Hands-on with alleged 'iPad Pro' case gives comparison to Apple's iPad Air

Posted:
in iPad edited May 2015
Whether or not a new 12-plus-inch iPad becomes an actual product, case makers are betting on leaked design specifications, and a new video offers an idea of just how big a so-called "iPad Pro" might be.

The comparison of a full-size 9.7-inch iPad Air with the supposed iPad Pro cases was shared by YouTube channel Unbox Therapy on Friday. The cases suggest that Apple's anticipated larger iPad will sport about the same thickness as the current-generation iPad Air 2.

An enlarged printout of the iPad Air 2 scaled to fit the new cases shows a screen that measures about 12.5 inches diagonally, though rumors have suggested Apple will adopt a 12.9-inch display for the new model.

The printed mockup features a total width of 8.75 inches, and a height of exactly 12 inches. The diagonal measurement for the entire case is about 14.5 inches.

In addition to the 9.7-inch iPad Air, Apple also offers the 7.9-inch iPad mini. It's expected that if Apple does in fact launch a 12.9-inch iPad, it might market it toward professional-level users, including accessories such as a stylus or keyboard attachment, and design changes like a landscape stereo speaker array and potentially the inclusion of a USB-C port for syncing and/or charging.

The cases lend support to rumors of stereo speakers, showing four ports -- two on each side -- when the device is held in landscape mode. They also show space for the traditional power/lock button, volume controls, and side microphone.

In addition, both the bottom of the case and the side have identical cutouts. The placement of the cutout on the bottom is where the Lightning connector exists on current iPads.

Unbox Therapy noted that the new side port shown on the case does not look wide enough for a SIM card tray, further suggesting that it could be an additional input port for professional users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    Artists? Who else could this gigantic slab be aimed at? I can't imagine too many people thrusting And tieing to the of top of their car, appling the red safety flag and towing to Starbucks
  • Reply 2 of 50
    Please proof your titles before posting!
  • Reply 3 of 50
    thismartythismarty Posts: 13member
    Awesome! Now if only I could run/store a library of application software on it without having to kneel before the appStore. And if I could have a common filespace shared by all applications without having to side-step app data sandboxing. And if I could use an active-matrix pen to draw in non-drawing-with-a-sausage mode. And I could ... hmmmm, maybe I'll just buy a Microsoft Surface instead. ;-)
  • Reply 4 of 50
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thismarty View Post

Awesome! Now if only I could run/store a library of application software on it without having to kneel before the appStore. And if I could have a common filespace shared by all applications without having to side-step app data sandboxing. And if I could use an active-matrix pen to draw in non-drawing-with-a-sausage mode. And I could ... hmmmm, maybe I'll just buy a Microsoft Surface instead. ;-)

And have a half-baked OS that neither works well for a desktop PC or a tablet?  No thanks.  WinCE (literally), WinMo, Win8, 8.1, 10... maybe next decade they'll get it right.

• Reply 5 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thismarty View Post

-You can run software without 'kneeling before the appStore.'  Go research the Apple Enterprise Developer Program.  Any company that would be buying iPad Pros is already a part of this program.

-iOS8 apps can share data without breaking sandboxing.  

Any other fails you want to type to make a fool of yourself?

• Reply 6 of 50
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    All it needs are enhanced multitasking (which we've already seen Apple has been working on) and a pro stylus (first-party option).

It may not be the #1 mainstream model, but it will be a great tool. Hope it ships.
  • Reply 7 of 50
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

8.5" x 11" screen may be?

• Reply 8 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rp2011 View Post

Artists? Who else could this gigantic slab be aimed at? I can't imagine too many people thrusting And tieing to the of top of their car, appling the red safety fag and towing to Starbucks

I believe one of the complaints from schools implementing iPads was that the 9.7" screen was a bit small. I've seen a number of posters who said a larger screen would be great for placing on a music stand and reading/playing music. Artists, photographers, anyone reading manuals a lot, etc would likely find this very useful.

