Shipping dates for 42MM Apple Watch, Apple Watch Sport slip to July worldwide

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited May 2015
Apple's online store in the U.S. -- alongside storefronts in Europe and Asia -- is now showing July shipping estimates for 42-millimeter stainless steel and aluminum Watch models, checks on Friday revealed.

AppleInsider observed identical delays at Apple's websites for regions like Germany, Japan, Hong Kong, mainland China, and the United Kingdom. The Australian website is still quoting a June timeframe, but could soon follow suit.

38-millimeter and all Edition Watches typically remain listed as shipping in June, regardless of country. In some places, however, including the UK and Germany, 38-millimeter models can potentially ship as quickly as 2 to 3 weeks.

The discrepancies between 38- and 42-millimeter orders may suggest that the latter is the more popular size overall. Some critics have complained that 38 millimeters is too small, even on skinnier wrists.

Despite the July target, many new Watch orders may still arrive in June. Apple has already shipped a number of orders that were previously quoted as coming in late May or early June, which could mean that Apple is simply being conservative with estimates to avoid disappointing shoppers.

On Wednesday the Wall Street Journal reported that production problems with the Taptic Engine could be responsible for the limited quantity of Watches in circulation. Apple has allegedly instructed some Watch suppliers to slow production until June, which is also when the device might be available directly from Apple Stores and could reach more countries.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 85
    slprescottslprescott Posts: 765member
    Regarding: "Some critics have complained that 38 millimeters is too small, even on skinnier wrists."

I originally planned to get the 38mm model, but I found the text too hard to read. While the difference between 38 vs. 42 seems small, my eyes found the difference big enough to have a material impact on the legibility of text. (My eyes are 50 years old. Younger people may have a different experience!)
  • Reply 2 of 85
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    slprescott wrote: »
    Regarding: "Some critics have complained that 38 millimeters is too small, even on skinnier wrists."

I originally planned to get the 38mm model, but I found the text too hard to read. While the difference between 38 vs. 42 seems small, my eyes found the difference big enough to have a material impact on the legibility of text. (My eyes are 50 years old. Younger people may have a different experience!)

Very true experience veries! I got the 42 mm for myself and it was the right size for me, and I ordered the 38mm for my wife (her wrist is smaller) 38 mm was just right. 38 mm looks very small next to 42, but for good eyes it is still very useable. 42 mm can be a little big for some people.
  • Reply 3 of 85

The APPLE Pre-Order process a complete fail!!! Without incentivizing preorder customers with a discount or a guaranteed ship date... the pre-order process simply a tool for hype and for APPLE to be able to adjust manufacturing by having a 2 week heads up.

A company that once put the customer first, now plays games with "selective shipping" and poorly managed production/logistics.

If demand were so overwhelming on the date of April 10th, you would think plants cranked and running 24/7...  

I will never again pre-order an Apple product! I ordered in the first 21 minutes and have a mid to late June ship date.

• Reply 4 of 85

Actual selling prices on eBay right now are crazy. mine is still 'processing' #frustrating

• Reply 5 of 85
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    "Some critics have complained..."

I think it's time we stopped repeating their complaints; just because it's not right for YOU doesn't mean it isn't right for ANYONE. The 38mm is essential for the watch to reach a mainstream (non-geek) audience. It's looks terrific gracing the cover of fashion magazines in a way that Samsung's hamfisted geek braclet to various Android Wear-based "hockey pucks" can only dream about.
  • Reply 6 of 85
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member

RE: "Some critics have complained..."

I'd bet anything they're all men.

• Reply 7 of 85
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slprescott View Post

I've got 66 year old eyes.

And eyeglasses.... Hence I've often been puzzled by that "older eyes" thing. That's what corrective lenses are for after all, at least in my opinion. But then I have trouble reading freeway signs, quite a lot larger than any watch or phone face, without my glasses. YMMV

• Reply 8 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"Some critics have complained..."

I think it's time we stopped repeating their complaints; just because it's not right for YOU doesn't mean it isn't right for ANYONE. The 38mm is essential for the watch to reach a mainstream (non-geek) audience. It's looks terrific gracing the cover of fashion magazines in a way that Samsung's hamfisted geek braclet to various Android Wear-based "hockey pucks" can only dream about.

That's one of those weasely-phrases. "Some people saying you're a total d-bag, how would you respond to those people?"

Large-faced watches have been especially popular over the last decade. Just not my style. I have a 170mm wrist, and I felt the 38mm was plenty conspicuous at my try-on on day one. I used to wear a super thin watch, so comparatively the case looked thick. Getting the 38mm wouldn't reduce the thickness, but it would at least reduce the volume, so I went with that.

• Reply 9 of 85
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Will be ordering soon. Might as well get something cool.
  • Reply 10 of 85
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Mine's still June :(

SS, 42 mm, Black and Black link.

• Reply 11 of 85
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Clearly, no one wants these watches. Looks like trolls like BF were right- sadly, a catastrophic failure that nobody will buy. 

• Reply 12 of 85
    redgiboredgibo Posts: 1member
    I have my 42mm on date of release. I bought a Steel with classic leather strap. I also bought white Sport band and Steel bracelet. I wanted differences in look. My wrist is 185mm and the 42mm is good fit. I went in and tried on the 38mm and was happy I went bigger which suits. I think your eyes will get used to the size however the slightly bigger real estate is easier to see and manoeuvre.

I still can't believe the demand and in sections of the media it is being touting as a poor seller. I think that ? will do what they did to the tablet market and it will dwindle off. Smart wearable tech is way forward.

First impressions -
    Despite the money spent I love it. Is it worth the money? Is a Rolex? You pay for what you get.
    It's geeky, trendy and cool and frivolous all at the same time. Did I need one? No absolutely not - I wanted one.
    It has limitations and if you know how to use those limits to your advantage then you'll be happy ????
  • Reply 13 of 85
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Massive demand.

Nope. Terrible supply chain management.

• Reply 14 of 85
    Mine originally said June ship date, now:

Processing Items Available to ship: 4-6 weeks
    Delivers: May 29 - Jun 11 by Standard Shipping
    Cancel Items
  • Reply 15 of 85
    My UK order still says shipping June.
  • Reply 16 of 85
    That's one of those weasely-phrases. "Some people saying you're a total d-bag, how would you respond to those people?"

Large-faced watches have been especially popular over the last decade. Just not my style. I have a 170mm wrist, and I felt the 38mm was plenty conspicuous at my try-on on day one. I used to wear a super thin watch, so comparatively the case looked thick. Getting the 38mm wouldn't reduce the thickness, but it would at least reduce the volume, so I went with that.

Yes, Wikipedia refers to the "some people complain" phrase as an example of weasel words. It is not allowed in their articles. Because, you know, standards.
  • Reply 17 of 85
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member

My stainless 42mm was delivered by UPS today.

I actually missed it yesterday but got it today on the second delivery attempt.

Sweet!

• Reply 18 of 85
    slurpy wrote: »
    Clearly, no one wants these watches. Looks like trolls like BF were right- sadly, a catastrophic failure that nobody will buy. 

We should have listened to the naysayers from the UK. Apple should just keep making Macs that are legacy port-laden PC clones, fire Jony Ive for his obsession with thinness, and stay out of the future.
  • Reply 19 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

My stainless 42mm was delivered by UPS today.

I actually missed it yesterday but got it today on the second delivery attempt.

Sweet!

may i ask how many minutes or hours after launch did you place your order?

• Reply 20 of 85
    My UK order still says shipping June.

I should point out that "shipping" means something different here than when Samsung uses it to brag about its numbers.