Microsoft brings Visual Studio Code, .NET Core preview to Mac

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

"By downloading and using Visual Studio Code, you agree to the license terms and privacy statement for Visual Studio Code. When this tool crashes, we automatically collect crash dumps so we can figure out what went wrong. If you don't want to send your crash dumps to Microsoft, don't install this tool." [emphasis added]

The price of "free" here is that MS gets to see your code. Needless to say, along with Windows, this piece of MS software will not grace any of my computers.

Why would I be worried about a visual studio crash dump going to Microsoft? They're just looking for crash information on VS crashes. Sure, whatever was in the heap is going to be sent to MS, but that's not going to be pure code, and likely not code at all, unless the parser crashes to create the dump.

• Reply 22 of 36
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member

I still fail to see why people are so in love with Visual Studio.  It's a decent IDE, but so is Xcode.  And given my poor experience with other Microsoft software on Mac (Office, Lync, etc), I'm not holding my breath on the quality.

• Reply 23 of 36
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Why would I be worried about a visual studio crash dump going to Microsoft? They're just looking for crash information on VS crashes. Sure, whatever was in the heap is going to be sent to MS, but that's not going to be pure code, and likely not code at all, unless the parser crashes to create the dump.

You don't know what's in the dump! The dump will likely contain human readable text ("pure code"). Parsing is an integral part of any code editor. If the editor crashes, Microsoft will want to know why. The user's code will be sent to Microsoft, kept on file indefinitely, under who-knows-what security, for browsing by who-knows?

• Reply 24 of 36
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

You don't know what's in the dump! The dump will likely contain human readable text ("pure code"). Parsing is an integral part of any code editor. If the editor crashes, Microsoft will want to know why. The user's code will be sent to Microsoft, kept on file indefinitely, under who-knows-what security, for browsing by who-knows?

Sorry, sometimes I forget all the paranoia on AI.

Yeah, it's possible. The only parser crashes I've ever heard of were with extremely large files being parsed by intellisense. You could easily block this crash dump from going anywhere with a firewall to answer any remaining concerns.

• Reply 25 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Sorry, sometimes I forget all the paranoia on AI.

haha.  I really want to see this magical source code file that's going to ruin a company if someone else gets ahold of it.  Most software worth its salt is made up of hundreds of source code files that are interdependent.  So getting one of them out of context isn't going to be of much value to anyone.

• Reply 26 of 36
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    .Net aka Mono is a fantastic component of the excellent Unity game engine. I wouldn't mind seeing Visual Studio Code come to Unity for Mac--and I predict it's likely, since there have been a number of Unity-Microsoft initiatives recently announced.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Satya Nadella is impressing me more and more.

He's a "glass of cool water" compared to Ballmer, that's for sure.

• Reply 28 of 36
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Nooooooooo! Keep that .NET crap out of our system! There's good reason why even some major corporations have dumped this turd from their development programs.
  • Reply 29 of 36

This can only ever be a good thing. The people thinking this is a dumb idea are themselves dumb for thinking that.

Imagine applications designed for Windows running natively in OS X without the need for virtual machines or wrappers like Wine.

Imagine a world where applications that would never have come to the Mac platform can come at the same time as the Mac with very little effort if any at all.

Imagine a world where Mac apps and Windows apps talk to each other natively without delayed code causing file compatibility issues.

Imagine a world where if MS does things right by wrapping .NET code in Mac frameworks we see applications running on the Mac faster than Windows apps running Windows.

MS knowns that if they don't become cross platform they will die simply because no one is buying Windows much anymore. It's really only corporations that are buying Windows PCs. But if the corporates leave then MS is dead. This .NET path will literally ensure MS' survival and if they execute it well will bring us full circle to the 80's where MS only developed software for the Mac. :-)

Win win for everyone... except the Windows lovers who by rights probably need a bullet in the head anyway.

• Reply 30 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

I still fail to see why people are so in love with Visual Studio.  It's a decent IDE, but so is Xcode.  And given my poor experience with other Microsoft software on Mac (Office, Lync, etc), I'm not holding my breath on the quality.

I don't love Visual Studio, but it is what I earn my money on, so I am happy it is coming to the Mac. That means I do not have to depend on a Virtual Machine, a Bootcamp partition or an Amazon Workspace. 

I have downloaded it and will give it a spin over the weekend.

• Reply 31 of 36
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Visual Studio is an excellent IDE on Windows. I haven't tried the Mac version yet but it looks a bit bare bones in the screenshot, hopefully not.

• Reply 32 of 36
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

haha.  I really want to see this magical source code file that's going to ruin a company if someone else gets ahold of it.  Most software worth its salt is made up of hundreds of source code files that are interdependent.  So getting one of them out of context isn't going to be of much value to anyone.

In some cases, mere template and datatypes can convey much of what's needed to reverse engineer a product (or key elements of it). This information can be gleaned from a single source file or portion thereof, yet a single dump from Microsoft's tool might include many source files. If you don't understand the need for secrecy in product development, then you're not developing (or investing) in a competitive field. And if you're wondering why Microsoft would care, consider that it has an interest in growing markets and supporting OSS that runs on Microsoft platforms--software that may compete with a private effort.

• Reply 33 of 36
    Quote:

In some cases, mere template and datatypes can convey much of what's needed to reverse engineer a product (or key elements of it). This information can be gleaned from a single source file or portion thereof, yet a single dump from Microsoft's tool might include many source files. If you don't understand the need for secrecy in product development, then you're not developing (or investing) in a competitive field. And if you're wondering why Microsoft would care, consider that it has an interest in growing markets and supporting OSS that runs on Microsoft platforms--software that may compete with a private effort.

I can guarantee that Microsoft could learn more about competitive software just by searching and analyzing stackoverflow than they would by harvesting and analyzing random crash dumps.

• Reply 34 of 36
    Come on people, it is [B]NOT[/B] Visual Studio the IDE. It is a code editor just like Notepad++ or Sublime with Intellisense and Autocomplete thrown in.

VSCode is built with TypeScript and Electron.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    rashomonrashomon Posts: 1member

Nobody forces you to write .NET-based code in VS. Use Visual Studio Code for programming in Objective-C, C++, Java, JavaScript, etc.. After all, it's a general-purpose IDE. 

• Reply 36 of 36

Your posted news here is so useful. Thanks for sharing. Do best.