a lot of tattoos, at least in my part of the country, tends to indicate gang affiliation.
  • Reply 51 of 214
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »
    dont want to be judgemental but Apple can't account for people vandalizing their body.

But they do so it should've been taken into account.
  • Reply 52 of 214
    cia wrote: »
    Jesus tapdancing christ people! Today I learned Appleinsider commenters are narrow minded as hell.

I'd probably hire someone with a large tattoo over a non-tattood person. Shows they will take risk and don't gave a f*ck what others think. Admirable qualities when surrounded by lemmings.

Boy, oh boy. I'd make such a person last on my list of potential hires...unless I was hiring someone for my tattoo parlor.
  • Reply 53 of 214
    websnapwebsnap Posts: 224member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

A person with a lot of tattoos, at least in my part of the country, tends to indicate gang affiliation.

... or a “hip” pastor... or a chef... or, well... just about anything these days. I don’t now many designers who don’t have one.

• Reply 54 of 214
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    But they do so it should've been taken into account.

Maybe it was taken into account and there was a chance the watch would function fine a good percentage of the time. Maybe this ink-stained wretch has iron rich blood that's wreaking havoc with the sensors.
  • Reply 55 of 214
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    Free will is an illusion. Pretty much sums up the tattoo debate. Nature + nurture, you dont choose either one.

I suppose the watch wont work if you have no arms or legs either...
  • Reply 56 of 214

I really am amazed at the tattoo hatred in this thread. You'd think tattoo's beat these people up in grade school or something.

I have several tattoos, all my personal designs, all able to be covered by clothing. That is my personal choice but if someone chooses to show off their ink/art in a visible space, that's their choice.

As for the drunken statement, I can tell you for a fact my artist (and his whole studio & other artists I know) won't ink anyone under any influences, after do what you like, but you have to be coherent when getting your ink.

I can't help but wonder if people are this judgmental of people by the clothes they wear, or the cars they drive. And as for the one person who specifically called a woman a tramp because of tattoos, wow.

• Reply 57 of 214
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Interesting. Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen an ?Watch on a non-white wrist.

No? Think again. At least you could have noticed all those celebrities wearing one, for example Beyoncé, Drake, Pharell Williams, etc.

• Reply 58 of 214
    blazar wrote: »
    Free will is an illusion. Pretty much sums up the tattoo debate. Nature + nurture, you dont choose either one.

I suppose the watch wont work if you have no arms or legs either...

Which is why the limbless should buy a small hairless chihuahua to act as a surrogate arm.
  • Reply 59 of 214
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Ah yes, yet another reason why a tattoo is foolish. It confuses an Apple Watch.

In my case, I've always envisioned myself a downed pilot in WWII, able to speak fluent German and having escaped a grim POW camp. Absent a tattoo, there'd be no "identifying marks" for the Gestapo to put on my wanted poster. I could smile as I went through checkpoint after checkpoint with my dyed hair and forged papers. Take that you stinking Nazis!

Yeah, that's imaginary. But who knows what can happen. There's no easier way for someone who means you ill to identify you than a tattoo. Don't get one.

--Michael W. Perry, author of Chesterton on War and Peace: Battling the Ideas and Movements that Led to Nazism and World War II
  • Reply 60 of 214
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I wonder if a tattoo of the Apple watch would confuse the Apple watch?