What makes a Switcher switch?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
let's put all real, false, vague or clear rumors aside and ponder the question:

"What specs do Macs need from a switcher's point of view?"

It seems a lot of switchers found the lack of MHz not a problem already, but what about when you want to double your marketshare?

Wouldn't Apple want machines that compare favorable to PC's when you see the just specs, like you might see in a store?

It would seem reasonable for Apple to forget about debunking the MHz myth, which they have been feeding with the deepening of the pipelines in current G4's themselves.

To compare to PC's Macs would need:

- 2Ghz+ (either one or more processors).

- fast mobo

- DDR ram

- 54mb Airport

- DVD+RW (?)

- killer high end graphics

- multibutton and scrolling mouse

In order to win, Macs could use:

- dual display support across the board (like it is now)

- drawing tablets standard across the board (apparently not wacom)

- killer case.

The current case was introduced in january 1999. It is ancient. It is loud. it is huge. it does not match the TiBook and xServe. Dunno about the specs, but another QS case would most certainly make my money stay in my pocket.

BTW. sure am curious about what kind of advertisments we will be getting in Europe...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    jasonppjasonpp Posts: 308member
    Bundle Office

lower prices

better resolution screens
  • Reply 2 of 12
    nemnem Posts: 45member
    My guess is the price/performance ratio in the entrylevel comps is most important.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Off to General Discussion you go in 5...4..3...
  • Reply 4 of 12
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    2... 1....

BTW, considering that the existing switchers are falling in love with iBooks, I don't think specs are the main issue...
  • Reply 5 of 12
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    I just switched. My iMac is still on the way but I cannot wait.

What made me switch ?

- OS X (Sick of Windows, though will still have to use Windows at work)

- DVD R

- range of free i tools

- design, design design

- above all user inputs from forums like this and the switch Ads.

Bundling office at a lower cost might help people switch but if Apple could show a comparison of common every tasks on win XP and how simpler it is under OS X, I think it will make more people switch.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Well, since i'm going to switch, i can tell you that if you don't do games and want a laptop, Apple has no competition. Plus, i'm a *nix guy, so MacOS X is the great thing (tm)(c)(r) for me.

Granted, i'm not the average switcher as seen in the ads, but i think that geeks are a very useful population for apple, since they are the one who give advice to new computer buyers ...
  • Reply 7 of 12
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    What makes a Switcher switch?

Certainly not those "switch" ads.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    I have a friend that is not exactly a convert...as he has been using Macs and PCs forever, and has both. One of the biggest reasons he prefers Macs is that you don't have to go through so much hell just to keep it in working order. Generally, it just crashes every once in a while and boots right back up (he has a 7200/120 using 9.) Also, he says the interface makes much more sense and the OS is not constantly fighting with him. His parents bought a Dell PIII 700 which is a lot faster than his 7200 w/14.4k modem, so he uses that for games/internet related stuff. But whenever he can he resorts to the Mac. Right now, he is saving up money from working at Subway to buy a new one.

What makes a switcher switch? Depends, different strokes for different folks. IMO, having experience with both machines gives you a better idea of which you prefer, and both I and my friend go for the Mac.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    woozlewoozle Posts: 64member
    Switching...

I really want to buy a Mac, but...

I have no choice but to get a PowerMac.

If the iMac had a higher res screen ( 1280x960 ) or, preferably, supported dual head with its vga out, then it would be an easy choice to get one.

Lacking those qualities I have to look at a PMac.

The problem with the Pmacs is that they dont have good value for money.

To fix that Apple only has to do one of two things,

a) offer a bare bones system, just like they used to, no ram, no drives, let the user fill it up.

I know Apple make a lot of money off of those value added components, so I dont see them going that way.

b) Make all the PMacs dual processor, at the same price points.

I have no issues with the MHz speed of the Mac, it is good enough. But having owned a dual pentium, I also appreciate the value of having a system with two processors. It is really nice.

I am not going to buy another single processor desktop again ( unless it was an iMac - see above ). I can afford to get a dual Athlon, moslty because I can leverage my existing components in the system.

I cannot afford a DP PMac, it's insanely expensive.

I made my wife buy an iBook, and OS X really is a fantastic system, but on its own it just isnt enough.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    buisbuis Posts: 30member
    Very interesting point: any switcher would already own a monitor.

The ideal Switch Mac would be an up to date PowerMac G4 Cube.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    "the horrid little machines"
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I am a switcher.

I always wanted to buy a Mac, but price was an issue and compatibility.

When the first iMac came out I wanted to buy it but instead I bought a new PC (I always build it myself) because I already used pc's.

The reason why I switched was the iMac G4 and Mac Os X.

I still have pc's but I do almost everything on the mac. I have a tvcard in my pc, so my pc is mostly a tv.

I am very glad I switched, Mac Os X is really much easier than XP.