Review: Apple Watch is beautiful, but rough around the edges

Comments

• Reply 61 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stephenrobles View Post

That's just the notification coming from the phone. No replying, etc., just yet.

Bummer. Thanks for the info.

• Reply 62 of 146
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Thanks. Yeah, I'm not sure what the big deal is, there are only 2 buttons!, plus tap an force touch. If you don't over think it, and just try what seems logical, it doesn't take long to figure out. The only thing that maybe caused a bit of pause was realizing that you have to go back to the watch face to access notifications (swipe down) or glances (swipe up). But 95/100 times this is not an issue since most interactions occur after bringing up the watch from sleep, in which case the watch face automatically pops up.

John Gruber did say in one of his posts that people shouldn't over think this device. Maybe that's what some of the tech writers are doing.
  • Reply 63 of 146
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stephenrobles View Post

Haven't for me yet but I'll try a run by Starbucks later today. 

Not for me neither. The passbook card must be location aware. I know the walgreens one is (and did not come up for me the other day). Looking at starbucks card it might not be (the iPhone app is though)
  • Reply 64 of 146
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member

About that always open "Hey Siri" function: I had my iPhone on the charger next to my iMac when I played the the Siri "guided tour" on the Apple web page on the iMac. It was funny when Siri on my iPhone responded to the "hey Siri" commands in the video.

Made me think: when you see someone with an Apple Watch, say to them "hey Siri. <do something malicious or funny>" But of course Siri won't respond on the watch unless activated by raising the wearers wrist. But...as the review points out, now and then the display activates on its own...opening the Siri interface.

I see a public social interaction game coming up.

Reply quote with your favorite <malicious or funny> Siri command!

• Reply 65 of 146
    You gave it a 3.5.....
    Your write up was more complementary, sounder more like a 4.1
  • Reply 66 of 146
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peteo View Post

Here's my gripes:

3rd party apps take to long to load, if they do at all. Also have allot of issues with glances updating. I know the issues here are with the SDK (the transit app developer said apple changed how watch apps refreshed just before launch) 3rd party apps are limited. No use of crown, can not swipe to scroll in maps etc.. Hopefully WWDC will bring fully native 3rd party apps.

Hey Siri works about 70% of the time, when it finally launches sometimes it stops listening and you need to click on the mic icon. would like to have it send without needing to click send (maybe say Siri send during dictation)

a Passbook glance that updated to show the card of the place closest to you would be a god sent.

Theres no way to for a notification sent from your phone to open the apple watch app for more info/actions

Taptic engine could be stronger. Hard to tell different taps during directions (though i am learning) wish you could make different taps for different people (like you can on the iphone)

Can not see more than one month in the calendar app (Why?). Can not add an appointment (using dictation of course)

No notes app, no reminders app (umm hello)

Gmail, hangouts, wink, sonos 3rd party apps Please!

But you can send your heartbeat to friend or loved-one, as well as impromptu doodles. Clearly Apple had their priorities straight.

• Reply 67 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Lol. I don't envy you. I don't want to get your hopes up, but I have a friend who's order was a few weeks out, but then got a notification that it was shipping in a couple days. She ordered the sport I think.

its ok, the watch is supposed to mean you don't have to keep taking your phone out to check stuff, well these days I'm taking my phone out 4 times a day just to see if my watch is shipping! I wanted the sport, but by the time i woke up, sports were June. Not much to choose between them - they both look great.

• Reply 68 of 146
    jodyzjodyz Posts: 12member

I received my 38mm SS, Milanese Loop watch Friday and I was pleasantly surprised.  I expected heavy and cumbersome; I was greeted with comfortable and wearable. 

I enjoyed playing with the iPhone interface app, adjusting and re-adjusting a variety of available settings.  I don't anticipate using my watch as an iPhone replacement.  For me, it is a watch that happens to have some other capabilities as well.

I am enjoying the activity 'meter', as well as the hourly reminders ( a gentle tap on my wrist) to stand and move around.  Those are helpful features.  The heart rate measurement was surprisingly accurate when compared with a couple of other simultaneous measurements (finger on wrist; blood pressure cuff.)

I would have spent a few hundred dollars on a regular watch, so the cost of the watch didn't bother me too much.

I also do not anticipate adding many apps to my watch.  I would like to figure out how to lose some of the apps that appear on the face - I would prefer to streamline down to the four or five that I will find useful.

I plan on buying a modern buckle band whenever they become available - more for style than substance, because sometimes a situation calls for a different type of band.  Because the bands are so easily switched out, it seems like a fun way to accessorize.

