NBC Sports channel unexpectedly disappears from some Apple TV boxes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited May 2015
In the midst of the NHL playoffs and hype for the Kentucky Derby, a number of users have found that the Apple TV channel to stream those events, NBC Sports Live Extra, has unexpectedly disappeared from their set-top box.

The NBC Sports Live Extra channel, which debuted earlier this week, is the exclusive home of popular sports content. But some who found the channel on their Apple TV at launch have since discovered that it has disappeared and can no longer be accessed.

Multiple readers who reached out to AppleInsider indicated that they had successfully activated and used the NBC Sports channel on their Apple TV, only for it to vanish. One person had their feed cut out and the channel disappear in the midst of watching an NHL playoff game.

Users have also taken to the official Apple Support Communities forums, where multiple threads (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) address the same issue. While some had the channel disappear from their Apple TV, others say it never showed up in the first place.

Various steps taken to fix the issue, including restarting or resetting the Apple TV, apparently do not work. The problems are said to apply to both second- and third-generation Apple TV units.

One person posting on the forums under the username "Choppa104" said they spoke with an Apple technician for over an hour, only to then speak to a manager who allegedly said the disappearance for some users is a technical issue that will be fixed.

"NBC Sports was released, we all rushed to activate, and we crashed things," they wrote. "So now they are doing a structured roll out where customers will get it at random times in order to prevent another crash."

NBC and its family of networks, including the NBC Sports Network, are the exclusive home of both the NHL and the Triple Crown.

NBC is also the home of NASCAR's Sprint Cup Series. And when the National Football League is in season, the network is also home to the weekly Sunday Night Football matchup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Not sure if its still on my ATV, but when I tried it a few days ago... the picture was better than the cable HD channel version!

• Reply 2 of 23
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    No more soup!
  • Reply 3 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

No more soup!

...for you!

• Reply 4 of 23
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member

I can think of many Apple TV channels I wish would "unexpectedly disappear".

• Reply 5 of 23
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    I'll put money down it isn't fixed until the stanley cup is over.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Lots of strange things happen on the ?TV. A week or so ago I had my "Movies" button completely missing from the top row, the one you can't edit, and was replaced with the "Settings" button instead. Few hours later it was back to normal.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

NBC and its family of networks, including the NBC Sports Network, are the exclusive home of both the NHL and the Triple Crown.

NBC is also the home of NASCAR's Sprint Cup Series. And when the National Football League is in season, the network is also home to the weekly Sunday Night Football matchup.

...and of course all owned by COMCAST

• Reply 8 of 23
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Thank you Apple! When I heard about this channel recently, I made a note to myself, that this is yet another channel that I need to hide on my Apple TV, but now they have saved me the work of hiding it, granted it wouldn't have taken more than a second or two to do.

• Reply 9 of 23
    After reading the article, I turned on my Apple TV, updated it and checked for the NBCSports channel and it's not there. Thank goodness I have it on my cable. As a huge hockey fan, I would be pixxed if I couldn't see a game........
  • Reply 10 of 23
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Thank you Apple! When I heard about this channel recently, I made a note to myself, that this is yet another channel that I need to hide on my Apple TV, but now they have saved me the work of hiding it, granted it wouldn't have taken more than a second or two to do.
    Each to their own. For many of us, it's a great way to watch premiership soccer, and was great in a previous incarnation to watch some Olympics.
    I have so called HD TV, but I also have found even streaming via AirPlay live extra from my iPad was better than the cable TV channel
  • Reply 11 of 23
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Each to their own. For many of us, it's a great way to watch premiership soccer, and was great in a previous incarnation to watch some Olympics.
    I have so called HD TV, but I also have found even streaming via AirPlay live extra from my iPad was better than the cable TV channel

Neither of those appeal to me. In fact, nothing on that channel would appeal to me. Those sports leagues are all in the Stone Age when it comes to media anyway.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

This is a bad thing?

• Reply 13 of 23
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

I can think of many Apple TV channels I wish would "unexpectedly disappear".

You know you can hide unwanted channels right?

• Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"NBC Sports was released, we all rushed to activate, and we crashed things," they wrote. "So now they are doing a structured roll out where customers will get it at random times in order to prevent another crash."

So what happens after the structured rollout when all those who have signed up suddenly all want to watch the same event?

• Reply 15 of 23
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

You know you can hide unwanted channels right?

For anybody who might not know.

Just press and hold to wiggle the channel, just like on iOS, then you can select to hide it!

• Reply 16 of 23
    The best thing they offer is the Tour de France in July. It'd be great to have that channel (already) on the ATV--- instead of throwing the feed from my iPhone-
  • Reply 17 of 23
    narcomanarcoma Posts: 37member

Still present on my ATV

• Reply 18 of 23
    maccaguymaccaguy Posts: 70member

Since I watch quite a bit of NBC Sport's programming, I'm glad to have their offerings as an option on my AppleTVs. If the streaming channel offered F1, like the broadcast channel, it would be awesome.

• Reply 19 of 23
    jafujafu Posts: 9member
    I watched the Canadians hockey game last night and it worked fine. Maybe it has been fixed.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member
    I wish Apple would add more International channels. Apple does have customers outsider the US :\