Apple posts interview with Christy Turlington Burns on iTunes

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
Apple this week shared a recorded interview with model and activist Christy Turlington Burns, hosted by Apple Fitness and Health director Jay Blahnik at the Regent Street Apple Store in London.

The interview consists mostly of Burns discussing her experiences with marathons and fitness in general, as well as her charity Every Mother Counts, which is dedicated to improving the safety of pregnancy and childbirth.

Towards the end of the interview she discusses exercising with the Apple Watch. She notes for example that she never used a fitness tracker prior to the Watch, and that some of the things she enjoyed most were being able to monitor her performance accurately and get constant rewards for progress.

Turlington Burns has been Apple's primary celebrity spokesperson for the Watch. She appeared on-stage during the company's March 9 press event, and contributed a diary to Apple's website praising the product. In exchange for being used in marketing, Turlington Burns has been able to promote her charity.

She ran the London Marathon on Sunday, and yesterday, Apple CEO Tim Cook posted a photo to Twitter showing her after the race with a Watch on her wrist. She beat her personal goal with a time of 3:46:45.

In her final diary update, posted Tuesday, Turlington Burns promoted Watch features like Siri, Maps, and Digital Touch, and described the experience of running the marathon. She also used the opportunity to talk about Every Mother Counts and her new film Every Mile, Every Mother.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    Christy should be loudly applauded for what she has achieved for her charity. She set a race target of 4.00 hours and came in around 3.45 hours. What an achievement. This is a great advert for the good that an Apple watch can do to help improve health. It has been reported that Goerge Clooney said if Christy did less than 4.00 hours he would run the marathon next year on behalf of Every Women Counts.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I find it interesting that Turlington Burns escaped all the criticism leveled at Apple when they gave early watches to people in the fashion industry. She is a former fashion model. I would like to hear from the trolls who called the fashion industry shallow people. Do you think that applies to Ms. Turlington Burns?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,957member
    I am enjoying the Fitness and Activity apps on the watch as much as anything. I, too, have never used a fitness band. But my wife tried to use the Weight Watchers ones they gave us when we re-upped our memberships. It was so confusing that I decided to just wait for the ?Watch that I knew was coming in the spring. In fairness to WW they have since dropped their tracker in favor of the Fit Bit.

I will be very pleased if WW comes out with a full-on app for the watch. I use their iOS app daily, and one of the real pains is figuring out the points value of activities and exercise. The watche's Fitness app is already recording all the metrics; it should a pretty straightforward to use whatever proprietary algorithm WW uses to convert these values into points. Currently, their iOS app has some nominal data connection to the Health app on the iPhone. Only about nutrition, though.

Did I tell you I'm liking the watch so far? Best surprise? The turn by turn prompts via the watch while using maps navigation in the car. Until I get a CarPlay aftermarket unit, it's much better than the phone alone. Drove my wife crazy that I kept looking down at the phone. Now I am prompted to turn by clicks (and haptic feedback) that sound like a turn indicator in a car! Very clever, Apple. And while the directions on the phone via Siri always seem to come too late to make a turn, they are timed just right on the ?Watch. How could that be?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

While I can't relate to Turlington on many levels (especially income), I can relate to what it takes to finish a marathon. Finishing is one thing, but to do it well under 4 hrs is exceptional. I'm not sure if the Apple Watch truly played a significant role in achieving this, as there's are no shortcuts in training. 

• Reply 5 of 12

Apple seem to be touting this woman as some sort of fitness expert. I've never heard of her before and don't really care what she thinks of the Apple Watch. Couldn't they get a professional athlete to comment instead. I would take their opinion a lot more seriously than some ugly ex-model.

• Reply 6 of 12
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,556member
    nightsky wrote: »
    Apple seem to be touting this woman as some sort of fitness expert. I've never heard of her before and don't really care what she thinks of the Apple Watch. Couldn't they get a professional athlete to comment instead. I would take their opinion a lot more seriously than some ugly ex-model.
    Actually, they're touting her as a world-famous former model now successfully having turned to sports as a vehicle for charity.

And I'm pretty sure that a big part of why they're using her - beyond the fact that she's very well known - is that they're boosting charity work, rather than lining some athlete's pockets.

The fact that you, personally, have never heard of Christie Turlington isn't really part of their calculations and doesn't mean much.

Heck, even I've heard of her. Then again, I'm over thirty, which is probably why.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Huh. They never touted her as a fitness expert.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    matrix07 wrote: »
    Huh. They never touted her as a fitness expert.

The important thing is that he found a reason to dismiss her because she pretty, not a "professional athlete (as if LeBron James would be more credible) and being "used by" Apple for propaganda.
  • Reply 9 of 12

Read my OP. I didn't say she was pretty, I actually said she's ugly. My point was that she's a nobody. Ex-model or not she has no credibility in the fitness world. And you think Apple aren't paying her? Do me a favour mate, she's only doing it for the money in the same way a pro athlete endorsement would be just for the money.

• Reply 10 of 12

World famous? I don't think so. Maybe she's well known in the US but I've never heard of her and I'm also over 30.

• Reply 11 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    World famous? I don't think so. Maybe she's well known in the US but I've never heard of her and I'm also over 30.

Yes, she is world famous. First as a model, then some acting. Her current work I was not familiar with.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yes, she is world famous. First as a model, then some acting. Her current work I was not familiar with.

World famous? If you say so mate. LMAO.