I don't use SIRI - ever - as I find it way too 'HAL' when my devices talk to me.  I do not need that odyssey in my life!

All in all, I am enjoying my watch and the features I have used.  I'm certain I will expand my app use over time.  There is a learning curve to the watch, but it is more intuitive than I would have expected.

• Reply 69 of 146
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tokenuser View Post

Where is the "new" in the Apple Watch? What I am saying is that there is nothing new in the watch, and it is all proven technology from other devices. And did you read the part where I said that Apple's 1.0 is already a generation or two ahead of the competition?? The SoC is a great chip, but it is based on an earlier Ax variant (A5?). There is more going on there than the A5 had, and the improved manufacturing process (scale) is a leap forward ... that further proves my point that this is not a 1.0 device. Stop drinking the koolaid and look at it objectively. I am looking forward to my 42mm SS arriving within the next month, but I am not seeing it as a 1.0 device like much of the media. 

The "trees" are not new, but the "forest" certainly is.

You are not seeing the forest for the trees.

• Reply 70 of 146
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Huh? Rumors were 3,000 Apple employees were using the device. What is Apple supposed to do? Disable the device when someone is behind the wheel?

yeah all indoors doing all the fitness tracking and such. No not disable but know the difference between steering and raising your arm to look at it. If it had a GPS in it could see you were moving like drive and not turn on, but then again their would be times while driving you would want to look at it.
  • Reply 71 of 146
    Passbook on Watch works like iPhone in that you have a notification for location aware passes e.g. Starbucks card for a store you have favourited
  • Reply 72 of 146
    A very complete, well written review. Thanks for sharing. With my Sport edition i couldn't agree more w/ all that was said.
    The one thing I marvel at is how well the watch keeps its place on the wrist. How many times do you see other watch wearers fiddle with their watch to reposition back to a comfortable position on their wrist. Apple Watch stays in place and is comfy! Kudos to the team who created such a comfortable device.
  • Reply 73 of 146
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peteo View Post

Pretty much agree with most of the stuff in this article, though I think the device is a 4 out of 5 for me.

Here's my gripes:

3rd party apps take to long to load, if they do at all. Also have allot of issues with glances updating. I know the issues here are with the SDK (the transit app developer said apple changed how watch apps refreshed just before launch) 3rd party apps are limited. No use of crown, can not swipe to scroll in maps etc.. Hopefully WWDC will bring fully native 3rd party apps.

Hey Siri works about 70% of the time, when it finally launches sometimes it stops listening and you need to click on the mic icon. would like to have it send without needing to click send (maybe say Siri send during dictation)

a Passbook glance that updated to show the card of the place closest to you would be a god sent.

Theres no way to for a notification sent from your phone to open the apple watch app for more info/actions

Taptic engine could be stronger. Hard to tell different taps during directions (though i am learning) wish you could make different taps for different people (like you can on the iphone)

Can not see more than one month in the calendar app (Why?). Can not add an appointment (using dictation of course)

No notes app, no reminders app (umm hello)

Gmail, hangouts, wink, sonos 3rd party apps Please!

What I like:

Battery life has been good for me. Easly get a full day.

Love getting notifications on on my wrist (after filtering with the apple watch app) and replying to (some) them

Love the watch faces and the quick info items on them (like the weather)

Love the weather glances (when they update)

Love playing games, yes GAMES.. Check out Dungeon monsters, rune, black jack and video poker.

Like paying for stuff with the watch (apple pay and passbook)

So I tweet Kevin Lynch about Passbook and this is what he said:

Kevin Lynch ?@kevinlynch

@peteostro Pete, location based passes show up in the notification area like on iPhone -- swipe down from clock face to view

So i just got a call from apple about this issue. Engineering team asked me a bunch of questions. Looks like they are going to look into this. Also asked about the Passbook glance idea.

The walgreens passbook is location aware and shows up on my phone, but I do not get any notification on my watch (as kevin says it should). My Starbucks passbook does not look like its location aware. On my iphone the starbucks app icon comes up on the bottom left of the screen. When i swipe up it launches the starbucks iphone app.
  • Reply 74 of 146
    i wonder who is this "we" and "us" in this article as I see only one author. is it not something from the '80s? addressing oneself in plural form. margaret thatcher et al used to do that. this review is unreadable in that respect.
  • Reply 75 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Is this author joking? He needs a new device to keep his children from the other devices. It's either an unwillingly truthful testimony of our time, or simply insane. Or an example of incompetent parenting (before the merciful advent of the Apple Watch).

