Samsung reclaims lead over Apple in global smartphone shipments during March quarter

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Galaxy S6 is Samsung flagship  smartphone. Samsung probably shipped based on how many it sold S5 in second quarter last year.  

There's that specific term again, "probably." Everyone can guess how many products anyone shipped or sold. I want to know numbers, not guesses. Samsung doesn't release shipping or sales information, the guesses are coming from Strategy Analytics, whoever they are. Apple releases sales information at their quarterly financial calls so we have a much better idea about their product "sales."

As for your comment about the number of S5 models sold, can you point me to a Samsung financial posting that actually states how many phones they sold (not just shipped)? I want the information from Samsung, not from someone like Strategy Analytics who doesn't have accurate information. I really would like to know how many phones of each type Samsung sold and if you have access to that information, please present it.

• Reply 42 of 79

So, let me make sure I understand the rules to this whole competition/game thing. I'm an iPhone user, so when Apple sells more, then I'm a winner, but when Samsung sells more, I'm a loser. Right?

My follow up question is: What can I trade my winner status for when Apple sells more, and how shameful should I act or feel when I'm a loser and Samsung is selling more? ;-)

• Reply 43 of 79
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

I’m an addicted iFanboy and have been since 1982 (Apple II+) but even I am getting tired of my own bias. I’m getting tired of the “mine is bigger than yours” arguments from both sides. Revenue, market cap, EPS, P/E ratios, sales, shipments, spec sheets, YouTube videos, Android peeing on iOS, analyst’s predictions of doom for either side. 

I am going to try real hard to just enjoy my Apple products, keep an open mind if something better were to come along, live and let live, and not care who is on top at the moment.

I will try, I will try, I will try...

• Reply 44 of 79
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

There's that specific term again, "probably." Everyone can guess how many products anyone shipped or sold. I want to know numbers, not guesses. Samsung doesn't release shipping or sales information, the guesses are coming from Strategy Analytics, whoever they are. Apple releases sales information at their quarterly financial calls so we have a much better idea about their product "sales."

As for your comment about the number of S5 models sold, can you point me to a Samsung financial posting that actually states how many phones they sold (not just shipped)? I want the information from Samsung, not from someone like Strategy Analytics who doesn't have accurate information. I really would like to know how many phones of each type Samsung sold and if you have access to that information, please present it.

I believe Strategy Analytics has the actual shipped numbers.  They won't release the number for specific models.  I think you might be able to get it by paying them.

For the real sales number for S5, there are many news about them.  I think you can find out by searching for news.  

• Reply 45 of 79
    On this article, I feel like it should include the full story and not the news report that many others are giving, and mention that the bulk of Samsungs shipments are from inexpensive phones. Phones that people buy because they don't care or don't have enough money. We know that, but half the people that click on the story won't know that. That's your bread and butter, that's how you'll increase site traffic, is by giving your unique viewpoint that you can't get anywhere else.
  • Reply 46 of 79
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

So, let me make sure I understand the rules to this whole competition/game thing. I'm an iPhone user, so when Apple sells more, then I'm a winner, but when Samsung sells more, I'm a loser. Right?

My follow up question is: What can I trade my winner status for when Apple sells more, and how shameful should I act or feel when I'm a loser and Samsung is selling more? ;-)

It's not about being an iPhone user. It is about being an Apple shareholder. In that case, you can exchange your winner status for cash ;-)

(though smart people look at metrics like profit and customer satisfaction rather than shipments to determine winner status.)

• Reply 47 of 79
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xixo View Post

You left out the part about massive financial losses and vaporizing margins...

Indeed and that's the story.

• Reply 48 of 79
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

What kind of god forsaken place do you work in? 

Some kind of criminal organization?

Possibly close: defense related industry?

Engineer friend at Boeing was under similar restrictions for years, though now she has a smartphone.

• Reply 49 of 79
    Shipments are the exact same thing as sales, right? If you want to report accurately, how about showing the actual sales instead of shipments. It's not like Samsung would cheat and stuff the channel to get some positive news. Oh right, it is Samsung we are talking about; serial patent infringer, specification forger, briber, etc.
  • Reply 50 of 79
    Quote:

:D No most of our employees are local nationals (on a military base overseas), who aren't allowed any feature rich phones!

• Reply 51 of 79
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post

Shipments aren't sales.

Yes, you are right.

Apple shipped 61.6 Mio. iPhones and sold 60.6 Mio. iPhones.

Are you happier now?

• Reply 52 of 79
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smalM View Post

Yes, you are right.

Apple shipped 61.6 Mio. iPhones and sold 60.6 Mio. iPhones.

Are you happier now?

From https://www.apple.com/pr/pdf/q2fy15datasum.pdf

"Units in thousands, Revenue in millions"

It doesn't say shipments or sales on their chart, which I am interpreting as sales so you don't have to apologize for your 61.6M (actually 61.7M) iPhones sold.

@tzeshan  Easy to find actual sales numbers at Apple. 

Samsung's 2015 Q1 statement, I didn't find any sales numbers other than revenue. I'm not using hearsay numbers from non-Samsung websites.

http://www.samsung.com/us/aboutsamsung/ir/ireventpresentations/earningsrelease/downloads/2012/20150429_conference_eng.pdf

"Smartphone: Shipments increased QoQ led by mid to low-end products, ASP declined QoQ"

• Reply 53 of 79
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smaceslin View Post

There is still a market for "feature" phones.  Many people do not want or need smartphone features -- just the ability to make and receive phone calls.

Feature Phones?...yes, though not sure how to define "many".

Interestingly, if Apple threw a sim card into the Appe Watch...PRESTO...a (wonderful) feature phone appears!

...remove the band, attach some cool protective cover, bring the price down to $200.

Would be great for consumers but probably not great for Apple shareholders.

• Reply 54 of 79
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xixo View Post

You left out the part about massive financial losses and vaporizing margins...

Yup..."ONLY" 39% drop in profit. It's just a BS market share in which Samsung shipped mostly junks to third world countries. Only current and 2 previous flagships should count which means GS4-6 and Note lines. Yeah, show me how many of these Samsung actually sold in last quarter.

• Reply 55 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

I get what you are saying that Apple is making more money but the fact is that Samsung is still making $3B last quarter in profits and they made $5.63 billion this quarter. Samsung is still making a huge amount of money regardless of Apple making more. The whole point of a company is to make a profit. Samsung is making a ton of it. Apple is just making more. 

Wrong, the whole point is to beat the previous earning to stop losing the company value/stock prices. Your argument is flaw. To you, Samsung will be still okay if it makes only $1 million profit this quarter or Apple just make $5 million? What about the company value drops like $10 billion due to the drop in earning?

• Reply 56 of 79
    Quote:

Sog, actually Lockheed Martin also ban the smartphones in certain areas in the company.

• Reply 57 of 79
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

If you want the facts surrounding this issue, here you go:  www.fortune.com/2015/04/29/chart-of-the-day-apple-pulls-away-from-samsung-mobile/

Samsung is in a death spiral compared to Apple.

• Reply 58 of 79
    disturbiadisturbia Posts: 563member

Said ... Strategy Analytics!!

LMAO :smokey:

• Reply 59 of 79
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    rob53 wrote: »
    actually 61.7M
    The chart you quoted is saying 61.17M not 61.7M. ;)
  • Reply 60 of 79
    eldernormeldernorm Posts: 232member
    "Samsung was able to top Apple in terms of smartphone shipments during the March quarter and reclaim market leadership,"

Samsung wins market share lead at a cost of losing 40% of its profit. Very smart business decision.