Microsoft brings Visual Studio Code, .NET Core preview to Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited May 2015
Presenting at its Build developer conference on Wednesday, Microsoft announced the first version of Visual Studio compatible with Mac and Linux, Visual Studio Code.

The newly released software lets users develop code in .NET, JavaScript, and a number of other frameworks and languages. Microsoft described the app as "incredibly lightweight," but with features such as Git version tracking and full IntelliSense support. IntelliSense attempts to automatically detect problems like bad syntax or spelling mistakes.

Previously Visual Studio was a Windows-only platform. Its arrival on the Mac is reflective of Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella's policy towards cross-platform products, which has been more open than that of his predecessor, Steve Ballmer. Under Nadella's tenure, the company has for instance released a number of Office apps for iOS and Android.

Accompanying the launch is a preview release of .NET Core runtime distributions for Mac and Linux. Like Visual Studio, the .NET software framework was previously Windows-oriented. In November, however, Microsoft revealed plans to make .NET both cross-platform and open-source.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member

Like I would ever, EVER let ANYTHING written in .Net touch my Mac! That language is almost as bloated and horrifically slow as Java, and now Microshit wants to contaminate Mac's with it???!!!

• Reply 2 of 36
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Satya Nadella is impressing me more and more.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

"By downloading and using Visual Studio Code, you agree to the license terms and privacy statement for Visual Studio Code. When this tool crashes, we automatically collect crash dumps so we can figure out what went wrong. If you don't want to send your crash dumps to Microsoft, don't install this tool." [emphasis added]

The price of "free" here is that MS gets to see your code. Needless to say, along with Windows, this piece of MS software will not grace any of my computers.

• Reply 4 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

"By downloading and using Visual Studio Code, you agree to the license terms and privacy statement for Visual Studio Code. When this tool crashes, we automatically collect crash dumps so we can figure out what went wrong. If you don't want to send your crash dumps to Microsoft, don't install this tool." [emphasis added]

The price of "free" here is that MS gets to see your code. Needless to say, along with Windows, this piece of MS software will not grace any of my computers.

Microsoft probably doesn't want to see most people's code.

• Reply 5 of 36
    Sweeeeet! Visual Studio and .NET are very nice to work with. I'm happy about this!
  • Reply 6 of 36
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    Visual Studio on Mac, I never thought I would see that.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Like I would ever, EVER let ANYTHING written in .Net touch my Mac! That language is almost as bloated and horrifically slow as Java, and now Microshit wants to contaminate Mac's with it???!!!

Dunno if you're fishing me in, but I couldn't let this one pass...

.Net is not a language. Java is not horrifically slow. Both the MS and open source camps tend to produce bloated solutions...

• Reply 8 of 36
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I don't think it fair to criticize either .Net or Java in general without more detailed examples, because both platforms can be implemented in numerous modes. If you were to narrow the discussion to websites for example, both JSP and ASPX pages are some of the fastest you'll find in connecting to databases and dynamically building response pages. It is difficult to compare executable apps though, because you then introduce variations due to runtime performance when you target JVM or CLR. 'Bloated' is not a technical term so I cannot address that specifically. In my opinion you shouldn't let your emotional bias cloud your view on programming languages. Keep an open mind and do some controlled real world testing for comparison.

• Reply 9 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Agreed. Beautifully constructed lines of code ( example in C) can make me smile, sometimes with a little envy. Then there is the rest - without realizing it, I might have worked with some obfuscated C champs in my career.

• Reply 10 of 36

Hey, finally the cheesy MS components will hit the not so cheesy iOS. Oh happy days!  

• Reply 11 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Visual Studio on Mac, I never thought I would see that.

me neither, as in NEVER!  This is a good move for MS. It make it simpler to write for multiple platform apps of course. Im tired of some stuff still not being available on a Mac.

• Reply 12 of 36
    The Microsoft IDE has been light years ahead of the MAC development tools for over a decade. This is actually a good thing for both Apple and Microsoft
  • Reply 13 of 36

"Light years ahead of the MAC development for over a decade"....Hm time warp?

• Reply 14 of 36
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member

This is nothing more than Microsoft's fork of https://atom.io/

• Reply 15 of 36
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Java is apparently fast enough to power all of Apple's web properties.

• Reply 16 of 36
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Amazing how much influence and leverage the Mac platform has, even from just a few years ago. Microsoft knows where the money is.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member

I guess this means BSOD will now be a universal, cross platform app.

Color me giddy with unbridled excitement ...

or just color me blue. 

• Reply 18 of 36

This is important.  > mono .net is what power all of the unity games.  But the garbage collector sucks in the mono version.  The microsoft version is higher performance.

Who knows if unity will adopt the microsft net kernel now that it is cross platform, but it would make me happy.

Also visual studio is a powerful programming environment that i payed a lot of money to use.  Being able to edit on mac with it is great.

• Reply 19 of 36
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClementineOrange View Post

This is important.  > mono .net is what power all of the unity games.  But the garbage collector sucks in the mono version.  The microsoft version is higher performance.

Who knows if unity will adopt the microsft net kernel now that it is cross platform, but it would make me happy.

Also visual studio is a powerful programming environment that i payed a lot of money to use.  Being able to edit on mac with it is great.

Yeah, Visual Studio with Resharper is just about unbeatable

• Reply 20 of 36
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Even if MS doesn't want to see people's code, the mere fact that proprietary code might be sent to MS and the disposition of that information is out of the developer's hands creates a potential privacy/security/business/investment issue. No one with code they care about protecting should use this tool.