With the second part of your post ... like all the people with larger, heavier laptops that also thrusted and tied those to the tops of their cars with red safety "fag" headed to Starbucks? Seriously, it's not that big. It would slip easily into many a bag or even quite a few women's purses I've seen.

• Reply 9 of 50
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rp2011 View Post

Artists? Who else could this gigantic slab be aimed at? I can't imagine too many people thrusting And tieing to the of top of their car, appling the red safety fag and towing to Starbucks

Adobe got a whole range of really interesting apps for the iPad.

The extra screen estate is going to be heaven for creatives if combined with Force Touch and a stylus.

However, I am a bit surprised by its size ... the size of the 12 inch Macbook hits the sweet spot.

• Reply 10 of 50
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Bored of the iPad.  It was ok, but not useful enough to justify a separate device.  Can't imagine a bigger size will make enough difference.

• Reply 11 of 50
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    crowley wrote: »
    Bored of the iPad.  It was ok, but not useful enough to justify a separate device.  Can't imagine a bigger size will make enough difference.

The iPad is for people who lead a loose, relaxed, and multifacted life. Bohemian types, people who need to look up stuff at any time to expand their horizons. People who never get bored.

It's not for uptight people who lead compartmentalized lives, who like to sit up straight at their desks like they have a stick up their backs. People who are boring enough to get bored.
  • Reply 12 of 50

^ Thanks, nice to meet you too.

• Reply 13 of 50

^ Yes, a Macbook Air.  Why?

• Reply 14 of 50
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    I suppose a larger iPad would be good for textbooks, journal articles, newspapers and such. It needs to retain a 4:3 aspect ratio and provide proper stylus support. Despite some people's views the Surface 3 (pro) is in fact very good as both a tablet and a computer. Moreover, it has proper stylus support as opposed to the expensive half baked options using Bluetooth on the iPad. It is true that the current Windows app store is underwhelming. If that ever get fixed things could change very rapidly as I am sure Netscape users once experienced.

Both Apple and Microsoft have similar problems. The desktop doesn't work well as a tablet and the touch interface has its limitations. Apple has to beef up iOS and Microsoft has to ween people away from the desktop. Not easy problems, especially given the so many people cling to the medevial typewriter input for communications (thus leaving scientific and artistic communications as poor cousins). No wonder we cling to 60 year old Office type communications addressing issues that really require far more sophisticated interaction.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    If this is real... And if it allows for Cintiq style artistry, I'm more than ready to purchase.
  • Reply 16 of 50
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Unbox Therapy should be called what it is: Mr. #bendgate's money making scheme.
  • Reply 17 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

That explains it.

I dont see why you would need both a Macbook and an iPad

Me neither.  Glad we agree.

• Reply 18 of 50
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

That thing looks huge!

That's great! Sign me up for one!

I'm real happy with my iPad Air 2, but I would buy an iPad Pro immediately, as soon as it's available!

The bigger, the better!

• Reply 19 of 50
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

The iPad is for people who lead a loose, relaxed, and multifacted life. Bohemian types, people who need to look up stuff at any time to expand their horizons. People who never get bored.

It's not for uptight people who lead compartmentalized lives, who like to sit up straight at their desks like they have a stick up their backs. People who are boring enough to get bored.

There are different use case scenarios for people who have multifaceted lifestyles. When relaxing in the family room watching TV, I might occasionally use my iPad to look up something. When at the office, I use a Mac Pro or an iMac. When traveling, I use my rMBP. I also use my home iMac if I want to compose a lengthy email or do some serious writing. You don't need to characterize people as uptight or bored just because they work and relax differently. I look at it as just choosing the right tool for the job. Sometimes it is an iPad, but in my case, I would not gain any benefit from an iPad Pro because it would not replace my MBP and for my typical iPad use it offers no additional benefits by just being larger. 

• Reply 20 of 50
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Believe me, if Apple release the big one, there're many features built in that you won't get on Air or Mini.