UberEATS now delivering food to New Yorkers in 10 minutes

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2015
After seeing initial success in Los Angeles and Barcelona, Uber on Tuesday launched its UberEATS service in New York and Chicago, promising customers direct delivery of fresh food in ten minutes or less.

UberEATS, like other "Uber Everything" projects, is built on the company's smartphone-based on-demand transportation services. For food logistics, the company partners up with local restaurants, offering customers a limited menu for speedy delivery.

With the New York City rollout, Uber is featuring an exclusive salad and NYC Cut sandwich -- a twist on a classic pastrami sandwich -- from restaurant American Cut. Other choices include selections from Num Pang, sweetgreen, Scarpetta, and more.

Uber manages to remain within the promised 10 minute delivery period by having drivers pick up batches of food off the curated menu, store them in heat retaining containers and deliver orders as they drive their normal rounds, reports Wired. It may not offer the same selection as other services, but UberEATS beats most on time saved.

The service runs through the official Uber app in a special section called EATS that activates from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Monday through Friday. Dropping a pin brings up a View Menu option, which is used to designate the type and number of meals to be delivered.

Only customers located in the UberEATS coverage area are allowed to place an order. Currently, UberEATS New York is available in Manhattan from 40th St. to 14th St., and the Loop and River North in Chicago. Uber plans to expand services soon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

What about GrubHub? Did that app also get coverage? How about all of these apps? I don't see a burning need to provide free advertising to Uber, especially considering the extremely limited coverage for this food delivery service.

• Reply 2 of 17
    vfx2k4vfx2k4 Posts: 43member
    GrubHub and most other food delivery apps are 30 minutes to over an hour for delivery. UberEats is 10 minutes. Am I the only one reading these articles?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    citycity Posts: 522member

Wow! This is great. Thanks AI

• Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vfx2k4 View Post

GrubHub and most other food delivery apps are 30 minutes to over an hour for delivery. UberEats is 10 minutes. Am I the only one reading these articles?

It's 10 minutes because of extremely limited coverage.

• Reply 5 of 17
    citycity Posts: 522member

The Uber drivers will now be able to eat. (Unsold product I assume)

• Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by city View Post

The Uber drivers will now be able to eat. (Unsold product I assume)

"You're Uber-eating into our profits!"

• Reply 7 of 17
    Does Uber drink? Sleep? Defecate?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Does Uber drink? Sleep? Defecate?

Sit, Uber, sit! Good dog. (WOOF!)

• Reply 9 of 17
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's 10 minutes because of extremely limited coverage.

Then why does Seamless and GrubHub take 30-60 minutes in a 10 block area? The reason UberEATS can claim 10 minutes is because they already have tons of drivers out there with the food ready for delivery. They will be servicing all of NY in no time because they already do service NYC with thousands of drivers. The only limitation will be the number of menu items you can possibly get in 10 minutes.

• Reply 10 of 17

You mean this Uber Eats?

http://www.ubereats.com

I think Uber is going to have a trademark problem.

• Reply 11 of 17
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    Ok, I think this is officially the most irrelevant AI article I have ever seen. But I am hungry.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    What about GrubHub? Did that app also get coverage? How about all of these apps? I don't see a burning need to provide free advertising to Uber, especially considering the extremely limited coverage for this food delivery service.

It's not free advertising.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    aduzikaduzik Posts: 94member
    I work in the Chicago Loop and tried this for lunch today. The drivers had pre-made food in their cars. You order through the Uber app, and in under five minutes a driver pulled up with my order. I ordered a sandwich from Xoco, a Rick Bayless restaurant in River North. It was… OK. Not nearly as good as the food at the actual restaurant. Still kind of fun though, a novel idea. If I do it again I'll go for something cold like a salad.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    aduzik wrote: »
    I work in the Chicago Loop and tried this for lunch today. The drivers had pre-made food in their cars. You order through the Uber app, and in under five minutes a driver pulled up with my order. I ordered a sandwich from Xoco, a Rick Bayless restaurant in River North. It was… OK. Not nearly as good as the food at the actual restaurant. Still kind of fun though, a novel idea. If I do it again I'll go for something cold like a salad.

What kind of refrigeration/heating is involved to ensure the food is safe?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What kind of refrigeration/heating is involved to ensure the food is safe?

I don't think it's a matter of 'safe' since food is precooked and delivered in under 10 minutes. It's more a matter of how much worse does a particular dish taste when it travels and cools off. Or does the salad wilt for instance.

• Reply 16 of 17
    silenciosilencio Posts: 134member

Midtown only. Not helpful. Well, not helpful to me. Being able to get those Num Pang five spice pork belly sandwiches delivered would have been dangerous.

The other NYC food delivery announcement from yesterday, the Momofuku-backed Maple app, only delivers below Chambers St. Also not helpful to me.

Oh well, there's always Seamless. And actually walking outside.

• Reply 17 of 17
    chadmaticchadmatic Posts: 285member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vfx2k4 View Post

I just read the article a second time and didn't see any reference to GrubHub and most other food delivery apps are 30 minutes to over an hour for delivery.