Apple Watch rollout delayed by defective Taptic Engine vibrator

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited May 2015
A report on Wednesday claims Apple discovered a serious flaw in certain vibrator mechanisms that power Apple Watch's Taptic Engine, prompting completed units to be scrapped just prior to launch.

Citing sources familiar with the matter, The Wall Street Journal reports an unknown number of haptic feedback motors built by AAC Technologies Holdings broke down during reliability testing shortly after mass production of Apple Watch kicked off in February. AAC is one of only two suppliers responsible for the critical Taptic Engine part, Apple's branded haptic feedback technology for Apple Watch.

The report lines up with statements from noted KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who earlier this month alluded to restricted supply of Taptic Engine parts from AAC. AAC is based in Hong Kong, but the component in question is believed to come out of a factory in Shenzhen, China.

"Our team is working to fill orders as quickly as possible based on available supply and the order in which they were received," Apple said. "We know many customers are still facing long lead times and we appreciate their patience."

Since discovering the flaw, Apple has moved nearly all production to its second supplier, Japanese company Nidec Corp. It is unclear how long it will take Nidec to ramp up manufacturing to equalize the deficit.

Sources said Apple instructed certain Apple Watch suppliers to slow production until June without offering further explanation.

The Taptic Engine is powered by a custom linear resonant actuator that produces small vibrations by moving a mass back and forth along a single axis. Unlike rotating mass vibrators commonly used in older cellphone applications, LRAs can be manipulated to provide users with different sensations, from light taps to strong continuous rumbles.

To make up for the shortfall in parts inventory, which has seen Apple Watch demand far outstrip supply, Apple is reportedly considering adding another assembler to help current partner Quanta Computer. Sources said Foxconn recently began Apple Watch production testing, though the firm is not expected to begin manufacturing until late 2015.

Apple Watch preorders went up on April 10, though many customers looking to buy a launch day model went away disappointed as initial stock sold out within minutes. As it stands, all Apple Watch models are backordered, with estimated shipping dates ranging from a couple weeks to months.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member

Well maybe I'll get the extended warranty after all...

• Reply 2 of 73
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    In before "evidence of Apple's deteriorating QA!!"

If that was the case, Apple would have let these get shipped, not scrapped them.
  • Reply 3 of 73
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    CNBC reporting this as breaking news, Reuters now picking up on it. And the stock down over 1% after hours.
  • Reply 4 of 73
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

Let me guess... from Ming Chi Kuo?

• Reply 5 of 73
    slurpy wrote: »

If that was the case, Apple would have let these get shipped, not scrapped them.

Apple needs to make sure this doesn't get spun into a recall story. Don't want current owners thinking their device is faulty.
  • Reply 7 of 73
    rogifan wrote: »
    Apple needs to make sure this doesn't get spun into a recall story. Don't want current owners thinking their device is faulty.

Not as long as I get mine with a Japanese-sourced Taptic Engine.
  • Reply 8 of 73
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Agreed! I'm very glad to read this actually, just proves even more that Apple's QA is the best it's been, as any other company would've just let this go out for the sake of claiming "we're shipping tons into the channels!" vs caring about customers getting a good, quality product!

Mine is due in June, so pretty sure I'll get one with the corrected parts.

• Reply 9 of 73
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

At the very least they would have used them for spare parts or maybe in-store demos which they will need for other countries once rolled out.

Apple Watch Try-On Appointments Begin Today, and We Have Photos 

• Reply 10 of 73
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

If people are long on stocks they own, why do they worry about what someone says or is reported day to day?

And people want their stock prices to go up, but are upset when they are low when they are likely cheaper to buy.

• Reply 11 of 73
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    More bullshit from Ming what's his name.
  • Reply 12 of 73
    gilly33 wrote: »

Um, this is from the WSJ.
  • Reply 13 of 73
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Um, this is from the WSJ.

Where I come from we call it...

• Reply 14 of 73
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    gilly33 wrote: »
    Recall that my first review unit had a bum taptic engine — it worked when I first started using it, but struck me as weak. By the end of the first day it wasn’t working at all, and Apple supplied me with a second watch the next day. I’ve also heard from at least one DF reader whose Apple Watch Sport had a non-functioning taptic engine (he got it replaced at his local Apple Store). So some of these have made it out of the factories and into the wild.

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2015/04/29/taptic-engine-wsj
  • Reply 15 of 73
    planktonplankton Posts: 108member

Here in Japan, we have an expression to describe cheap low-quality Chinese electronics that flood the backstreets of Akihabara—chugomi (Chinese rubbish). I hope Apple is not forced by volume requirements to switch to the lowest-cost Chinese parts suppliers, because it will come back to bite them in the arse.

Now I'm glad my Apple Watch delivery is still late May!

• Reply 16 of 73
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    [B]Mazda 3s[/B],

Thanks, I was going to mention Gruber. Didn't know he has a post on it already.

Okay, all you supply-manipulation theorists who were going on and on about how Tim hates inventory, we want to serve you your pie now.
  • Reply 17 of 73
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by plankton View Post

Here in Japan, we have an expression to describe cheap low-quality Chinese electronics that flood the backstreets of Akihabara—chugomi (Chinese rubbish). I hope Apple is not forced by volume requirements to switch to the lowest-cost Chinese parts suppliers, because it will come back to bite them in the arse.

Now I'm glad my Apple Watch delivery is still late May!

What is getting lost amid the clamor to spread misinformation about Apple (not in the post here), is that the rollout was "slowed" prior to the release of the Apple Watch. It is not an issue in the released product.

• Reply 18 of 73
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peteo View Post

actually this is probably what is effecting the stock

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/04/29/eu-scrutiny-of-irish-tax-deals-could-have-material-impact-on-apple-company-says

I hope the stock drops to $125 so I can buy another 100 shares. I have my money in the account ready for it.

• Reply 19 of 73
    emoeller wrote: »
    Well maybe I'll get the extended warranty after all...

Always good to get AppleCare. Purchase with AMEX and AMEX extends one years past warranty you buy. So you get 3 years total (2 past one year manufacturer)

Also, I am returning mine and my wife's. Absolutely wonderful product. After five days though, I found it hard to justify the spend right now. Money is tight. However I will say, I was not glued or hostage to my phone anymore and see nothing but success ahead for this category of device. We will be saving for v.2.0.
  • Reply 20 of 73
    Welp I think Apple may have to say something now. Millions of people visit Drudge Report every day. The last thing Apple needs is consumers thinking the Watches they're shipping are defective.

[IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/55fhw4.jpg[/IMG]