Samsung reclaims lead over Apple in global smartphone shipments during March quarter

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

I get what you are saying that Apple is making more money but the fact is that Samsung is still making $3B last quarter in profits and they made $5.63 billion this quarter. Samsung is still making a huge amount of money regardless of Apple making more. The whole point of a company is to make a profit. Samsung is making a ton of it. Apple is just making more. 

Not sure on your figures there.  The article I read indicated the recent Jan-March 2015 quarter was $5.6B USD operating profit, while the last quarter of 2014 (holiday quarter in western world) was $5B USD.  In terms of comparing to Apple, it is important to note that this is for the whole of Samsung Electronics, which includes 3 primary lines of business (IT and Mobile, Consumer Electronics, and Device Products [semi conductors and display panels]).

In recent times (since the slowdown in mobile), the best performing division from an OP perspective was DP, at ~$3B USD, and the IM (phones) has been between $2-2.6B USD.  So yes, Samsung is still getting some good profits (just over $5B average for last two quarters), but over half of that is from DP.  Overall operating profit % in the IM division in Q4 2014 (last one I could find an income statement for) was 7%, with 10% overall.  For comparison, Apple just did 23.3% profit in the last quarter.  That is a pretty big gap.

• Reply 22 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xixo View Post

er, they're making smartphone chips for Apple again?

/s

Thanks!

• Reply 23 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Come on AI, I expect this kind of article title from other sites, but here?

Samsung sold 99 million phones with an ASP of $200 (according to Samsung). That means those 83 million devices Samsung calls smartphones could have an ASP of no more than $240 (or so). Compared to $659 for Apple.

Most of those phones Samsung sold were junk phones for $100. If you do the math, you realize Samsung probably didn't even hit 15 million flagship phones. I'd say Apple selling 61 million flagships is a LITTLE more impressive than Samsung selling 15 million flagships and 68 million junk phones.

This kind of article is FULLY expected from this site when it comes to saying something positive about Samsung! I would have been surprised if this article had not been published by this site.

• Reply 24 of 79
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    AI should explain in more details what those market share get Samsung, profit wise; add * to the "lead over" or "top" wording.
  • Reply 25 of 79
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member

He also left out that shipments don't mean squat! And we all know that Samsung's sales are dropping like a rock. They can out ship all they want but if they don't sell anything who cares.

• Reply 26 of 79
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    brucemc wrote: »
    Not sure on your figures there.  The article I read indicated the recent Jan-March 2015 quarter was $5.6B USD operating profit, while the last quarter of 2014 (holiday quarter in western world) was $5B USD.

Actually you need to compare this YOY to Q1 of 2014 which is $7.8B.
  • Reply 27 of 79
    Giving out phones BOGO is not a silver lining. It's a red lining. I'm not sure why units shipped is a statement of success anyway? What about profit?
  • Reply 28 of 79
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Yes, because giving your shit away for free doesn't mean you're a market leader and it certainly isn't a sustainable business model.
  • Reply 29 of 79
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Samsung started selling S6 in early April.  The first quarter shipments definitely include large number of S6s and S6 Edges.  

Fine, but I'm still waiting for actual numbers. A "large number" compared to what? How much is a large number? I'd really like to know some factual information instead of generalizations. I'm not assuming you have those actual numbers and I actually wonder if Samsung even knows how many phones they actually sold. They can determine how many they shipped but getting valid numbers back on sales might be difficult when many are given away or "sold" for free as part of a cellular package or deal.

• Reply 30 of 79
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

I can't believe AI is falling for this marketing PR.

When Apple surpasses Samsung (there were rumors about it) no one said a thing.

Now this 'news' comes out right when Samsung shows a new decline in yoy sales.

• Reply 31 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Despite strong iPhone sales, Samsung was able to top Apple in terms of smartphone shipments during the March quarter…

…Samsung was estimated to have shipped 83.2 million smartphones, giving it a 24 percent marketshare.

I could believe those figures. Especially, when I know that they are still on that slow boat from, that's it, China.

They could have shipped them from Korea faster. Unfortunately, most of their previous shipments are still floating out there somewhere, i.e., at sea, on docks, warehouses, store shelves, etc. And based on actual usage as measured by web traffic, not in the hands of humans.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The company recently said that demand is exceeding supply, and the Galaxy S series has long enjoyed status as one of the most popular Android options.

Would like to see a reference to the recently comment.

As for the Galaxy S series [being]…one of the most popular Android optionsthe iPhone is the most popular Android option.

• Reply 32 of 79

No actually where I work most people are not allowed telephones with camera or other "high-end" features -- for these situations we still rely on the old-style phones.  For these types, we tend to purchase Nokia feature phones though!

• Reply 33 of 79
    512ke wrote: »
    Thank God someone could invent some good news about poor Samsung.

No mention in the story about the shipments of MS/Nokia phone sales... I understand they are flying off the shelves in Nepal...
  • Reply 34 of 79
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Fine, but I'm still waiting for actual numbers. A "large number" compared to what? How much is a large number? I'd really like to know some factual information instead of generalizations. I'm not assuming you have those actual numbers and I actually wonder if Samsung even knows how many phones they actually sold. They can determine how many they shipped but getting valid numbers back on sales might be difficult when many are given away or "sold" for free as part of a cellular package or deal.

Galaxy S6 is Samsung flagship  smartphone. Samsung probably shipped based on how many it sold S5 in second quarter last year.  

• Reply 35 of 79
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    That's great for Sammy. I'll wait for a press release on its actual numbers. <<crickets>>
  • Reply 36 of 79
    Come on AI, I expect this kind of article title from other sites, but here?

Samsung sold 99 million phones with an ASP of $200 (according to Samsung). That means those 83 million devices Samsung calls smartphones could have an ASP of no more than $240 (or so). Compared to $659 for Apple.

Most of those phones Samsung sold were junk phones for $100. If you do the math, you realize Samsung probably didn't even hit 15 million flagship phones. I'd say Apple selling 61 million flagships is a LITTLE more impressive than Samsung selling 15 million flagships and 68 million junk phones.
    Still though $3 billion is nothing to scoff at regsrdless of wheter or not the phones are junk
  • Reply 37 of 79
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

WSJ posted a news Apple Gains on Samsung in Smartphone Shipments.   But the author still erred saying "Meanwhile, Apple’s SHIPMENT (capitalization is mine) volumes surged 40% to 61.2 million smartphones."

• Reply 38 of 79

No actually where I work most people are not allowed telephones with camera or other "high-end" features -- for these situations we still rely on the old-style phones.  For these types, we tend to purchase Nokia feature phones though!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

FTFY.

• Reply 39 of 79
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    Still though $3 billion is nothing to scoff at regsrdless of wheter or not the phones are junk

Depends on how much of that profit truly goes to smartphones. Samdung makes lots of other stuff and they can easily tweak numbers to make smartphones look more profitable than other products. For example, sell internal Samdung components at a loss to the smartphone product line. Easily makes smartphone profits look better than they really.
  • Reply 40 of 79
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member

I can ship more smart phones than Apple...it doesn't mean anyone is buying them.