Whoah, hold on there cowboy. Don't think "insane" or "incompetent parenting" is anywhere near necessary.

The subtleties mentioned are indeed part of the equation.

And I think that's what many will experience as they use the watch more often.

The author did not infer that the watch has immediately made him a more competent parent....just sharing value in one of those instances.

Mellow out.

• Reply 76 of 146
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

3.5 rating is ridiculously low.

Apple Watch is best in class by far and should get a 4.0 rating at least.

These ratings should be in comparisson to the rest of the market, not some idealistic dream product.

This is like rating a Toyota Corolla a 3.5 because it does not have a 300hp engine and leather seats.  

Incorrect. It should have been 2 out of 5 AT BEST.

- Fugly;

- A solution in search of a problem;

- Expensive;

- Ridiculous battery life;

- Depends on the iPhone to function;

- CANNOT download/operate apps on its own;

- Using it drains iPhone battery as well;

- FUGLY.

In other words, a very generous review in my opinion. AI should be praised for its relative honesty, at least.

So as per my predictions, here is what we have under Cook's watch:

- A terrible decision to distribute dividends, which simply finished with Apple's reputation as a growth stock;

- A terrible decision to buy Dr. "Dre"'s Beats - what for, who the heck knows?

- A terrible decision in launching the new, beautiful, underpowered and port-less Cube-like proof of concept called MacBook;

- And finally, a terrible decision to launch the AWatch.

Now can we get back to launching new Macs, please? Otherwise, let's have Gil Amelio or Woz back on board, then. 

• Reply 77 of 146
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

Whoah, hold on there cowboy. Don't think "insane" or "incompetent parenting" is anywhere near necessary.

The subtleties mentioned are indeed part of the equation.

And I think that's what many will experience as they use the watch more often.

The author did not infer that the watch has immediately made him a more competent parent....just sharing value in one of those instances.

Mellow out.

Sure it doesn't make him a more competent parent. Otherwise this would not be necessary this way. But really, this kind of reasoning is weird.

• Reply 78 of 146
    Great review, just wish it came from an unbiased consumer. Since it came from a apple fanboy then I can only say 50% maybe true about this review. It lacks so many features that other smart watches have for a lot less money and they don't make you pay a primium for different bands and color.

When compared to the Gear S it falls terribly short. The apple watch doesn't receive or make calls unless your phone is within range. I am a avid runner so I am tired of running with my iPhone 6 plus on my arm or in my pocket. So I bought the Gear S and paired it to a Note 4 and OMG,this combo is deadly.

I was a die hard apple fan but figured out apple is overrated and over priced. The Gear S cost me 350.00 and the screen is truly a beast with the Gorilla 4 glass and can be used as a sleep monitor plus it has a UV sensor to tell you if you maybe in danger due to the UV sun rays.

The 2 inch Gear S screen crushes the 1 inch apple watch plus it is highly customizable and can put whatever wallpaper I want on the Gear S and add any apps I want too. Unlike apple already denying Fart apps, Seriously....

Apple Watch Battery = 200 mAh

Samsung Gear S = 300 with travel pack charger included 305 battery. Grand total 605 mAh

DO THE RESEARCH AND YOU'LL SAY WHY THE HELL WOULD I BUY THE Apple watch!
  • Reply 79 of 146
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

About that always open "Hey Siri" function: I had my iPhone on the charger next to my iMac when I played the the Siri "guided tour" on the Apple web page on the iMac. It was funny when Siri on my iPhone responded to the "hey Siri" commands in the video.

Made me think: when you see someone with an Apple Watch, say to them "hey Siri. <do something malicious or funny>" But of course Siri won't respond on the watch unless activated by raising the wearers wrist. But...as the review points out, now and then the display activates on its own...opening the Siri interface.

I see a public social interaction game coming up.

Reply quote with your favorite <malicious or funny> Siri command!

Open the pod bay doors, Siri.

• Reply 80 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thompr View Post

The "trees" are not new, but the "forest" certainly is.

You are not seeing the forest for the trees.

I see the trees. I see more of the forest than most could appreciate. The problem is that people are seeing this as a sapling (1.0). Apple transplanted fully grown sequoias to make this device. A 1.0 device implies that this is the first product. Its not. Apple have been heading to this device since I had my first MP110 (Newton). The form factor keeps improving. The UI evolves. But this is a natural branch of that lineage. Calling it a 1.0 device ignores that heritage and what has come before. Apple's 1.0 watch device is arguably the 6G iPod nano. Think (differently) about it.